• April 23, 2024, 01:54:53 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Unable to Run *.exe's On Vista  (Read 7004 times)

rcblackwell

• Level 2 Member
Unable to Run *.exe's On Vista
« on: February 11, 2008, 05:04:11 PM »

The firmware on my NAS has been updated from version 1.03 to 1.04.

Using Vista I'm unable to run *.exe's from the NAS. An error occurs; "The specified network password is incorrect.". I'm attempting to run the *.exe from a mapped drive and have no trouble reading and writing to the same drive. I suspect a Vista setting (Policy or Service) needs to be tweaked as when User Account Control (UAC) is disabled, *.exe's run without a problem.

I'm sure this isn't a firewall or virus scanner issue as both have been disabled during my attempts to get *.exe's to run.

Can anyone here offer a solution to this issue?

Bob Blackwell
Pickering, ON
Bob Blackwell
Pickering, ON

AFTICARR.COM

Banshee1971

• Level 3 Member
Re: Unable to Run *.exe's On Vista
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 05:58:56 AM »

I remember one thing, Microsoft can be "pain in the ass" somethime.
For my case, i use the same "username" and "password" in Windows, and on the NAS. So i never get the error message "bad password". Even in V1.03 or V1.04.

The problems is : if Windows shut down the network connexion after inactivity, when you click the network drive again, it try to connect using the actual "username and password" connected to Windows (when you logon). If this username and password are different then the one create on the NAS, you get an error message.

Here how i'm configure :
Windows : 2 username create
- Admin with Administrator privilege
- normaluser with user provilege

i alway log in the normaluser. I create the normal user with a username and a password, and i create this username and password on the nas.
i also MAP 5 drive to the NAS (to a specific folder for each drive), using a batch file with username password provide.

In V1.03 : i can't execute file from NAS, and also when i open an Excell file and click save, Excel ask me if i want to create a backup or overwrite. I click Overwrite.
In V1.04 : this problems is fix (EXE and Excel) ... but i lost my printer, and DNS resolution, so i revert to V1.03.

rcblackwell

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 02:48:54 PM »

For my case, i use the same "username" and "password" in Windows, and on the NAS. So i never get the error message "bad password"................  i alway log in the normaluser. I create the normal user with a username and a password, and i create this username and password on the nas.

The user name and password on both NAS and Windows are the same. I'm wondering if using a capital in the user name would create a problem? The user name on both devices is Robert. I've heard Linux sometimes has problem with capital letters in a user name. Could this be one of those times?

i also MAP 5 drive to the NAS (to a specific folder for each drive), using a batch file with username password provide.

What's in your batch file? Are you using a use net command to map each drive?

In V1.03 : i can't execute file from NAS, and also when i open an Excell file and click save, Excel ask me if i want to create a backup or overwrite. I click Overwrite.

I had the same issues. From what I've seen V1.04 fixed the Excel problem but for me it hasn't fixed the exe problem.

In V1.04 : this problems is fix (EXE and Excel) ... but i lost my printer, and DNS resolution, so i revert to V1.03.

Other than being unable to run exe's I'm pleased to say I had not problems with the upgrade.
Bob Blackwell
Pickering, ON

AFTICARR.COM

Rara Avis

• Imperator
  • Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 04:58:01 PM »

You used the L word, now I have to step in.

You are absolutely right, under usual circumstances a capital letter at the beginning of a username will not be appreciated by Linux.  Have you tried any users without that fatal flaw?
Nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit. - Seneca
There has never been a great genius without a element of madness.

Banshee1971

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 04:00:29 AM »

In some case with some application, capital letter can cause problems. I never use Capital letter "just in case".
For the MAP, i use the "NET USE" command. You can use it only once if you add /persistent:yes  at the end

rcblackwell

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 02:06:46 PM »

You used the L word, now I have to step in.

You are absolutely right, under usual circumstances a capital letter at the beginning of a username will not be appreciated by Linux.  Have you tried any users without that fatal flaw?

I've tried every permutation I can think of. This thing just won't run exe's under Vista Business  :'(

Bob
Bob Blackwell
Pickering, ON

AFTICARR.COM