• March 18, 2024, 11:53:52 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: 1.5 TB Seagate Drives  (Read 25912 times)

D-Link Multimedia

• Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
Re: 1.5 TB Seagate Drives
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2008, 04:49:15 PM »

Well I can tell you today wont be the day of release. Couple minor things found in the last build so hopefully this one is it. We have a lot of new goodies coming out with this version so we are trying to make sure everything is in working order. Hopefully since this is a full week we can verify everything quickly and calm the crowd before it becomes a riot :).

pzy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2008, 11:33:54 AM »

How's today looking?  ???

skelm

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2008, 01:05:26 PM »

riot riot riot ;)

D-Link Multimedia

• Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2008, 02:03:34 PM »

Unfortunately there are multiple processes of verification before anything becomes official. The DNS-343 is scheduled behind DNS-323 lab testing currently so even if it was personally tested we still have to wait for lab reports to come back before any final decisions. DNS-323 is not scheduled to finish lab testing until after the 8th which means atleast another week after that if DNS-343 goes in immediately after.

pzy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2008, 02:07:15 PM »

So we're talking likely not even before THIS YEAR? This is horrible, seriously. Some people have been sitting on useless units since OCTOBER, and I'm already frustrated having to wait about a month total! Ridiculous!

skelm

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2008, 02:17:41 PM »

Could you provide a limited beta pilot - we could let you know what works or other problems

pzy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2008, 03:08:48 PM »

Seriously, something needs to be done so this comes out faster - I'm sitting on $900 worth of equipment which is completely useless to me right now! It should be up and running and in my production workflow, I am hurting for storage!

Grillan79

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2008, 02:09:44 AM »

How can you prioritise the dns-323 over the 343!! They have a wish list of features they want when all we want is for our equipment to work, I'm stuck with equipment that i cant use!!!  >:( An update without additional features would suit me fine I NEED to get this working!!

vwflat4

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2008, 08:12:59 AM »

D-Link.......       

Please,   Please do something.   
1. - Either change your marketing to at least have a date on it.    So that People won't buy the product with out doing some research first, as to what drives work with the product.
2. - Or state on the Product package which drives do work.
3. - Remove the statement on the package, that states the the Product works with "ANY" capacity drive.
4. - Increase Lab/research/testing Departments.

I am also sitting on $900+ worth of Product that I can't use.   Well I am using it but with 80 Gig drives, that are nearly full now.

I'll get off of my soap box now.

D-Link Please fix this.

dlink-user

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2008, 04:12:56 PM »

OK DLink has known since at least Oct 14 that there is a problem and it takes at least 2 months to fix it with a firmware update. In the meantime, we are told to wait for "lots of goodies". We just want it to work!! I am so mad I could scream!

skelm

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2008, 07:53:28 AM »

Sorry for startin the Riot! Any updates??  ::)

hilaireg

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2008, 08:24:18 AM »

Folks,

Releasing firmware updates is a long and complex process.  A complete regression test is required so as to ensure that changes have not caused stable features to "break".  In a nutshell, most manufacturers, these days, release new firmware updates to:

- address significant deficiencies as a result of early release to market and to reduce any "bad press"
- introduce new features to increase market share or remain competitive

Releasing firmware updates is expensive, it essentially means keeping resources allocated to working on non-revenue generating initiatives.

As such, it becomes increasingly important to perform pre-sales due diligence on any technology product one wishes to purchase so as to ensure that one doesn't needlesly spend hard earned dollars.

It's unfortunate that folks who purchase 1.5TB HDD's were mis-informed by their local technology resellers.  The lessons learned here ... always check the vendor website support FAQ's, product specifications, and most importantly, download and review the product documentation when possible.

As a last resort, call the manufacturer pre-sales team and get those folks to validate your desired configuration.

Cheers,

skelm

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2008, 08:54:09 AM »

As such, it becomes increasingly important to perform pre-sales due diligence on any technology product one wishes to purchase so as to ensure that one doesn't needlesly spend hard earned dollars.

It's unfortunate that folks who purchase 1.5TB HDD's were mis-informed by their local technology resellers.  The lessons learned here ... always check the vendor website support FAQ's, product specifications, and most importantly, download and review the product documentation when possible.

Cheers,

Wow,
I called up the DLINK support line before purchasing and was told the 1.5s would work. After installing them called back and was told to reset my box and they would work, i told the support team at DLINK about the issues with 1.5 posted on the internet. So the misinformation is clearly from DLINK - a bit of a kick in the teeth to say otherwise. That and the packaging that clearly states the device support's all sizes of drives.

On your website nothing is stated on product compatibility except on older drives. 
From
http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=667

1. Hard drive(s) not included. An internal SATA drive is required to store or share your files. RAID 5 requires the use of four (4) internal SATA drives. RAID 1 mirroring requires the use of two (2) internal SATA drives. To avoid data incompatibility in RAID 1 and RAID 5 operation, use SATA drives from the same manufacturer. Formatted drive capacity for RAID 1 and RAID 5 operation is dependant on the drive capacity of the lowest-sized drive. May not work with older generation SATA drives.

Come - on prioritize and fix this. More and more people are going to purchase the biggest drives available - its just going to get worse.

hilaireg

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2008, 10:12:37 AM »

When I called D-Link Support Canada to inquire about maximum HDD capacity before purchasing my DNS-323's, the technician informed me that 750GB was the maximum - f/w 1.04 at the time.  I opted for 500GB HDD's as the FAQ on the D-Link support site only noted a few certified/tested 750GB models.

If the D-Link representative confirmed that 1.5TB HDD's would be supported, then you have a solid argument & right to demand either a refund or resolution to the problem in a timely fashion.

Cheers,

D-Link Multimedia

• Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2008, 10:41:17 AM »

How can you prioritise the dns-323 over the 343!! They have a wish list of features they want when all we want is for our equipment to work, I'm stuck with equipment that i cant use!!!  >:( An update without additional features would suit me fine I NEED to get this working!!

DNS-323 last firmware release:

Firmware 1.05 5/13/2008

DNS-343 alst firmware relesae:

Firmware 1.02 9/25/2008

That is why DNS-323 is prioritized OVER the DNS-343 for this firmware release.
Pages: 1 [2] 3