• March 29, 2024, 07:37:58 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: System random lockup  (Read 18693 times)

nataku316

• Level 1 Member
System random lockup
« on: September 24, 2008, 09:32:06 PM »

I have been experiencing random system lockup from time to time, it could be in the middle of use or unused for hours vary random. The NAS is not accessible at all, not by web or ping. The display on the device seem to show everything as normal but the system its self does not respond, furthermore it cannot be shutdown, it’ll get to the halting system part and freeze there I’ll had to pull the power every time. This gets better, the most recent time this happened it asked me to reformat 1 of my 4 drives, even better is the format stops at 94%. Now I know the format freeze thing was a problem on the DNS-323 didn’t know it was also a problem on this one too.

All 4 drives are Seagate ST3500320AS 500GB

Would someone happen to know if there will be a firmware update coming sometime soon, I had this for about a week and have seen more problems than any.

If someone from D-Link is reading this, there are a lot of problems with this device that needs to be addressed.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 09:34:49 PM by nataku316 »

D-Link Multimedia

• Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
Re: System random lockup
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 11:15:01 AM »

Posted a firmware today. Also, if you are having specific issues with the device's functionality list them here or start a new thread with your feedback. The more details the easier it is to look into and address.

nataku316

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 10:44:38 PM »

thanks for the quick replay, i upgraded to 1.02 and was able to format that one drive. however when i restarted, the RAID5 was gone.... the volume was gone and so is all my data :'( I backed up some of my main data ahead of time so it's not too bad but still not happy about it. I have since tried to reformat all 4 drives on RAID5 that end up getting freezing on 94% too, did it again it finished the 2nd time created a volume but when i restart the device the volume was gone and the RAID5 was gone too, it asked me to reconfig the drives again.

marklagrande

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 11:48:46 AM »

I am also having a similar problem with random lockups.  OLED panel is normal, but there is no network accessibility to the 343, via ether web interface, easy search utility, or network shares.  Shutdown and reboot fixes the problem temporarily, but it reoccurs within anywhere from 15 minutes to 12 hours later.  Interestingly, I've had the 343 running for almost 2 weeks but this problem didn't occur until after it had been running problem free for 4 or so days.  Since then there have needed to be 2-4 reboots per day.

One possible clue.  I got a 1G Ethernet switch and a new 1G NIC for my main PC to upgrade to a higher networking speed.  I had just enabled the jumbo MTU feature on the 343 sometime shortly before I started getting the lockup problem.  I've switched back to the normal MTU size, which appears to have no effect on this problem.  Still running it at 1G connection speed, though.  Maybe just a coincidence?

I'm running the 1.02 firmware, have 4 750 GB Hitachi disks in a RAID-5 config.  I had no problem with inital disk formatting (it just took a way long time.)  It works great when it works, so I'd like to find a solution for this problem.

I sent a problem report on this into tech Support via the web email form a number of days ago, but have had no reply.  Have there been layoffs there recently?

marklagrande

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 10:18:38 AM »

Lockup problem seems to be solved.  At least it's been over 24 hours since the last lockup, so at the very least it's much, much improved.

Saved my 343 configuration.  Reset to factory defaults (via the web interface.)  Restored my configuration.  Haven't had a lockup since.

Sometime when I have more time on my hands than I know what to do with, I may experiment with the jumbo frames feature and see if that might have been linked to this problem.

mk1184

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 12:10:28 AM »

Had a similar experience with exact same symptoms.  Lost connectivity to the unit in mid-copy and in my case the lockup seemed to occur right when the fans kicked into HIGH mode for what I believe was perhaps the first time ever on this brand new unit, but certainly the first since upgrading the firmware.

Had to yank the power cord to reset it, of course, and upon reboot it predictably launched into a re-sync of the RAID-5 volume.  Locked up again as soon as the the temp reached 48 C (which didn't take but a minute or two).  Reset it a second time and thus far it's several hours into the re-sync without incident.  The fans have been oscillating OFF-LOW-HIGH-OFF throughout.  :-\

(4 x Hitachi 1TB "approved" drives).

UPDATE #1  1/4:  Well, sometime 8+ hours into the rebuild it apparently failed, leaving Volume_1 in a "degraded" state.  With no way to force a rebuild there was little choice but to restart.  Of course it then launched into another 900+ minute rebuild -- but no indication of drive failure, etc.  At that point I decided it would be faster to reset the config to defaults, kill the partitions on the drives, and start over.  So I did and everything went smoothly -- RAID-5, EXT3, formatted quickly, off we go.  I then copied about 80 gb of data over the course of several hours to it, when all of a sudden -- BANG -- lockup.  Unreachable via the network interface.  Could still cycle the OLED, although it had stopped refreshing.  Temp was 45°C at lockup, so I know it wasn't an overheat situation.  Perhaps I have a bum drive in the mix, however these are drives that got the full Hitachi diags run on them prior to install.  Grrrr.  I'm really regretting having updated the firmware at this point...  :(

UPDATE #2  1/14:  Finally ferreted out an intermittently faulty disk that was causing the rebuild to fail.  The DNS never failed the disk, however.  Since replacing it I've experienced lockups on two additional occasions right at the moment the unit kicks the fan to high-speed at 49 C.  Doesn't happen every time, but at this point I believe it's more than just coincidental.  Definitely something quirky going on there....   ???

« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 03:33:15 PM by mk1184 »

Malacoda

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 04:08:43 PM »

I have the new 1.5TB drives and 1.02a firmware with 4 drives in Raid 5.  I'm using gig-E.

I can copy large files fine, but I can reliably get the lockup when copying or deleting a large number of files (not large files) to the unit from my Mac systems via SMB.  Windows seems to treat it better, but more testing is needed.

The system would run the fan at full speed, freeze at System Halting when I go to shut it down, and refuse to respond to ping or web requests.  Pulling the cable returns it to normal, but it also cause the Raid to resync for an estimated 1300 minutes.

Thinking that this may be some system-level software issue, my current test was to revert to factory settings and reinitialize every drive as an individual drive.  If it locks up after the same file copy, then I know it was some setting that didn't upgrade well with the firmware or that its a problem with the Raid software (since I imagine individual drives would use a simpler driver).

My suggestion to tech support is to test 1.02a with a large number (40k+) of small files and delete them.  Also check upgrading 1.01 to 1.02a settings.

JaLooNz

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 05:56:30 PM »

You might be affected by the 1.5TB drives with lockup issues.

rooney

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 12:43:15 PM »

I am also seeing the lockup issue with firmware 1.02A. It is connected via Gig-E using DHCP and no jumbo frames. I have 4 Seagate ST31500343AS 1.5TB disks configured for RAID 5. I have it mounted via CIFS from a linux server. It locked up and was unresponsive via ping/www/CIFS. I was still able to see information via the OLED, however I had to power it off and back on before I could establish any connection with it.

It would be useful if there was a method to access the syslog on this unit.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 01:38:14 PM by rooney »

nataku316

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 09:36:21 PM »

still seeing system lockups, better than before but just had one the other day. still has a lot of issues with this

kjb

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2009, 12:36:21 AM »

I, too am seeing random lockups during transfers. I am using 4 Seagate ST31500341AS 1500 GB drives in RAID 5 configuration. I am using v103 for firmware. Tried 102 and 102a, neither would format the 1.5TB Drives. Finally formatted three into raid 5 and added the fourth.
Still bothered by the random lockups. Would be real nice to get this resolved soon. I can't recommend it if it doesn't work.
My System:
D-link DNS-343, 4 Seagate 1.5TB Barracuda drives w/fw 1.3b70

kjb

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2009, 12:49:24 AM »

Also, ref my previous, my syslog shows all four drives fail simultaneously.  My drives are not included in the seagate firmware list.
My System:

JaLooNz

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2009, 05:20:50 AM »

Are you on the Seagate 1.5TB drives? Almost all 1.5TB drives are affected except for those on CC1H/CC1J firmwares (ie a firmware has been released to fix the freezing issue and the problem with the drives being suddenly undetectable, but the website is not really that reliable earlier on in identifying the affected drives). Maybe you can try using the drive on a PC for a while and see if it can isolate your issue. AFAIK having all 4 drives fail within such a short while is definitely not normal.

I am using 4x 1.5TB CC1H on firmware 1.02A and so far everything has been fine (filled around 2TB). The only issue I have is with the vibrations of the drives and one of the drive "clicking" somewhat, but otherwise fine for storage.

kjb

• Level 1 Member
Seagate drives and system offline
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2009, 11:53:41 PM »

None of my drives are on the seagate list of those affected. I don't think is the drives but the firmware. It appears others arr have their 343 "lockup", "go offline" or other descriptions. Bottom line is that the firmware is having difficulties w/1 and 1.5 TB drives w/94% format freezing and their system become invisible to the network. I tried to download the 1.06b firmware but they seem to be limited as to who can download. Can we get a Dlink techie on this format?
My System:

mike343

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2009, 02:59:33 AM »

I'm experiencing the exact same problems as outlined in this thread.  343 (1.02) locks up mid file transfer (typically during 1GB+ files sizes) and is unresponsive to Windows Explorer, ping and the front-panel control buttons.  Connected via GigE, no Jumbo Frames, using three Samsung 500GB drives, RAID5.

A few hours ago I had to yank the power to reset the 343. Upon reboot the display and the web interface show "Temp HOT" but the unit's temp is 45C.  :-\  The RAID5 was still there and it's synching right now...I'm not touching it until the sync is done.  I'll probably soft-boot it then to see if the "hot" indicator goes away.

I read some other similar posts here and to be fair, though I have a static IP set on the 343, it's IP was within the DHCP scope given out by my switch. I.E. my scope goes from .2 to .100 BUT, I don't have enough devices taking IPs (only 5 devices on my network) to even get close to the IP that's set on the 343 (.30)

I have since changed my DHCP scope to stop assigning before it reaches the IP of the 343.  I honestly don't think that's the problem...I think there are firmware issues.  But I'll report back later and LYK how it's going.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 03:06:13 AM by mike343 »
Pages: [1] 2