• April 27, 2024, 01:33:49 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Certain web sites won't load  (Read 5323 times)

jletaw

• Level 1 Member
Certain web sites won't load
« on: August 25, 2009, 08:00:59 PM »

Hi. I just got the 628, almost everything working fine.  I can surf, VOIP, connect Wii wirelessly, etc.  The only thing is, certain web pages won't load.  These include www.signonsandiego.com, www.washingtonpost.com, myspace and a few others.  99% of all other web pages load no problem, quickly and completely.  This is true whether I connect wired or wirelessly.

For the pages that don't load, I just get a blank browser screen. The status bar at the bottom says "Waiting for <webpage>" or it might say "Transferring data from <webpage>" but nothing loads. Generally, they don't even timeout; they just try endlessly to load which seems weird (at least for 5 minutes, after which I generally close the window.)

I have a MacBook with OSX 10.5.8 and PC with XP on the LAN.  The Mac has Firefox and Safari; the PC has IE and FF.  All have the latest s/w updates.  I have the same problem with the same sites on both computers on all 4 browsers.  Thus, it must be a router problem.  It cannot be a browser or machine-specific problem. Occasionally, I can tap into my neighbor's unsecured wifi, and when I do I can surf these websites.  So it's not a wifi problem.

My 628 has the latest firmware.  Is there some firewall setting that might be blocking some element that these websites have in common?  I don't know much about firewalls so I don't worry about "talking down" to me about it.  I read the help files and nothing really jumped out at me.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 08:09:42 PM by jletaw »

jletaw

• Level 1 Member
Re: Certain web sites won't load
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 08:20:09 AM »

Hi, I just solved my own problem courtesy of a 4-year-old post I found at
www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t37321-another-linksys-router-blocking-some-sites.html

This guy mentions the MTU size being set too high and talks about a web-based tool to test it. I ran the test and it suggested my MTU was set too high. My MTU was at the default of 1492 which normally ought to be ok. Still, I reduced it to 1400 and instantly the websites I couldn't view became accessible.  I hope you can try this out.

In the 628, once you do initial set up, MTU isn't a setting you come across while browsing the various windows. You have to go back to Setup, then Manual Setup to find it. 

FWIW, besides fixing sites that were unviewable, there were also a few sites that loaded slowly or incompletely.  These, too, have markedly improved.