• March 28, 2024, 11:45:23 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 17

Author Topic: Guide to DD-WRT (custom firmware) for DIR-615  (Read 761388 times)

Mix3d Nuts

• Level 1 Member
Re: Guide to DD-WRT (custom firmware) for DIR-615
« Reply #75 on: December 10, 2010, 08:19:21 PM »

@Skello

What is this router's maximum wireless bandwidth by the way?

My neighborhood isn't crowded with wireless routers. I see one constant router and one that drops in and out. For some reason it only let's my select Auto or Channel 4 if I try to manually select a channel. Control is on upper (which I have no clue what that means).

I have two Xbox 360s, and an iPod Touch. Those are the three main wireless components in my house. My Xbox is the furthest away from the router. My room is on the main floor while the router is in the basement. My Xbox is top priority then my brothers (not being greedy, he just doesn't use it as much as I do) then my iPod. Both Xboxs are N capable, iPod is G. The desktop is mostly for web and downloads, no PC gaming at the moment.

I can't use the desktop as it's being used, and I can't select the Status tab on my iPod, but here are the other stats that I can pull up.

Wireless
RadioRadio is On 
Mode - AP   
Network - NG-Mixed   
SSID - dd-wrt 
Channel - 1 (2412 MHz) 
TX Power - 17 dBm 
Rate - 22 Mb/s 

Wireless Packet Info:

Received (RX) 125233 OK, no error 
Transmitted (TX) 226538 OK, no error 

Wireless Clients:

My Xbox: (Idle, on dashboard)

TX Rate: 39M
RX Rate: 104M
Signal: -66
Noise: -96
SNR: 30
Signal Quality: 36%

My brothers Xbox: (keep in mind his xbox is only a few feet away from the router in the same room)

TX Rate: 64M
RX Rate: 64M
Signal: -43
Noise: -96
SNR: 53
Signal Quality: 63%

**for some reason his xbox's signal level and quality jump very often which I find weird because I would think his would be completely stable from being in the same room.**

I don't think my iPod is of importance.

I can't really move my router anywhere else. Also there's a printer and a not used monitor beside it, as well as the desktop being on the same desk.

Side note:
 I was also wondering about the QoS. Enable it or no? The thing it my speeds keep varying. I bought the 50 Mbps download / 10 Mbps upload. Most of the time I get either 50 or even more (have had up to 151 Mbps) download speeds and about 8 - 12 upload speeds (usually on the lower end). It looks like I have to manually put my dl/ul limits for the QoS, but won't this in turn limit and extra bandwidth that I might be able to get?

tojla

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #76 on: December 13, 2010, 11:57:22 AM »

If someone has any idea how to ...

First I upgraded dir615D1 from version 4.00 to version 4.11 because of some disconnecting reasons (there is another topic regarding this issue). But after succesfull upgrade I couldn't stream IPTV anymore with VLC player. With ver. 4.00 IPTV works great also with wireless connection. So the reason for upgrading firmware to dd-wrt was  multicast trouble with version 4.11.
After I updated dir615D1 my laptop show the wireless speed only 130 mps. IPTV stream on cable connection works fine but with wireless not. What parameters should I set?
I´m considering to get back on firmware 4.00 where I can watch IPTV on wireless. What can I say...I´m used to watch TV on my laptop.
tnx in advance for any help...

swatpup102

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #77 on: December 15, 2010, 07:01:37 AM »

I just picked up a 615 router so that I could switch to an N network with the high 300 speed and move to 5ghz. I have a really crowded area in the 2.4 spectrum, over 30 routers listed around me. I first ran N at 2.4ghz to see what the speeds would be, but then read that if you have anything G connecting it will not run full N speeds, so i may try that again after getting no more than 30mbps. When I switched to the 5ghz, I spiked to around 110mbps while transfering to windows 7 from a NAS.

My problem comes with the signal strength of the 5ghz. I had great strength at 2.4, but at 5 I am getting about 50% no more than one room away. Have these updated firmwares done anything to improve signal performance, or should I leave my router alone if it's working in the current state? I might give this DD-WRT a try for the heck of it anyways, but I wonder if anyone has had improved 5ghz signal while using it?

Skello

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #78 on: December 15, 2010, 08:04:00 AM »

@swatpup102

Here's my reply from the previous page to Mix3d Nuts' question about mixed G and N clients:  http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=13599.msg94225#msg94225

I haven't used it in the 5 Ghz range, but I think even with 30 routers around in the 2.4 Ghz range, you can get a good signal if you're not using a crowded channel. Might want to experiment a little with the channels. Also make sure your signal bandwidth is set to 40 Mhz not 20.

Shwan

• Level 1 Member
Re: Guide to DD-WRT (custom firmware) for DIR-615 D3
« Reply #79 on: December 17, 2010, 10:00:47 PM »

Hi. After upgrade I entered 192.168.1.1 and I see the new interface. But when I click on tabs I get this:

Authentication Required. A username and password are being requested by http://192.168.1.1. The site says: "DD-WRT" . Please note that the default username is "root" in all newer releases

No matter what username I type there it simply doesn't work! (The router name is admin with no password!)

Later Edit: I also tried to reinstall using the CD but at Step 4 it says "Your router already has a password". I know for sure it has no password. Nevermind, I said I Forgot Password and I tried to Reset the router (I hold the Reset button for 15 sec and waited for Power led to become green, but... it blinks orange.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 10:26:09 PM by Shwan »

Skello

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #80 on: December 17, 2010, 11:43:29 PM »

@Shawn

Hmmm.

The original CD (that came with the router) has nothing to do with DD-WRT firmware or its settings. Have you tried username "root" and no password? Normally, after installation DD-WRT should ask you to create your own username and password. It can be whatever you wish.

What router revision (H/W Ver.) do you have? C, D, E? And where did you get the DD-WRT build from?

Shwan

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #81 on: December 18, 2010, 08:02:09 AM »

Hi Skello. Thanks for answering me!

I have D3 version and the firmware is from ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/11-21-10-r15778/dlink-dir615d/

I told you, I tried many combinations, even with root and no password. At the beginning, after dd-wrt firmware installation, in the user and password fields there were already hidden characters (it says something like "the default user "admin" it's very common and it's recommended to change bla-bla-bla...") But I wrote admin with no password and entered the routers new interface menu. There I saw my router's name DD-WRT!? Here is the end of this short story.  :D

Skello

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #82 on: December 19, 2010, 09:46:00 AM »

@Shawn

Again, DD-WRT does not have a default user. The first screen you see after install asks you to create a user. This can be whatever you want. Yes, the form field looked as if they're already filled in. Ignore that. Just click on them, delete and type your desired username and password. Just some pointers:

- your username can be "admin" if that's easier to remember for you
- your password cannot be blank.

If you can't get back to that first screen, go into the emergency room (instructions below) and upload the firmware again. Most recent is ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/12-18-10-r15940/dlink-dir615d/dlink-dir615d-factory-webflash.bin

To access the Emergency Room Web interface follow these steps:

• Unplug the router's power cord and wait 20 seconds.
  • Get a pin, push the RESET button and KEEP IT PRESSED.
  • Connect the power cord back (while still keeping the reset button pressed)
  • Keep the reset button pressed for an additional 5 seconds after connecting power cord and then release. At this point you should see the power button blinking orange.
  • Connect over a WIRED connection to the router and set your network adapter IP MANUALLY to 192.168.0.2
  • Open http://192.168.0.1 in a browser. You should see a white page with a Browse and Upload button.

Note: The "set your IP manually" part is very important. To access the emergency room interface the address is http://192.168.0.1, while after DD-WRT is installed the address is http://192.168.1.1 After you install DD-WRT from the emergency room interface, go to your network adapter settings and set it to obtain IP automatically again.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 09:48:46 AM by Skello »

Doul

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #83 on: December 19, 2010, 02:11:58 PM »

Nice guide, Skello, everything in this procedure have passed OK, but my PPPoE with static IP inet connection doesn't starts automaticly after reboot/pwroff. Only when I applying "Automatic Configuration-DHCP" then "PPPoE" in basics, it connects. Have tried some startup scripts with no luck... have any idea? ??? any help will be heartly appreciated :-* ;D

Shwan

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #84 on: December 20, 2010, 03:15:05 PM »

Skello, thank you so much for your patience and detailed answer! Your last post seems to solved my problem. Many thanks!

Shwan

Skello

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #85 on: December 20, 2010, 09:30:48 PM »

You're welcome, Shawn. I'm glad you sorted it out.

Enjoy DD-WRT and feel free to ask here if you encounter any problem with it.

Skello

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #86 on: December 20, 2010, 09:44:08 PM »

@Doul

I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to accomplish. PPPoE implies that your router asks for your settings from the ISP. It doesn't matter if your router assigns your IP dynamically or statically. The settings are the same for both. You don't need to set anything else.

I don't understand what you try to accomplish by configuring Automatic Configuration-dhcp first and then PPPoE. Those are different WAN settings and override each other. You only need to configure PPPoE. Here's my configuration and it reconnects on reboot.

ddwrtuser

• Level 1 Member
SES/AOSS Button DIR-615 D1
« Reply #87 on: December 25, 2010, 05:01:10 PM »

Hello,
I own a DIR-615 D1 and I successfully flashed DD-WRT. Everything works really nice so far, its much of an improvement to the original firmware!

I want to use the small button at the side of the device to switch on/off the radio. in the web interface in "Services" I switched on the option "SES / AOSS / EZ-SETUP / WPS Button", but if I press the button, nothing happens.

Does somebody know how to get this button to work, this would be the icing on the cake (but even if it doesn't work, DD-WRT is great!).

Thanks for the help,
ST

Doul

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #88 on: December 28, 2010, 10:54:05 AM »

@Skello, i understand, my settings are similar, but it doesn't connects automaticly after power down or reboot,
only when i apply dhcp and then pppoe %%%,tried different now using latest 15962 build.

adrian719

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #89 on: December 29, 2010, 09:37:23 AM »

hey guys i need some help. Seems like my DIR-615 C1 wont do any firmware upgrades. I have tried it in emergency mode too and nothing. Can someone help me out? i'm stuck on firmware 3.10 and i cant connect my PS3 or iphone to my router. My WBR-1310 was better than this POS. lol
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 17