• March 19, 2024, 04:51:21 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: 1.5 TB Seagate Drives  (Read 25914 times)

pzy

• Level 1 Member
Re: 1.5 TB Seagate Drives
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2008, 11:42:18 AM »

At the top of the previous page you made reference to it being very very close to release, except it "wasn't today", but since it's a "full week" it's looking good. Then you dropped the bombshell that you apparently can only handle one thing in the lab at the same time and the 323 has priority, despite the fact there's no 3-page thread about the 323's limitations and the loss of dollars because of it.

I feel worse for people who have been waiting since October, but I was hoping for a quick resolution when I discovered the problem by calling D-Link and waiting on the line for an hour while I was transferred from clueless department to higher up clueless departments. This is AFTER I spent $900, obviously.

Then it seemed like it was coming shortly after Thanksgiving, but now it looks like it won't even come out until after the holidays. So MAYBE January 2009 - that's 3 months after the issue was first reported and a fix was promised. Ridiculous. This product is absolutely useless to me until the 1.5TB drives are supported.

My computer came out before even 1 TB drives were available, and can support the 1.5TB drives just fine. I understand RAID/NAS is different, but it shouldn't take 3+ months to fix a problem that cost customers $900 each. What's going to be done about this?

Edit: Also...

It's unfortunate that folks who purchase 1.5TB HDD's were mis-informed by their local technology resellers.

That is the most blatant passing-of-the-buck I've ever seen. I was misinformed by D-Link and its website and manuals and advertising material, not any "local technology reseller". This is D-Link's fault, and they need to fix it.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 11:47:37 AM by pzy »

D-Link Multimedia

• Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
Re: 1.5 TB Seagate Drives
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2008, 12:59:07 PM »

My computer came out before even 1 TB drives were available, and can support the 1.5TB drives just fine. I understand RAID/NAS is different, but it shouldn't take 3+ months to fix a problem that cost customers $900 each. What's going to be done about this?

To answer your quote from up top you are correct it did look like it was possible to release a firmware shortly after Thanksgiving however that doesn't mean it was going to happen. Every time critical bugs are found the unit is pulled from lab testing, new firmware is developed with fixes and put back in the lab. This prolongs the release but is needed in order to provide a quality build and there are no 'shortcuts' to this to give you a release.

Your quote above is Apples and oranges comparison. Your talking about a computer with an operating system that receives updates via the web making it seamless that larger drives are supported with a much larger development team vs an embedded device running a customized operating system and applications.

If we had no critical bugs and weren't working on feature enhancements at the time sure we could have put out a firmware just adding a 1.5TB fix and be done with it and provide you with nothing more however that is not the case. When 1.5TB drives were introduced we were already in the process of adding new feature sets and fixing other critical bugs introduced in earlier firmwares. What you're asking is for us to drop what we have been working on for months and revert back to earlier code to provide you with a quick fix instead of continuing our development of the product wasting man hours already put into the project.

This is the last post on here regarding this issue, it will be fixed next firmware when it is available and until then there is no other reason to post in this thread.
Pages: 1 2 [3]