• April 17, 2024, 11:31:35 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Need Signal Repeater for the DIR-855  (Read 7074 times)

Stonehenge

• Level 1 Member
Need Signal Repeater for the DIR-855
« on: September 25, 2008, 08:29:17 AM »

Has there been any word on a 5 GHz Wireless-n signal repeater being available anytime soon?  I have many of the same range problems others are experiencing - transmission speed starts to drop-off disturbingly fast once I move more than 6 ft away from the router, which makes video streaming spotty at best.  Upstairs, computers can't hold the (-n) signal at all.  All that speed is wasted unless something comes on the market that can boost-up the signal throughout the house.  Thoughts?

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
Re: Need Signal Repeater for the DIR-855
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 09:58:24 AM »

Whats the serial number of the router?
You should get more then 6ft of signal.

Stonehenge

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 08:47:54 AM »

F3SI187000095:  Not one of those listed as having transmissions issues.  I've pretty much followed the advise in the instructions and what I've read in the other forums.  I just can't seem to get range I need for the 5 GHz band to be useful throughout the house.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 09:13:20 AM »

Are you running any 5ghz phones?

azz710

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 09:51:04 AM »

Folks,

I, too, am seeing low 5GHz signal levels as reported by my laptop, at least, whilst the same laptop, in the same location, is seeing superlative 2.4GHz signal strength.  We have no 5GHz phones and our neighbors are all at least 200 feet distant.  At first, I thought it might be the notorious internal antenna connection problem, but I have a recent A2 and really doubt it's that.

Then, it hit me...  My laptop is an old IBM T-41, what used to be a high-end model, and has a built-in a/b/g WiFi NIC made by IBM, itself.  My feeling is that the problem is that the laptop has one internal antenna in the lid, and it's almost certainly optimized for 2.4GHz.  Antenna pole length and orientation become more and more critical as the wavelength decreases, so I'd expect poor 5GHz performance when using receiver antennas optimized for 2.4GHz.  Does this make any sense, do you think?

In any case, my serial number is F3SI187000155, just in case there's a problem I don't know about.

Regards,
Jeff

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 08:22:45 AM »

It's possible. 5ghz just isn't meant for indoor use. Microsofts decision to force Vista comptiblity on the 5ghz band for multimedia apps baffles me. This is mroe often then not the result of 5ghz indoor use.