• March 28, 2024, 02:37:48 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: shareport utility connects on only one pc  (Read 12355 times)

mastaple

• Level 1 Member
shareport utility connects on only one pc
« on: November 20, 2009, 05:22:50 AM »

with rev 2.02NA firmware, USB light on router didn't light and shareport utility couldn't find the Canon MP530 printer from any PC.  Updated the firmware to the BETA (on rev B1 hardware) and now USB light is ON router, all the PC's can see the printer with SharePort utility, but only the PC connected hardwire to the router can connect and use the printer.  All the wireless connected PC's (3 of them) can try to connect, but don't.  tried latest utility software 1.10 with no luck.

suggestions? thanks

carrollperkins

• Level 1 Member
Re: shareport utility connects on only one pc
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 06:02:16 AM »

What you are seeing is same behavior that I am seeing.
Therefore, I conclude that the Utility sw description is correct; that only one PC at a time can connect to the USB port.  This behavior works, but is very very restricted and not useful in the real world.

A more general question is:
Why doesn't the 825 have a dropdown list selectable configuration like "Win7 Shared Printer" that automatically sets up a USB printer connection for multiple Windows 7 clients?  Windows 7 has great printer sharing software, but the DIR-825 has no way to configure the USB port to allow the Windows 7 printer sharing software to work correctly.

hellbringer

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 01:02:41 PM »

See also: http://www.dlink.com/shareport/

You can use the printer on multiple PC's, just not at the same time.

It's like connecting a USB device (in this case a printer) directly to your PC, if you want to use it on another PC, you have to put the USB cable in the other PC.
In this case the little utility does the actual switching between the PC's.
If the device is in use by other user, you can hit the 'Request to use' button so a popup appears on the PC that's using the device asking if they would kindly release the printer.
This asks for a lot of self discipline for all the users in the network (never a good idea in *ANY* network imho) because otherwise you always have to yell to the other users to 'wake up and release the device already!'.

It's great if you want to connect a USB stick or USB mouse via your network to your PC (yes that works ;) i'v try'd) but not many people do/need that.
Why did they not make it a printserver so you can share your printer?
And what about a fileserver option so you can share you files? (Samba, FTP, whatever)
The USB port is there: why not put it to some good use?

Tank_Killer

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 05:55:57 AM »

does it not say on the box shareport is only for one PC at a time?

jimmnj

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 04:02:15 PM »

Can't you still use Windows printer sharing through the PC that is connected to the printer via SharePort?  

I know it kind of defeats the purpose of using the printer with Shareport.  And the connected PC has to be running all the time.  And there might be issues with non-Windows PC's.  But at least it allows you to locate the printer near the router instead of a PC.

Unfortunately my router reboots if I try to access the scanner of my HP 4280 All-In-One through my DIR-825 (Rev A1 with 1.12NA firmware) so Shareport is not a viable option for me.

Regards,
Jim
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 04:15:39 PM by jimmnj »