• April 26, 2024, 11:16:49 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Help with admin password - newbie question  (Read 27035 times)

tpinel

• Level 1 Member
Help with admin password - newbie question
« on: September 13, 2009, 08:25:43 AM »

I have been using a DLink DIR-628 successfully for the past few months, and had it set up as an open network.  I recently did a clean install of my notebook (Windows XP) and when I first connected to the wireless network from the notebook, it somehow set up the router as a secure network.  I used the 8-digit number on the router when requested, and the notebook is connecting fine.  However, my iphone was using this network as well, and it is asking for a password to connect.  I don't know what password this is, nor can I seem to get into the Admin settings through my notebook.  When I go to http://192.168.0.1/, and set it as "Admin" and leave the Password blank, it says "Invalid Password, please try again". 

I don't know whether I set some password when I was reconnecting - it saved a text file called WSC_PROFILE, which contains a few different pieces of information, none of which seem to do the trick.

Any advice?

Thanks

smlunatick

• Level 5 Member
Re: Help with admin password - newbie question
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 01:09:18 PM »

The password for http://192.160.0.1 and "admin " is not what you need to connect your iPhone to the network.  You will need to access the the router's configuration page (http://192.168.0.1 and "admin" in order to check for the wireless network "passphrase."

tpinel

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 04:47:28 PM »

Thanks smlunatick - unfortunately, I can only get to the router page that asks for a login to the router - I'm hoping I can turn off the security once I'm in there.  The problem is that I can't get past the login.  All the instructions that I have tell me to leave the User Name as "Admin" and leave the Password blank.  When I hit the "Log In" button, I get the "Invalid password, please try again" message. 

I'm trying to understand what I can do to get into the router configuration - there must be some way to do it since I have access to the router itself.  Will simply resetting make this problem go away?

smlunatick

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 06:25:37 AM »

If / when you reset the router, you will revert the router's configuration back to factory defaults.  This will reset the login password back to the default.  However, this will "clear out" the wireless network settings and will normally "break" the Internet access (unless you have Cable based Internet.)

If you decide to reset the router, first locate your Internet access details.