• March 28, 2024, 12:21:50 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: What is the Matroska H.264 format? SOLVED! [See my update below]  (Read 12235 times)

HolgerM

• Level 1 Member

From the D-Ling release notes for the newest Firmware (1.02) version:

* Added support for Matroska H.264 video files

Anybody using this format successfully - and with what parameters?

- used AVC?
- what kbps rate?
- how was audio encoded?

Thanks for any pointers.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 03:48:14 PM by HolgerM »

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
Re: What is the Matroska H.264 format?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 03:29:12 PM »

Here you go..check this out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matroska
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

HolgerM

• Level 1 Member
Re: What is the Matroska H.264 format?
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 11:51:20 PM »

Thanks and pretty familiar with it - the question is: What Matroska formats run successfully on the DSM-750 - the ones I create do not work! Please share the details of your encoding and the success of it running on the DSM-750 - thanks!

HolgerM

• Level 1 Member
Re: What is the Matroska H.264 format? SOLVED! [See my update below]
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 03:49:31 PM »

Turns out this was all related not running the D-Link Media Server software on a PC on my network. This solved the issue and mkv based and H.264 encoded MP4 files play beautifully.

Kudos to D-Link Support team that even looked at my file --- but we all did miss the step that you have to run the Media Server....

bearhntr

• Level 1 Member
Re: What is the Matroska H.264 format? SOLVED! [See my update below]
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 03:01:15 PM »

To anyone that can help:

I have read literally hundreds of messages on this, and yet to have seen a working answer to resolve the issue.

I have over 300 DVDs that I am looking to get some 100 of them onto the Windows 7 machine, then eventually my WHS2003 box. 

I have successfully gotten my DSM-750 to use the MY MEDIA option to play DVDs that I have ripped from my personal collection as both VIDEO_TS/AUDIO_TS folders to a folder with the name of the movie on my Windows 7 Ultimate machine.  I am basically using this as a media server (2) 1TB HDDs installed.   

I have also ripped them as .AVI files and .MP4 files and have even given .MKV a whirl.    I am wanting to use the MCE mode of the DSM-750, not the MY MEDIA (file sharing mode) of the extender, to view my movies.  I have extensively worked get the METADATA for each movie in the folders with the folder.jpg files etc so that the MC on the Windows 7 shows me all the movies in the movies area etc. 

I would like to have the same for the MCE (DSM-750).   I know the MCE is not going to play the VIDEO_TS folders, they do not even show.  If I place the .AVI, .MP4 or .MKV files in the same folder with the other folders - they also do not show.   I have to look under VIDEOS - not a problem. 

I can get them to play, but I am getting 2-CH stereo for all of them and looking at the properties, they all show the bitrate and that there are 6 channels (how Windows 7 shows the 5.1 audio).

I have my DSM-750 attached to my SONY 7.1 capable receiver with a coax DSP connection and still the receiver shows that the audio is PCM (2CH).  Does the same with the Optical connection.

If I go through the MY MEDIA option (file sharing) I can get the same file to play with the 5.1 audio. 

I have tried many different ripping programs (going broke buying them) to get this to work.  What format should I be using to get these to work properly under the MCE interface, and not have to use 4-8gb of HDD space to do this? 

I am planning to get another DSM-750 (since DLINK is not longer making MCE's) so that I have one media server in my computer room and watch TV in the bedroom or the family room, and I want this work with the MCE interface..... NOT THE MY MEDIA INTERFACE.

What ripping method (without having to do 3-4 rips that I have seen) to get a SINGLE file with the correct container (.AVI, .MP4, .MKV, .M4V, etc) to get this working.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Curtis