• March 28, 2024, 11:01:34 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Recording-what method do you use?  (Read 5608 times)

brian5

Recording-what method do you use?
« on: April 10, 2012, 07:18:32 PM »

So, I just picked up one of these units(for no reason in particular) and I'm trying to decide on a good method of recording.  I tried the SD card, which works... grabs everything.... but it's like 1000 one minute videos to scan through.  The ftp mode(correct me if I'm wrong) doesn't send continuous video but selected lengths of time after trigger.  I think the best method to record several hours into one clip would be for me to capture the stream on my server(using mplayer or similar since I can't run the dlink software).
    Anyone doing something different? Can it write >1min clips to the SD?

dannycalgary87

• Level 1 Member
Re: Recording-what method do you use?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 07:28:39 AM »

Don't use the SD feature of this camera. But I'll explain my setup, maybe you will find something useful.

I use the D-View camera software that comes with all these cameras and set up motion detection within the software. The interface isn't all that intuitive, but the playback system is pretty good. You go into playback mode, highlight the area of interest in time and hit play. This way you only get times where there are motion events and you don't have to go searching.

The big drawback with this software right now is that you need a windows machine running all the time for it. I tried out ZoneMinder software on ubuntu but found issues with camera processes crashing all the time.

Good luck

salemike

• Level 1 Member
Re: Recording-what method do you use?
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 02:21:42 PM »

I have a similar problem to Brian's. I'm using the D-link software to record tom my Windows XP PC. I get a bunch of 1 min .avi files.

I'm wondering is there a way to make the file length larger or is there software to easily merge a lot of avi files.