• April 24, 2024, 08:41:14 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Data not accessible, but not lost.... Need help  (Read 5499 times)

DaDzzzz

• Level 1 Member
Data not accessible, but not lost.... Need help
« on: January 13, 2015, 12:00:11 PM »

Hi all,

I need some help, I'm a little worry.
I've got a DNS323 with 2 HDD of 1To.
500Mo in RAID1 and 1To in JBOD.

Recently I've got a few power failure in my appartement, and my Volume_1 (the RAID1) was degraded. I can't acces my data from windows.
I ran scandisc in tools/disc tools, and I've got a error on Volume_1
Code: [Select]

Volume Name Scan Disk Result
Volume_1          FAILED
and Volume_2 seams to be ok (went throught the 100%).

I ran a manual rebuild because I tought my physical drive wasn't dead (blue led on the front of the NAS and not amber), and it run succefully (at leat it seams, no error message).

Now I see this in tools/raid :
Current RAID Type :
  Volume_1 : RAID 1
                 Volume_2 : JBOD 

but my data is still not accesible thought windows.
When I create a user and grand access, I can see all my folder on both drive.
My webserver and all pages are still fully working...

I don't know what to do to acces my data, could you please help me?
Thanks in advance.

ivan

• Level 8 Member
Re: Data not accessible, but not lost.... Need help
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 02:55:59 AM »

You say you are trying to access your data from windows, how?  What version of windows are you using?  Are you using My Computer or My Network Places to see your DNS-323?  Had you mapped the RAID1 and JBOD to drive letters? (A power failure might change these mappings)

Since you can still access you DNS-323 and the RAID rebuild was successful I tend to think there is a problem with how you are trying to access the unit from windows.

DaDzzzz

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 03:07:01 AM »

Thanks for replying my help call.
I tried all the ways you mentioned. I also tried from Android (phone and tablette) and ftp. I'm not able to see the nas on my local network. Exactly as it is not physically connected anymore. I'm absolutely sur of the nas ip, cause I can acces it from my Internet browser.

I think I will soon remove on of my HDD from the dns, and connect it in a USB port of my Linux computer. I should be able to save my data if the partition is recognised.

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 05:32:46 AM »

Before you start taking things apart there are some things you can try.

First, assuming the default IP of your network is in the same subnet as the NAS (remember the power failure will most probably reset everything back to the defaults and your router, DHCP server, may be on something like 192.168.1.xxx while the NAS is on 192.168.0.32).  If they are not on the same subnet they will never connect to each other - you can still see the NAS web interface because that is a different protocol.  I think this is the most likely problem you have.

Second, check that your computer and NAS are in the same workgroup.  If they are not then here is another potential problem that is caused by how windows works on a network (win 7 defaults to Homegroup while the NAS defaults to Workgroup).

Finally there are a couple of windows programs that can help with working with your network. HoverIP (free for non commercial use, can be found on www.softpedia.com).  Netscan by SoftPerfect (freeware at www.softperfect.com/products/networkscanner/ ).  The first of those two programs will find the IP address of your computer and the second will find all the devices on your network subnet.

DaDzzzz

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 06:08:59 AM »

thanks again for taking the time to helping me, Ivan.

So, I did some checks. My NAS's IP adress (called NAS-STREASEAU) is 192.168.1.20 configured with a static IP like it was before the power faillure. My router is configured to give to his mac adress the same IP. In the router interface, I can see it connected.
When I change the name of my NAS, in setupt/device, I can see it changed in windows, but I'm not able to see my drive neither. I'm guessing it means the NAS is connected to my network and all devices whitch are connected to the same network, right?

I will try the softwares you talk about to be sur, but I doubt it will make me happy....

Edit Networkscanner give me this for the nas :
    <item>
      <ip-address>192.168.1.20</ip-address>
      <hostname>NAS-STRESEAU.bouyguesbox.fr</hostname>
      <mac-address>1CAFF734C4E5</mac-address>
      <response-time>0</response-time>
    </item>
I guess it means the nas is connected as 192.168.1.20...
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 06:21:18 AM by DaDzzzz »

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 06:44:49 AM »

OK, getting closer.  What version of windows are you using?

What is the IP address of your computer

It would help if you ran the two programs and checked the results.  Both are stand alone programs (Netscan had both a 32 and 64 version - use the correct version for your version of windows).

If you run netscan with the range 192.168.1.0 to 192.168.1.255 you will cover the entire subnet and will find everything attached to that subnet if it is powered up.  What it finds should match what you have for your NAS (IP address, name and MAC address).  It should also show a + to the left of the IP address which if you click on it should open what it has found for that address (most probably Volume_1, Volume_2, lp, web_page).  You can double click on Volume_1 or Volume_2 and you should get a windows explorer listing of everything on it  (while you have that open note what is in the address bar as this is what you need to use when you go looking for the NAS).

DaDzzzz

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 06:57:07 AM »

I'm on Windows 8.1

I scanned the complete network (192.168.1.0 to 192.168.1.254), all all my devices were find.
There was a + near my computer and I was able to see all shared folder inside it,  but no + near the nas.

I tried again to access my Web server (I've got a few website on it),  but it doesn't work anymore. It worked when I opened this thread....
So I tried to create a network user on the dns323 Web interface and grant network access and things changed here too. Volume_2 still exist, I can browse the folders to share a specific folder, but there no folder on volume_1 left (I could see it there when I opened this thread too) . Or at least, the dns Web interface can't see it....
That sound like a bad news, volume_1 was the one in raid1 with all my precious data's.....

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2015, 08:00:29 AM »

It may be bad news but we don't say that until all possible things have been tried.

I am surprised that the NAS didn't show at least Volume_2 and lp.

Try this.  Open a Command Prompt window on your computer then type in the following  dir \\192.168.1.20\Volume_1 /p  take care that the \ are as shown (you can also use Volume_2 in lace of Volume_1)  If that gives a listing you can then type  dir \\192.168.1.20\Volume_1\name of folder /p  If that gives a listing of the files in the folder you are almost ready to do a backup of your data but that will require enough free disk space as there is space taken in the NAS, maybe you have a USB drive with enough free space available.

If that doesn't work you will need to read the sticky on Data recovery (Windows PCs) - it does work, much is from what users have used to save their data when they didn't have a backup and the disks weren't physically damaged.

DaDzzzz

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2015, 08:34:27 AM »

I am surprised that the NAS didn't show at least Volume_2 and lp.
Ip show up as 192.168.1.20, but no folder or disc

Try this.  Open a Command Prompt window on your computer then type in the following  dir \\192.168.1.20\Volume_1 /p  take care that the \ are as shown (you can also use Volume_2 in lace of Volume_1)  If that gives a listing you can then type  dir \\192.168.1.20\Volume_1\name of folder /p  If that gives a listing of the files in the folder you are almost ready to do a backup of your data but that will require enough free disk space as there is space taken in the NAS, maybe you have a USB drive with enough free space available.

I get a error message with both volume_1 and 2...."did find the network path" (that's a translation, I'm French).

If that doesn't work you will need to read the sticky on Data recovery (Windows PCs) - it does work, much is from what users have used to save their data when they didn't have a backup and the disks weren't physically damaged.
Yes I'll try that finger crossed....
Thanks for your help Ivan, Really appreciate.

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2015, 08:52:55 AM »

One last thing.  Get a voltmeter and check the 12v and 5v supply from the power brick.  If there was a spike when the power failed it may have damaged the power supply.  We run all our important things, servers, storage units and NAS boxes on UPSs for that very reason.

If it does turn out to be a bad power brick you may be able to get a replacement from http://www.webducommerce.com

DaDzzzz

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2015, 08:55:34 AM »

Will do, thanks Ivan