• April 24, 2024, 09:19:59 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Any experience with replacement antennas and amplifiers?  (Read 6458 times)

olddoc

• Level 1 Member
Any experience with replacement antennas and amplifiers?
« on: May 13, 2008, 01:23:05 PM »

Has anyone replaced 1 or more antennas on an N router?
Hawking and other companies make antennas that help a lot to improve coverage for b and g networks.
I wonder what the DLink tech gurus think of using a directional antenna on a 3 antenna N router.....
Do you need more than 1 to help? Which 1 port for best use of a single antenna?

How about amplifiers? I assume the 4500 is 100milliwatt total output.
There are consumer grade amplifiers for under $150 that could bring that up to 500mw which might increase range.
(As an advanced class Ham licensee I understand you need to receive the remote signal at the router and an amp won't help with that although antennas might.)
I have a Radiolabs amplifier: http://www.radiolabs.com/products/wireless/wireless-range-extender.php but I have not tried it on my 4500.
Since I am using the same frequencies as an 801.11g network there should be a way to make it help.
Which antenna outlet should I put it on?

arod

Re: Any experience with replacement antennas and amplifiers?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 11:33:17 AM »

You would have to put one in each antenna outlet, which might cost you more than the router.

jupiter

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 12:08:41 PM »

I would go with an amp/antenna on the left and right outlet and just an antenna on the middle outlet.

If i had to choose only one, i would go with the left outlet if you were facing the DG4500's front.

But don't take my word for it.  Try using a wireless network analyze.  see which outlet gives you the best results.  :)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 12:12:48 PM by We Are Many »

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 10:20:43 AM »

Thats not going to work well, the N on that router is a 3X3 solution, for G modes it'll work but not for N.

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 10:24:55 AM »

Since your a Ham I can make this simple, the encoding done on data on a draft N connection is based on multiple send and receive streams, and is adjusted for constructive interference between the multiple transmit antennas.  a single antenna will not allow you to connect at N speeds.

An amplifier can help, however they are of questionable legality, I am no master of the FCC regulation on transmission power, but I believe some of these products may violate their regulations.  And as I recall the regulations are limited by gain and power so you might be able to push a certain wattage, but not have the kind of antenna array to receive.

Ideally what you would need is an array designed with the draft N multiplexing in mind, and if you need the power you will need it on all 3 antennas.

However much like the equipment you work with more power isn't always the best option, with WiFi it is usually external interference and your own reflections that make the most difficulty for you.
non progredi est regredi

olddoc

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 12:46:21 PM »

Thanks for all the comments. I put my 500mw (should be perfectly legal at 2.4Ghz) amp on the left.
and I have 2 directional antennas on outside.
When I run in only g mode, I get 54Mb connections inside all over. Works for me.
g and n also work well enough on my deck. I am quite happy. But if I didn't already own the amp, I wouldn't buy a new one for an n router.

Why do you want to pipe /dev/null to DGL forums? Wouldn't /dev/urandom be better?   ;D

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 01:44:43 PM »

I like to think that like old Debian SSL keys my drivel isn't random, it's just drivel.
non progredi est regredi