• March 28, 2024, 05:05:55 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Help with "Warning -- Volume1 is degraded"  (Read 5146 times)

sw12345

• Level 1 Member
Help with "Warning -- Volume1 is degraded"
« on: February 03, 2012, 07:24:42 AM »

Hi,

My DNS 343 started to report the following: Warning -- Volume1 is degraded. I did a search on the forum and found the following thread:

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=40429.0

The reason I want to create a new thread is that even though my 343 is reporting this, everything seems to be working fine. First, the volume1 is still accessible; secondly, I did SMART quick test and all disks passed; all statuses are normal. Basically, I don't see anything wrong with the disks. Then I upgrade the firmware to 1.04, the problem still exists. As everything is still working, I am not sure if I really need to rebuild the raid 5.

Is there a way to fix this warning without re-building everything?

Thanks in advance. Any help is appreciated.

Steven

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: Help with "Warning -- Volume1 is degraded"
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 07:39:56 AM »

If one of your HDDs contains corrupt data, the HDD will still pass the SMART test, which strictly measures the health of the hardware.  AFAIK there is no way to fix the a "volume degraded" message without a rebuild.

If you choose to rebuild, please make sure you have a separate physical backup of your data before starting.
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

sw12345

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 09:05:24 AM »

Thanks for your replay, JavaLawyer!

That's what I think >:( I am burning all my backup to DVDs now ...

Two more questions:

1. when I rebuild the raid, what option should I choose? Manual rebuild? or re-create the whole said?

2. any idea why this is happening? it was fine in the morning, but started to give the message in the evening.

Thanks.
Steven

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 07:51:55 AM »

So long as you have a backup of your data, you can try the manual rebuild first, and if that fails, you can recreate the RAID. The message is most likely due to either a failing HDD or a data corruption issue.
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

BradnerBoy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 11:34:22 AM »

If I may...

I have tried both a manual and auto-rebuild of my RAID 1 config and I still am getting,  "Volume_1 : RAID 1 (Degraded)"

After doing so, I assume it's not the RAID1 Volume that's "degraded" but a drive is failing, but how do you ascertain which drive is failing?

When I try to run a "Scan Disk", nothing happens, literally. The progress bar remains at 0% for 10 minutes or more until I give up and try to cancel it. I click Logout, but nothing happens. After doing so, the search utility can no longer locate the unit, nor can it be accessed via the web config screen. I can however, ping it.

My conclusion is that it's either the unit itself or a bad drive, but I have no way of determining (at least with the DNS-323) which drive is bad.

Any suggestions to move this along to a definitive conclusion?

Thanks,

Todd.