• March 29, 2024, 01:11:36 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: The WiFi sensitivity of this DSC-2132L is not adequate  (Read 6172 times)

MacUser

• Level 3 Member
The WiFi sensitivity of this DSC-2132L is not adequate
« on: May 30, 2013, 05:03:25 PM »

I purchased a few of the 932L units and this 2132L units and tested them.   The 2132L units are not picking up the WiFi signal nearly as good as the 932L units.

Have others experienced this ?

But the following features of the 2132L are appreciated compared to the 932L:

1.  On screen display of date and time
2.  Better resolution
3.  SD card recording
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 05:06:17 PM by MacUser »

MacUser

• Level 3 Member
Re: The WiFi sensitivity of this DSC-2132L is not adequate
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 11:39:38 AM »

Bump

MacUser

• Level 3 Member
DSC-2132L unreliable. What's a good replacement ?
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 12:21:05 PM »

My DSC-2132L cameras have become intolerable.    Even when close to the router source, the frame rate drops, often the video is black, camera doesn't connect, etc.   The DSC-932L is far more reliable, but lacks an SD slot and lacks OSD.

What's a replacement for the 2132 which will work reliably ?

TKorho

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 01:40:53 PM »

I'll be necroing this thread, since it matches somewhat.
---

I have the DCS-2132LA1, and it has quite good features: relatively good resolution, flexibility in settings etc. There are numerous dark sides, but I guess every product has.

I have noticed that the network performance on 802.11N is very poor. Independent of the router range: when it works, it works well, and especially in InternetExplorer the picture is fluid.
But for some reason the network capability or availability is deteriorating heavily over time. After restarting and setting up everything seems to be working good. I sometimes also get in over the Internet, and can control the camera.

But usually within the 20-30h the remote control because near unresponsive or fails totally to make the connection. This is not about Wireless range, I have tested this also within arms reach of the router.
It almost feels like there is some kind of stack (memory, network, video or command?) which gets saturated and starts slowing down and becoming unresponsive. The camera fails, and it is very uncertain that it even can respond to triggers at that point.

There must be some kind of watch dog to reset it, since at times the camera becomes reachable again.

I have not found any logic when the bogging down happens, except with over time.
I have tried to make lighter transfer data, I have tried to turn off any kind of extra features or network stuff. So far I have not found a cure. Any tips of what makes the camera more usable and more reliable? Is there some kind of trigger or picture setting that fails totally? Would PIR be more robust than motion?

One tip I found is that when using the Wifi, you should indeed set it to greenfield mode  (.11N only), it helps to keep the connectivity and signal better. But it doesn't cure that losing the camera.

TKorho

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 06:44:22 AM »

UPDATE

I withdraw my previous claim. About network saturation problem.

The problem seems rather to be connected to MOTION DETECTION algorithm. The motion detection seems to be very heavy, and when it is enabled there are numerous difficulties when accessing the camera, no matter if it is local LAN or WAN routing.

This may be connected to amount of motion detection area, or the camera audio/video quality settings. And I have not been able to capture if it is depending on trigger events set to it.

The reason is probably because the CPU of the camera is not fast enough to handle the motion tracking. Especially if there is a motion detection happening and events triggering on it. Probably very much more so, if there are triggers with different priorities and you try to access the settings to turn it off...

If one uses PIR for detection, the access to the camera seems to be very much lighter, and also the video fluidness is totally something else. The bad side is that PIR can not be triggered easily globally off, but you need to go into individual triggers to do that. ==> It is very heavy operation to do when you want to access your own home...

This results into request:
DLINK PLEASE MAKE PIR TOGGLEABLE IN THE WEB CONTROL INTERFACE AND INTO THE DLINK CAMERA APPS! Pretty, please!
I'll try to forward this also to the respective threads about the apps.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 06:51:30 AM by TKorho »