• April 23, 2024, 03:31:58 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Need setup help with 2 DWL-2100 AP  (Read 6369 times)

garyatshepherd

• Level 1 Member
Need setup help with 2 DWL-2100 AP
« on: September 16, 2009, 12:58:45 PM »

We have a 2100 AP wired to our network in one building and going wirelessly to another 2100 across the parking lot.  After several years of good service, we lost connectivity to the remote AP.  We upgraded to the 2.13 firmware, so we no longer had the bridge mode that f/w 2.00 allowed.

Since then, we have tried many different settings (mostly WDS w/AP on the home side and WDS on the remote side) but we lose service every day (an aged coment appears, sometimes preceeded by deauth and disassoc comments).  We only want the two 2100 talking to each other wirelessly - everything else is wired to switches which are wired to the AP's.

Don't know what aging is and can't find the definition of the reason modes I've seen in the logs (mostly 2 and 7).  We use the same SSID, broadcast it, don't filter, and have each other's MAC address in the other's list.  We're trying setting both as WDS w/AP now.

Any info on the error information in the logs and set-up information that might keep this network going (our remote building is a school and they hate losing Internet and e-mail - as well as shared files and printers. 

The 2100 use D-Link power over ethernet since the kids used to unplug them - not sure if that has become a problem.

Thanks, Gary
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 01:29:24 PM by garyatshepherd »

ea3bil

• Level 1 Member
Re: Need setup help with 2 DWL-2100 AP
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 12:06:51 PM »

Hello,

Here my own experience...

I own 2 x DWL2100AP since about 2 years.

Current firmware:
Firmware Version: v2.20eu
http://picasaweb.google.es/lh/photo/CJCAHUVhlMs0izsOebED6g?feat=directlink

I use them to link  two rooms in my flat and I have only experienced a little configuration issue:
I was not able at all to change the radio channel in one of these devices (some bug on Firmware??)

They only breakdown I experienced was because of an electrical storm... One of the power adaptors died.
I had an equivalent, 5v, 2A now... And they work perfectly (no line drops, no traffic jams...)

Just one more comments, I've been Help Desk technician for six years working at least one day a week from home.

The closer one to the 'DSL', is wire connected to the ISP router.

The remote extreme there's a 8 ports switch for 2 computers, a Plextor NAS and a PS2.
Also use a laptop VPN tunneling, VoIP inside and outside the VPN and it works smooth.

Please have a look to my configuration  (fingers crossed)  I hope this will help you.

They work in WDS Bridge AP (As you may see on the image)
http://picasaweb.google.es/lh/photo/Kri2-26Up5eVsOrYwRx98A?feat=directlink

garyatshepherd

• Level 1 Member
Re: Need setup help with 2 DWL-2100 AP
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 12:43:28 PM »

:)Thanks - we are running with Turbo, so we can try and change that.

Also, I think we'll try removing the power over ethernet to the remote WAP and use the wall socket again - maybe its has been damaged while remaining partially functional.

The system stayed up for four days straight before going off last night.  This time, we didn't even reset the power to the remote WAP.  I accessed the AP manager from the "good" side.  At first, it only detected the WAP in its buidling.  I reapplied the current settings and soon after the other WAP was detected and service resumed to the remote building.  We may have to turn on a constant ping or something to keep the system awake - I believe I saw something called HostSaver??

Thanks for your insights - we hope to keep using these for a while, but maybe the WAP's are just getting old.  Do-able to work with if you have full tech support, but trying to service the school when you don't want to be on-site all the time is a pain....