• March 28, 2024, 04:56:52 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: 320L and mylink  (Read 6602 times)

ravenj

• Level 1 Member
320L and mylink
« on: December 20, 2012, 02:36:32 AM »

Hello
I’m a recent 320L owner. Since I’m also a Linux user, I had to setup my server through the web browser without using the windows configuration utility.

Everything is working very well except mydlink, which requires running the windows setup utility to register. Is there any workaround to this?

Also, after setting up the server, I found a very old windows xp laptop. Connected the 320L directly to it, the software detects the server (power light blinking) but when I try to insert my password there’s always a message saying it’s the wrong one. However, I always access the server using the password I’ve tried.

Can anyone please help me? This is kind an important feature for me.

Thank you in advance.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: 320L and mylink
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 06:59:20 AM »

The setup utility is required to create a mydlink account. Your best bet is to use a Windows PC for registration purposes.

Regarding the password issue, are you referring to the web UI login? If this is the case you can always reset the DNS-320L to the factory default settings. This procedure will reset the username/password combination and should not impact your stored data or HDD configuration: DNS ShareCenter - Restoring Factory Default Settings
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

ravenj

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 07:20:59 AM »

Thank you for your help.
I was afraid resetting to default would clean my data. If that doesn’t happen, I’ll see if doing it can solve my problem
Regards

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 07:30:51 AM »

The reset procedure is designed to keep your data/HDD configuration in tact.  Only the username/password and user settings (share settings, scheduled backup settings, etc) will be cleared.

ravenj

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 08:00:56 AM »

Thank you again for the reinsurance.

Just need to say Linux users are being left out by dlink. I believe this isn’t the way. I won't buy windows just to use a service provided by my linux-based server.

regards

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 08:42:03 AM »

The general requirement to use an external application to register for mydlink is a point of contention for many mydlink users, particularly D-Link IP camera owners, who have had to use the CD application for mydlink registration for almost two years now.

I would think that the mydlink website can incorporate a web app that can discover local mydlink compliant devices.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 08:43:55 AM by JavaLawyer »

ravenj

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 09:05:34 AM »

I’m really not upset with the process itself. It’s Dlink’s choice and, probably, they have their reasons.

I’m just not happy with the absence of the utility for Linux systems. It’s a discriminating option that, nowadays, doesn’t make any sense. I’m directly affected buy it but, ultimately, it’s just my opinion.

It’s ridiculous that, being a Linux user, I have to borrow a pc with windows just to activate my Dlink account.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 09:11:42 AM »

You've pointed out one more reason why the registration process should be OS agnostic.  ;)
A web application that communicates directly with the device could achieve that goal.

ravenj

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 09:22:06 AM »

I believe the firmware itself, accessed through a web browser, could guarantee the OS agnostic app, as you say, and, at the same time, make sure the user as an eligible dlink product for mydlink cloud.

Mausschubser

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 11:37:21 AM »

Hi JavaLawyer!

I agree to ravenj to integrate the access to mydlink adminsitration into the device's firmware, but for some other reasons.

I found it very strange how the mydlink access was organized through the admin account and the main password, so I liked to unsubscribe the device from mydlink. This is only possible through the mydlink website, and includes a factory reset of the device ! - not very nice.
It is not possible to delete the device from mydlink through the setup program nor through its internal web site.
I really don't like the idea of having a backdoor open in the system. There is no device internal indication to the status of mydlink.

Is there a chance to remove the mydlink access from the device without resetting it completely?

Fortunately I backed up the settings in the configuration settings file before that, but:
When I restore the settings from this configuration file, is the mydlink access restored as well or not?