• April 26, 2024, 06:39:48 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: PNP-X hangs Vista64 shutdown  (Read 2820 times)

willbro9

• Level 1 Member
PNP-X hangs Vista64 shutdown
« on: July 01, 2009, 10:18:16 PM »

I don't know what it is, but ever since I installed that dang PNP-X, Vista won't shut down, I have to hard kill it.

Also, I try removing that stupid PNP-X from Device Manager hard drives, and it stalls and goes into Not Responding. Even tried it with the DNS 323 turned off!

Any ideas for how to yank this crap out of the registry?

ttmcmurry

• Level 4 Member
Re: PNP-X hangs Vista64 shutdown
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 09:51:44 PM »

I also had a tremendous problem with the PNP-X driver causing all sorts of havoc-- but only when the 323 was in wireless/wired range of my laptop. 

Try this.  After a fresh reboot, with the 323 in range, when you go to the device manager and see the DNS-323, instead of double-clicking and opening the properties window, try right-clicking and choosing uninstall. 

There's an off-chance (it's been a while, sorry for my bad memory) - that if you disable your wireless radio with the switch (assuming you have a wireless off switch), the 323 could still be listed in devmgmt.msc and you can uninstall it as well. 

willbro9

• Level 1 Member
Re: PNP-X hangs Vista64 shutdown
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 08:58:20 AM »

I decided to be brave... if I may have to restore Vista anyway!

I searched the registry in Vista for "dns323" and found quite a few entries.

One of interest was in PnpLockdownFiles (HKLM\Software\... Windows Current Version Setup)

But the one(s) that may be of interest were in Network Explorer Plugins.
I deleted one of these (under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT) and the others then wouldn't delete...

The Vista machine shut down properly last night! But... stay tuned. Things in Vista which fix themselves are liars!

willbro9

• Level 1 Member
Fixed PNP-X hangs Vista64 shutdown
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 03:03:17 PM »

I am not really sure why I thought I needed those drivers...

When I first noticed the shut down issue, I tried to uninstall them from the Device Manager and the process kept NOT RESPONDING

Today I uninstalled it from the Vista Network Center (workgroup view... whatever)
It was listed twice, once as a Computer and once as a Storage
I right clicked on the icon of the DNS 323 (Storage device) and chose Uninstall and it worked.

That makes sense because it is a Network device not a local device (device manager).

Problem solved. Vista shuts down.

Oh, I also changed DNS323 to a different workgroup, but honestly I don't think that matters on a NETWORK DEVICE  :o