• April 24, 2024, 03:17:19 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: PLayback Trouble  (Read 7432 times)

Jeff

PLayback Trouble
« on: March 14, 2008, 07:27:05 PM »

I have had flawless performance until today and I can't sort out what to troubleshoot next.

When I try to play a file, I get file format unuspported even though it is an MP4 AVI file. So, I used Nero recode (ver 2.5.5.0) and Nero "Standard" profile to recode the file. When I do this the 510 does not even see the file. Films that have played properly before still play properly. The new movies do play properly on my PC in either Nero or WMP11.

One new movie that does play has a serious lag between the audio and video, like several seconds difference in their playback. I have not done the re-code on that one at this point.

I am using Windows Vista with WMP11 as my server. My 510 has the latest firmware.

Hope I have remembered to provide what you need. Thank you for your help.

Jeff

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
Re: PLayback Trouble
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 03:34:14 PM »

WMP11 does not support MP4 streaming in the media server. I would recommend downloading the Dlink media server 1.09 software from the DSM-520 support website to support MP4 video formats. This media server work with the DSM-510 as well most any media server should work properly with this device. Here is a link to the DSM-520 support page below.

http://www.support.dlink.com/products/view.asp?productid=DSM%2D520
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

Jeff

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 04:56:41 PM »

OK, I am using Media Server 1.09. And the 510 sees it and plays back mp3s without problems. I am still having seemingly random video issues.

I have recoded the file using Nero to MP4 (Nero Digital Standard) and it is greyed out and cannot be played. Also, there is an AVI that does play through WMP11 that is also greyed out and will not play in MS1.09.

I am sure that I must be doing something stupid, but just can't see it. I actually prefer the speed of accessing files with MS1.09 so, I hope we can figure this out.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 05:02:56 PM by Jeff »

Jeff

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 05:44:32 AM »

How can I tell why some files will play and others will not? They all have the same file extensions and so it seems to me that they should all work...  Thanks for the help.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 10:50:57 AM »

It has to do with weather or not the file meets the supported file properties of the supported file type and what file types the media server program supports.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

Jeff

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 01:15:31 PM »

Well, I do get that. Is there software that I can use to determine exactly how the files is encoded so I can get some help. I mean it is supposed to support files that have been re-coded with Nero and mine does not.

From my perspective it really does seem like the weather and not whether the files are supported...

DigitalUser

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 08:04:26 AM »

Let me try to help:

What you have is an .avi file coded obviously as MPEG4 Part 2/ASP (the normal .avi stuff), NOT some kind of video file in an MPEG4 container (.mp4 file), right?

This is happening to me, too. Plays just fine on the PC, is served just fine to the box, but the box says "Invalid Format". My guess at this point is that the box, at least in part, evaluates some combination of mime type, file extension and that fourCC code. For video encoded with XVID, fourCC code XVID seems to work just fine. I am having trouble with video encoded with XVID, but with a fourCC code of DX50 (from memory, here, I might have a letter wrong). I am unfamiliar with the subtleties of it all, but I am pretty confident the source of my files is ASP, so I will give a shot to just changing the fourCC code to XVID and see what happens. If it works, maybe D-Link might want to consider adding that DX50 fourCC code as a supported value. Maybe there is more to it that escapes me at the moment. Doesn't the manual refer to the box as Divx 5 and 6 certified? I know XVID is a parallel effort to Divx, but still.

To your question, GSpot is a good video information utility. I seem to have come across MediaInfo at some point for the same purpose. For the fourCC editor, there is that .avi tag editor (abcAVI, or something) and FouCC Changer. Google is you friend to locate it all. Best of luck, and report your findings. I would love for this forum to become "the place to go" for anything on the DSM-510, and this will only get as good as our collective contributions.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 11:40:13 AM by DigitalUser »

rishabrana

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 09:42:10 PM »

I installed Dlink Media Server 1.10. It's actually much stable and better than Nero. Wonder why they even bother giving Nero with 510.
The only issue i have with Dlink Media Server is .avi & .mp4 files are greyed out.
If i use TVersity server, it shows .avi files and i can watch the .avi totally fine. I don't know why it's greying them out.
I haven't turned on transcoding in TVersity BTW. 
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 09:47:20 PM by rishabrana »

DigitalUser

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008, 03:24:20 AM »

I will give a shot to just changing the fourCC code to XVID and see what happens.
Update: This actually works. I used the fourCC Changer app, and changed the code from DX50 to XVID and the file plays just fine on the box.