• April 27, 2024, 01:37:26 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Dir-628 won't save settings  (Read 6628 times)

hack

• Level 1 Member
Dir-628 won't save settings
« on: June 27, 2009, 07:56:35 AM »

hello,

I'm installing a new 628 out of the box. Firmware is 1.13, 2008/10/01, which the router tells me is the latest. Running PPPoE on DSL, administering from an XP SP2 box.

When I change a setting in the web interface and then click on "Save Settings," or when I try to add an inbound filter rule, the screen will hang for 20-30 seconds while refreshing. Windows will tell me that a network cable is unplugged. Then I will either get kicked back to the router's login screen or else to a page that says the network connection was interrupted and to try again. In either case, once I go back in, I find that the change was not accepted.

I first noticed this with the router's time setting. A hard reset (pen in the recessed switch on the back) finally allowed me to make this adjustment, but I don't want to hard reset every time I make a change. If I could get things mostly the way I want them I could safe a config file, but I'm not there yet.

So is this pilot error or a buggy box? TIA for any input.

smlunatick

• Level 5 Member
Re: Dir-628 won't save settings
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 08:04:03 AM »

Firmware 1.13 is not the "official" latest version.  There is a 1.20 version, which adds additions features but you can not "downgrade" (aka revert to an older version.)  Read the support web site notes.

I believe you have received a "flaky" unit.  My DIR-628 is "behaving" correctly.

no2u

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 06:04:14 AM »

I had this same issue with 1.13 firmware, and it occurred after I temporarily disabled wireless.  Whenever I tried to re-enable wireless and Save Settings, the router would reset without accepting my changes.  The kludge workaround is as follows (accessing the router from a browser on the wired LAN):

1.  Save settings to a file.
2.  Reset router to default factory settings, router will restart (your IP address may change at this point)
3.  Log in to router with default (blank) password, and restore settings from file, but DO NOT restart router at this point.
4.  Re-enable wireless, and Save Settings should now work.
5.  Now you can restart the router and change any other settings.

The moral of the story is don't disable wireless if using 1.13 firmware (or try 1.20)

chris_cesar

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 05:31:25 AM »

Like they said try first update it to the latest firmware and then reconfigure the router again. You may also try delete the cookies, clear history and restore browsing history as well.

smlunatick

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 05:49:01 PM »

On other thing is that might be worth a try:  are you not using Internet Explorer to consfigure your unit?  I have seen this with FireFox.