• April 16, 2024, 02:02:18 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: FFmpeg / libavcodec  (Read 3897 times)

SuperZ

FFmpeg / libavcodec
« on: September 21, 2008, 06:38:29 AM »

I am considering buying a DSM-520 to play music and video files from a network storage disk.
I have a variety of formats around, but most of my videos are encoded with the codec "MPEG-4 Part 2" provided in the libavcodec library developed by the project FFmpeg (this is what you get by default when using mencoder in Linux):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libavcodec

In theory, this codec implements the same format as the popular DivX/XviD codecs, but I have had problems in the past with so-called "DivX-certified" DVD players that were unable to play those files. Part of the problem comes from the FourCC code which is normally "FMP4" for the FFmpeg variant, but even if you force it to "DX50" in order to fake a DivX 5 format, many players still support only the official variant.

Does anyone have an experience with such files on the DSM-520 ? or with any other DSM product ? I could easily provide a small sample file if someone would be willing to test it.

dad311

Re: FFmpeg / libavcodec
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 08:02:36 PM »

I have a DSM-520 and I use Linux(Ubuntu) to rip/encode all of my DVDs.  I use a program called HandBrake.  I use "avi" as the container, "ffmpeg" as the video encoder and "ac3" as the audio encoder.

Play back looks as good as DVD and plays back ac3 audio.   As a bonus, the time search feature works as well.

The best part, I have a 100% free way of backing up/ripping all my DVDs.