• April 25, 2024, 05:21:22 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Network Security and Permission  (Read 3971 times)

johnny.lau

• Level 1 Member
Network Security and Permission
« on: November 23, 2013, 04:12:32 PM »

I notice one issue when try to access Dlink NAS 327L from my laptop (Windows 7).

I setup 2 users in 327L for testing.
a. (1 Super user with Read and Write for Volume 1)
b. (1 normal user with Read Only for Volume 1)

When I try to access the volume 1 for the very first time, Windows 7 will prompt Username/Password and I will be able to connect without problem. I connect as super User for the first time (with READ/Write).

The problem is when I want to switch between those 2 users and I tried to logon by using different credential, doing the steps below:

1. Right click on my computer (in Windows Explorer)
2. Go to Map Network Drive > Tick Connect using different Credentials i.e. changing Super User login to Normal User login.

Result:
---------
Windows 7 will first prompt the windows network security login. I tried to enter the "Normal User" user name/password but after fill in the fields and hit enter, Window 7 will keep prompting me as if it is failed (not successful changing the user) but I noticed the username has changed from super user to normal user from the path. Windows at this stage is still not accepting the valid normal user name/password. Volume 1 is still working based on Super User account (Able to Read/Write).

Workaround
------------
I have to log off and log on again from Windows so that it takes into effect i.e. Windows 7 will put "Normal User" into effect so I can only have "Read Access" only on volume 1. Vice versa with changing it from normal user to super user account using the steps above. Windows will keep prompting for username/password but the username on the path had changed. The account is still on Read Only until I have log off to make this into effect.

Since normal user only have READ ONLY access, it is easy to test whether the account has been successfully changed by try to create new folder etc. That is how I tested this scenario.

It seems that I cannot change to different credential/users on the fly without logging off and Windows 7 also keeps prompting even though they are valid users.

johnny.lau

• Level 1 Member
Re: Network Security and Permission
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 02:26:18 AM »

Can anyone share some thoughts about this? Thanks.

lsmart

• Level 1 Member
Re: Network Security and Permission
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 09:08:29 AM »

Can anyone share some thoughts about this? Thanks.

Try:
net use \\Sharename /d

It works for me.