• April 16, 2024, 03:38:56 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Forewarned is forearmed?  (Read 2115 times)

three_jeeps

• Level 2 Member
Forewarned is forearmed?
« on: November 03, 2009, 07:02:54 AM »

Hi:
I am upgrading my router and have three criteria: longest 'useful' distance, reliability, N-dual band simultaneously.   I know the 655 does not meet the last one.  I can remove that.  However, I've been reading all over the web about the lockup problem.  It almost seems like a crap shoot as to one being affected by this problem, actually the odds seem to be 0.55 not having it, 0.45 having it.  So, it seems to be a problem with 1.3* firmware, July 2009.  Question is: Are any of the previous versions better?  I think 1.2 does not allow one to go back to earlier versions. 
Next question: What would you suggest to replace this model? (D-link or other mfg). BTW, i would buy the linksys 610n but it does not have external antennas, another requirement (helps with the longest distance thing as I do use an external hi-gain antenna...(hoping the new router eliminates that)).

Last question: the 655 is not supported by dd-wrt (pity)....anybody have any experience with any Dlink model and dd-wrt?  good/bad? 
Thanks for any advice....
John

MitchSchaft

• Level 2 Member
Re: Forewarned is forearmed?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 09:26:15 AM »

Just turn DNS relay off and you won't have any issues with losing connection. Folks having troubles are very vocal. The rest of us with no problems don't say much. There are a lot of us.

Sammydad1

• Level 5 Member
Re: Forewarned is forearmed?
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 10:33:52 AM »

FW 1.21 is pretty stable for most folks who have used it, altho I am sure some folks had issues with it.  It is certainly not without quirks, but stable in general.

I keep havings pangs of guilt for not having upgraded to 1.32 but I keep thanking myself that I haven't caved in to my upgrader's guilt so that it doesn't become upgrader's remorse.
DIR-655 A2, FW: 1.35NA