• April 28, 2024, 05:09:21 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DNS-323 unPnP PS3 streaming workaround.  (Read 4774 times)

zeewee

• Level 1 Member
DNS-323 unPnP PS3 streaming workaround.
« on: August 17, 2009, 07:19:49 PM »

hi all.

i have a temporary workaround for streaming avchd files to your ps3. i read online that the dns-323 1.07 firmware does not currently support mts files (AVCHD camcorder video files).

my buddy gave me a great idea. i copied the files and renamed them w/ a .mp4 extension. i know that this doesn't change the file type - but the PS3 is able to see the renamed mp4 files.

thinking about it - it makes sense. this probably works b/c .mp4 files are recognized as a valid media format. changing the file extension to .mp4 does not alter the file information, as i'm sure that the .mts file probably has information stored in the header or the file itself to inform the client device what kind of file it is.

since the dns-323 is acting as a media server via the unPnP server (as opposed to a file server) it serves the .mp4 file over to the PS3. when the PS3 reads the file, it knows that the file is a .mts file.

what's wonderful is that the PS3 support .mts natively.

that being said, i created a "PS3 streaming folder" where I copied over the original files and renamed them w/ a .mp4 extension. don't want to corrupt the original files :o)

hope that helps someone out there.

zeewee

• Level 1 Member
Re: DNS-323 unPnP PS3 streaming workaround.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 07:27:58 PM »

oops, i kept typing unPnP. i meant uPnP :o)

ttmcmurry

• Level 4 Member
Re: DNS-323 unPnP PS3 streaming workaround.
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 08:15:42 PM »

that's been one of my gripes about the builtin upnp server for quite some time.  Instead of basing content on what it *actually is*, the scanner went by the file's extension. 

Granted there is some validity to that approach, it becomes more vague when we start talking about h.264 (.mp4 .m4v .m4a .m2ts .mts .264).  The newer firmware does a better job, but it still can quickly mis-classify music & video and make a PS3 throw up "unsupported format" real quick.