• April 19, 2024, 07:06:08 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: VERY slow through app and mydlink site...  (Read 8874 times)

vwmech

• Level 1 Member
VERY slow through app and mydlink site...
« on: September 07, 2016, 06:35:20 AM »

I can get one decent connection to the live view from both the app and mdlink site.  Then once I try to view saved movies from the SD card, I might get a few, but the load time increases with each file chosen until the load time becomes seemingly infinite.

If I attempt to switch back to live view, it times out.

Additionally, the camera drops offline at least every 10 days.  I say at least because I don't check it daily.

These problems all started before the firmware update to 1.12.  (I posted about the problem in the 1.12 thread.)

Just this morning I logged into mydlink, got the live view, switched to the SD card and saw 'no files for playback' or something of the like (which is a totally new problem to me), tried to go back to live view and now it can't connect...

If I go back to an older version of the firmware, will I lose the ability to view through the phone/tablet app?

This unreliability will force the purchase of a new camera, and after this experience and having used dlink for years, I might have to switch brands...

Do dlink-employed support people view this forum?

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: VERY slow through app and mydlink site...
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 06:48:24 AM »

Link>Welcome!

• What region are you located?

What Mfr and model is the main host router?
What wireless modes are you using?
What is the distance between the Camera and the main host router?
How many other wireless devices do you have connected to the main host router?
  • Any 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz cordless house phones or WiFi APs near by that maybe causing interferences?
  • Any other WiFi routers in the area that maybe causing interferences? Link> Use a WiFi Scanner to find out. How many?

I recommend setting a static IP address ON the cameras outside of the main host routers default DHCP IP address pool as a troubleshooting step: 192.168.#.23  DHCP

Is upnp and upnp port forwarding enabled on the camera or disabled?
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

vwmech

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 02:07:36 PM »

Link>Welcome!

• What region are you located?
NE USA...Pittsburgh

What Mfr and model is the main host router?
Linksys M10 Passport

What wireless modes are you using?
WPA

What is the distance between the Camera and the main host router?
About 12 feet

How many other wireless devices do you have connected to the main host router?
2-3 depending: 2 smartphones and 1 laptop for about 2 hours at night while my wife does paperwork

• Any 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz cordless house phones or WiFi APs near by that maybe causing interferences?
No cordless phones. 

• Any other WiFi routers in the area that maybe causing interferences? Link> Use a WiFi Scanner to find out. How many?
Wifi that might interfere would be neighbors, but we're talking an estimated minimum of a 25 foot distance to the next closest router.

I recommend setting a static IP address ON the cameras outside of the main host routers default DHCP IP address pool as a troubleshooting step: 192.168.#.23  DHCP
I did have a static IP set, BUT...it was xxx.xxx.x.143.  I moved it out of the default range.

Is upnp and upnp port forwarding enabled on the camera or disabled?
I believe it is disabled.

I think I may have found my problem.  The SD card was a Sandisk 64GB SDXH, and I don't think the camera liked it.  Additionally, our network appliance at work tends to block certain ports, and apparently one of those might be used by the mydlink site.  That could have been part of the unreliable behavior while trying to view at work on a browser.

So here's what I did: research.  It appears that the camera is compatible with a 32GB max SDHC card.
http://www.dlink.com/uk/en/support/faq/cameras-and-surveillance/mydlink/what-is-the-max-sd-card-size-supported-on-my-mydlink-camera

I removed a 64GB SDXC card and replaced it with a smaller 4GB SDHC card I had lying around after formatting the card in a computer to NTFS.  This seemed to speed things up DESPITE having had the larger XC card in the camera for over a year.  (I did format the 64GB SDXC card after removing it to see that there were no errors on that card.  It's fine...I'm not sure how the camera was able to use it for so long without a problem.  Perhaps it was the firmware update...)

I also cranked down the motion sensitivity and pared down the motion sensing area.  After viewing some logs it appeared that, between the shadows from some trees and traffic passing by, the camera was tripping over and over and over for quite a long time throughout different times of day.

I'm hopeful that between the firmware update possibly screwing with the card compatibility (it worked well for so long), the long stretches of nearly constant writing on a nearly full moderately compatible card, and the static ip being set so close to the default ip range, the camera was just unable to process fast enough at times and it might have overheated the sd card slot and/or wifi chip.  It seems to have become pretty reliable again.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 02:14:06 PM »

Thank you for the feedback and posting your experiences. Ya, We have seen some users with SD card issues here and there. Seems like you have narrowed the issue. Hope the smaller SD card works better. Maybe at some point, reinstall the 64Gb SD card again and test and compare the differences.

Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 04:27:51 PM »

Sounds more like a motion detection gone crazy issue. Put the 64gb back in when you get a chance

vwmech

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 05:50:07 AM »

No problem FurryNutz.  I thought maybe this little bit of troubleshooting I did with your guidance might help others.  I figured that many seem to just disappear after the problem is fixed and never post their solution.  ;D  (Sorry for the sloppy reply to your post.)

RYAT3, I certainly will.  The 4GB is okay for maybe a day or two's worth of recording.  My lot is a corner lot, and I've excluded the area of the intersection to try to keep the motion of passing vehicles from triggering the camera, but at night their lights still enter the front lawn and trigger the camera.  I get alot of false hits at night time, so with my settings the 4GB card fills up quickly with night time video.  I'm thinking that either the firmware 1.12 either changed the resolution of the sensitivity, or I neglected to reduce it after the update.  The logs really helped me see that it was an issue.

I'll try to remember to post back with my results after that.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2016, 06:50:50 AM »

Hope it keeps working. Keep us posted on your experiences.  ;)

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2016, 09:46:12 AM »

camera.  I get alot of false hits at night time, so with my settings the 4GB card fills up quickly with night time video.  I'm thinking that either the firmware 1.12 either changed the resolution of the sensitivity, or I neglected to reduce it after the update.  The logs really helped me see that it was an issue.

I'll try to remember to post back with my results after that.

Turn denoise option to 25 to remove nighttime noise. Image will be slightly more blurry though.