The Graveyard - Products No Longer Supported > DIR-879

Is QoS Broken? Doesn't seem to work....

<< < (2/3) > >>

FurryNutz:
What is currently set for the WAN port speed? Auto or 1000Mb? Set 1000Mb if you haven't tried this.

I'll have D-Link come review this...

Gattsu:
Please explain what "network lag" means in your environment.

What bothers me is the intermittent WAN connection. Try manually setting the WAN port speed to 1000Mbit, as FurryNutz suggested. On your wired computer set a ping to 8.8.8.8 and router's IP with "-t" at the end of the command for continuous ping. When the issue is replicated the wired connection should not be be timing out. If we can get a stable wired connection, then we can figure out the other issues.

When the 2.4Ghz stops working, does it recover?

Gattsu:
Here is my Test setup:
-DIR-879L A1 1.05 default settings
-LG-G2 (wireless 2.4)
-Laptop DWA-160 N speed (wireless 2.4)
-WAN max speed 100/100mbit

-Disabled Smart Connect and 5ghz SSID
-QoS enabled with 40 down / 40 up

-LG-G2 set to Medium priority
-laptop set to High Priority

Speed Test results:
-LG-G2 = 35-39Mbit down and up.
-Laptop = 33-39Mbit down and up.

This setup has been running over the weekend  with 2 Youtube HD videos playing at the same time for each of the two computer connected via wireless 2.4ghz.

-No connection lost with 20 other devices connected on 2.4ghz, while running the speed test on the prioritized test computers.

jtg117:

--- Quote from: Gattsu on October 30, 2017, 09:04:22 AM ---Please explain what "network lag" means in your environment.

What bothers me is the intermittent WAN connection. Try manually setting the WAN port speed to 1000Mbit, as FurryNutz suggested. On your wired computer set a ping to 8.8.8.8 and router's IP with "-t" at the end of the command for continuous ping. When the issue is replicated the wired connection should not be be timing out. If we can get a stable wired connection, then we can figure out the other issues.

When the 2.4Ghz stops working, does it recover?

--- End quote ---

Network lag , By that I would mean, Ping times. Sometimes on WiFi Devices, I would get a ping response time of like 500-600ms. Webpages would take ages to load, but on wired Connections, it would be fine.

When the 2.4Ghz stops working, does it recover? I would have to say no, but I would just normally restart the router.

--- Quote from: Gattsu on October 30, 2017, 12:32:14 PM ---Here is my Test setup:
-DIR-879L A1 1.05 default settings
-LG-G2 (wireless 2.4)
-Laptop DWA-160 N speed (wireless 2.4)
-WAN max speed 100/100mbit

-Disabled Smart Connect and 5ghz SSID
-QoS enabled with 40 down / 40 up

-LG-G2 set to Medium priority
-laptop set to High Priority

Speed Test results:
-LG-G2 = 35-39Mbit down and up.
-Laptop = 33-39Mbit down and up.

This setup has been running over the weekend  with 2 Youtube HD videos playing at the same time for each of the two computer connected via wireless 2.4ghz.

-No connection lost with 20 other devices connected on 2.4ghz, while running the speed test on the prioritized test computers.

--- End quote ---

I decided to try the QoS Feature again and i think Setting the WAN port speed fixed the problem. So far ive been running it since 12AM - 3 hours later i still have not experience any WiFi disconnections so far or the router disconnecting from the modem....strange?

I think setting the WAN Port Speed fixed it? How though lol...This is such a random problem, Without configuring that setting, i had all sort of problems, now its working?  O.o?

Anyways! I'm returning the router. I just submitted a Return Request with amazon, BUT THE GOOD NEWS is im still buying another D-Link router...  :D
Either DIR-878 or DIR-880L or DIR-882 will be my next purchase, for the ability to install dd-wrt... ;D

Sadly the DIR 879 will never be support by dd-wrt  :'(

Gattsu:
Yea, 879 has a Realtek (RTL8194AR) chipset, which DD-WRT will not support.

The 882 is a little bit faster than the 880L/878. The 880L has been out longer in the market and DD-WRT community and plus mydlink cloud support. If you are going for the 882/878 make sure the wi-fi is stable with DD-wrt firmware.

880L = mimo 3x3, 2 cores 800mhz and 128mb ram
878 =  "        ''       2 cores 880mhz  and  128mb ram

882 = mimo 4x4, 2 cores 880mhz and 256mb ram.

Good luck!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version