• March 28, 2024, 05:11:54 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Users and multiple folder access  (Read 9609 times)

FastM

• Level 2 Member
Users and multiple folder access
« on: March 04, 2008, 07:02:08 AM »

Hey all, I just picked up a DNS-323 yesterday with 2x WD 500gig HD's and set them up in Raid-0.

Initial setup went real smooth, transfer speeds are okay at best (fastest I've seen copying to DNS is around 14% of my Gigabit connection ~17megs/sec) but around where i expected. I havent tested read speed yet although it has no trouble at all streaming 10gig HD movies so im happy.

Concerning User's and Acces. Either im totaly missing something or i have discovered a Huge limitation thats really giving me second thoughts about keeping this product.

I cant get the same User to have Access to more than one folder at a time. Through the use with Groups or not. ex, under FTP settings User "Rich" has r/w access to a "RichFolder" I created on the root. Fine, i also have a "Movies" folder i want rich to only have r access to but as soon as i add that share, the DNS automaticly removes the intial RichFolder share. whats up with that??? I cant believe Dlink would go to all this trouble creating a FTP server and have such a Limited user access setup? can they?

FastM

• Level 2 Member
Re: Users and multiple folder access
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 01:05:47 PM »

well...

called d-link 1-800 support this morning and spoke to a nice guy, understood exactly what I was trying to do and and ask me to give him a couple hours and he would go talk to a Engineer in the lab and test what im talking about.

He just called me back (same day) and turns out it IS a limitaion of the device... kinda sucks. Althout he agreed with me that the unit should be alble to specify more than one share per user. He said he's going to make a request to the engineers for the next firmware update but cant promise anything.

Iv'e got 10days until i cant return the unit anymore... what to do...

mcduarte2000

• Level 2 Member
    • Miguel Duarte
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 01:54:25 PM »

I cant get the same User to have Access to more than one folder at a time. Through the use with Groups or not. ex, under FTP settings User "Rich" has r/w access to a "RichFolder" I created on the root. Fine, i also have a "Movies" folder i want rich to only have r access to but as soon as i add that share, the DNS automaticly removes the intial RichFolder share. whats up with that???

This doesn't happen with me... Are you using the latest firmware?

FastM

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 02:17:45 PM »

yes are you?

I was thinking about going back down to 1.3 to try...

g2

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 03:32:24 PM »

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=1087.0

Yes, it is baffling; I've got my finger crossed for a firmware update soon...

mcduarte2000

• Level 2 Member
    • Miguel Duarte
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 03:32:46 PM »

yes are you?

I was thinking about going back down to 1.3 to try...

Yes... I created a group, and then added R access to a folder (on the root), and R/W access to another folder (on the root also)...

FastM

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 03:52:21 PM »

Yes... I created a group, and then added R access to a folder (on the root), and R/W access to another folder (on the root also)...

With that setup, say you want one of the users in the Casa group to have sole access to his/her private folder. wont work.

Basicly, 1 user cant be part of more than 1 group OR 1 user cant have access to more than one folder without groups...
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 03:57:53 PM by FastM »

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 05:26:18 PM »

Ok lets not get off topic here. The original thread was regarding FTP access not network shares. Regarding FTP, you can not currently setup the same user/group to multiple folders. It is a VERY standard FTP setup where you create a user and his access which is his ROOT folder. We do not allow "alias folders/symlinks" to other folders so what you are asking for is currently not available from the DNS-323. In order to add this type of functionality it will take a rework of the GUI and how it handles the FTP server. I would suggest making sure this topic is mentioned in the firmware suggestions thread and we will look into adding this functionality in a future firmware.

FastM

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 07:20:36 PM »

The same problem affects simple network share as well.

mcduarte2000

• Level 2 Member
    • Miguel Duarte
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 08:39:22 PM »

Basicly, 1 user cant be part of more than 1 group OR 1 user cant have access to more than one folder without groups...

I tested it. You are right, one user can only belong to 1 group. But, 1 user can have access to more than one folder without groups... (if we are talking about the "Network Access" section)

FastM

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2008, 05:44:11 AM »

I tested it. You are right, one user can only belong to 1 group. But, 1 user can have access to more than one folder without groups... (if we are talking about the "Network Access" section)

you are corrent sir, the multiple Folder Issue only affects the FTP shares. thanks for testing it with me.

I guess I got a little confused going back and forth......