• April 19, 2024, 02:45:45 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Encoding with Dolby Surround Sound  (Read 4261 times)

simoncutting

• Level 1 Member
Encoding with Dolby Surround Sound
« on: April 02, 2008, 11:06:47 AM »

Has anyone discovered a way to encode an MP4/AVI movie and maintain the Dolby soundtrack?  I'm starting with a decrypted DVD image in VOB files.  I've read that the DSM-520 will just pass the Dolby soundtrack through and not try to do anything with it, but I haven't managed to find a way to put the soundtrack in the AVI container.  I don't mind buying software, I just want something that works.

I have only managed it by using Nero to merge all the main movie VOBs of a DVD into one big VOB.  The problem is the movie displays in letterbox which looks like a thin strip across the screen - not acceptable unfortunately.

thanks

skeil909

Re: Encoding with Dolby Surround Sound
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 02:42:43 PM »

AutoGK works fantastic for DivX/XviD with AC3/DTS pass-through.

Also...If you happen to come across a movie that encodes with out-of-sync audio.
Do a 30 second (no compression) re-author in Dvd-Shrink and it will encode just fine.  ;D
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 02:48:35 PM by skeil909 »

simoncutting

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 10:18:39 AM »

Thanks for the tip.  I tried AutoGK with the audio passthrough and it worked like a charm  ;D - good quality video (2h 35m video rendered into a hair under 2GB - took about 4 hrs but my PC is not configured for speed yet).  I had no issue with the sound on playback.  This is going to be my standard operating procedure from now on.  AutoGK provides great batch support which lets me queue up many DVDs for conversion and then just let it run.

I'll try the DVDShrink tip too, I haven't found any other way to get the audio back in sync that will be very helpful. 

I've put the AutoGK information into two threads because anyone trying to create avi video files to watch on the 520, even with garden variety stereo sound, will benefit.  There are so many ways to create digital video files and so many variables plus the DSM-520 appears fickle in it's file support (realistically it probably isn't but just appears that way because there are no prescriptive instructions for creating digital video files that it will play and are of good quality).  DLink points people towards Nero, which is a nice piece of software but you don't need it for creating avi files, and it can't pass through the audio as far as I could tell. 

Thanks

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 03:24:43 PM »

Digital Audio is passed through directly to the receiver. Your digital receiver must support the digital signal being sent. Therefor you digital receiver must support the Dolby digital signal received for audio playback.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream