The Graveyard - Products No Longer Supported > DIR-880L

How to require WPA2 (and disable WPA)

(1/4) > >>

Drax:
I recently had my Wi-Fi hacked, and realized that my router was set up to allow WPA connections. Since WPA has a known security flaw, I'd like to disable that and require WPA2.

Even the latest firmware version (1.08WW, Wed 24 Jan 2018) only has the options None, WEP (which is even more insecure than WPA), and "WPA/WPA2-Personal". Is there really no way to disable WPA? I'm hoping that I'm missing something, since otherwise I probably need to buy a new router.  :-(

Mark_KF8RV:
I don't think that just WPA2 is possible on this router.  I wish there was an option to select 'WPA2 Only'.

Perhaps a future fireware version for the DIR-880L will become configurable for WPA2 Only.

Also, I think that WPA3 is in the works by the WiFi industry.

Mark

FurryNutz:
All current DIR routers support WPA and WPA2. D-Link for some reason chooses to use Auto for both WPA and WPA2 options. Not sure why they don't offer WPA2 Only. Maybe for backwards compatibility.

Would need to see if your devices or wifi was really hacked or compromised. Need more information. How did you determine your wireless was hacked? You sure it's WPA? What devices do you have that are using WPA?

--- Quote from: Drax on April 08, 2018, 08:17:36 AM ---I recently had my Wi-Fi hacked, and realized that my router was set up to allow WPA connections. Since WPA has a known security flaw, I'd like to disable that and require WPA2.

Even the latest firmware version (1.08WW, Wed 24 Jan 2018) only has the options None, WEP (which is even more insecure than WPA), and "WPA/WPA2-Personal". Is there really no way to disable WPA? I'm hoping that I'm missing something, since otherwise I probably need to buy a new router.  :-(

--- End quote ---

GreenBay42:
The router when set to AUTO will default to WPA2 if the client supports it, if not it will go to WPA.  WPA2 has security flaws also (KRACK). Make sure you have the latest firmware and the latest drivers for your wireless adapters and latest updates for iOS and Android.

Drax:
FurryNutz -

Slow speeds led me to check traffic stats, and I saw that there was a high amount of traffic. I then looked at the list of client devices, and saw that there was a wireless client I didn't recognize. That's how I figured I got hacked.

What devices do I have using WPA? None. Which is why I'd prefer to disable it. Am I sure that the hacker was using WPA? No, because I couldn't see anywhere on the router where I could tell which encryption scheme a user was using.

While I know, as GreenBay42 pointed out, that WPA2 has security flaws as well, I'd still rather not make it trivially easy for someone to steal my Wi-Fi, which is the case with WPA enabled.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version