• April 25, 2024, 08:17:31 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DNS-327L - Setting up a local backup across a LAN  (Read 12276 times)

martin_d41

• Level 1 Member
DNS-327L - Setting up a local backup across a LAN
« on: January 21, 2014, 04:29:54 PM »

Hi,

Can anyone provide me with the correct way of configuring the local backup from the 327 to my PC.  Everytime I test the URL I get a test result of "failed".

Thanks!

martin_d41

• Level 1 Member
Re: DNS-327L - Setting up a local backup across a LAN
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 04:05:54 PM »

Hi All,

I've been reading through the DNS-320 posts and it looks like users are having issues setting that unit up for LAN/PC backup. 

I'm curious, has anyone got that feature to work/who hasn't got the feature to work?

Thanks,
M

kalle82

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 11:53:19 AM »

I tested with "Remote Backup" from the NAS to a Linux machine and got it to work. However, I did not look closer on it since I found incremental backups are only supported in the opposite direction (Linux-to-NAS) not as I needed (NAS-to-Linux)

I did not test the local backup function (cause due to its name I supposed it only supports local backups within the NAS)

martin_d41

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 11:23:36 PM »

Hi All,

Well, this is my third day trying to figure this problem out.  The event viewer/security shows when I try to login and is followed by a logout (I'm assuming this is when I get the fail).  I've bypassed the router and went straight to the computer - no luck.  Disabled my virus program/firewall - no luck.  I've played with Windows 7 firewall - no luck - but it does take a little longer to get the fail from the URL test.

I know I'm missing something.  Anyone able to get the LAN backup working/anonymous to local pc working with Windows 7?  Anyone have luck with the DNS-320? 

Thanks,
M

lsmart

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 06:46:12 AM »

Hi

I can backup a shared folder from my Win7 64 PC to DNS-327L without problems.

My Local Backup setup is:

Lan backup

Account

User name and password that matches a win7 user and password account
with read access permissions to the shared folder

Folder type

url like \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\Win7_shared_folder where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is my win7 lan ip

(testing gives test result successful and file size unavailable)

save to Volume_1/BackupFolder/

date and time

no incremental backup

At the date and time scheduled the backup is performed without problems.

kalle82

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 03:22:37 PM »

@lsmart: It seems martin_d41 looks for a LAN backup in the opposite direction (from NAS to PC)

martin_d41

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 06:30:56 PM »

Actually, lsmart nailed it perfect!  Thanks for the help.  I had to use the account login method with the account name and password for Windows 7.

Now, the question is, how can you do the backup using an anonymous login method.  No password or user name in Windows 7.

Thanks,
M

martin_d41

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 08:56:05 PM »

;D YES! PC backup to DNS-327L using anonymous log in SOLVED!  ;D

The folder that you want to backup, right-click/share with/specific people...ADD Guest with read/write permission (I believe DLink uses Guest as the anonymous log in).  Click Share.

Next, go to Advance share settings.  Select Turn off password protected sharing.  Now, the part I was missing, REBOOT!  Daggum Windows!  I guess you have to reboot to reconfigure Windows to turn off password protected sharing.

...Now, onto FTP'ng!