• April 25, 2024, 07:17:52 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: The power management thing is idiotic.  (Read 6700 times)

chewy

• Level 1 Member
The power management thing is idiotic.
« on: July 22, 2009, 08:33:33 PM »

Why can't change the drive sleep time to whatever I want???

Am I missing something?? This is just bizarre.

~chewy

superxoum

• Level 1 Member
Re: The power management thing is *****ic.
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 05:05:55 AM »

Even if I'm more than happy with the DSN 323...... the time management and power saving options are just useless and not working....
my drives are working all the time... tried everything (disabling Itunes server and reset to factory setting)

I definetely think that this is time now for D-Link to find a satisfactory solution.......

Max

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 10:02:30 AM »

superxoum - if your DNS-323 won't hibernate, then perhaps you need to track down the cause rather than just blaming DLink - I have no problems with hibernation, and have rarely had, with any of the firmware versions - there are different possible causes ranging from the settings you select for the internal servers, to access from external devices.

chewy - what do you mean by "drive sleep time" - the length of time of inactivity beyond which the drives will hibernate?  I can chose from 5,10,15,20,25,30 minutes & 1,2,3,4,5 hours - you need more than that?
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

chewy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 01:27:24 PM »

superxoum - if your DNS-323 won't hibernate, then perhaps you need to track down the cause rather than just blaming DLink - I have no problems with hibernation, and have rarely had, with any of the firmware versions - there are different possible causes ranging from the settings you select for the internal servers, to access from external devices.

chewy - what do you mean by "drive sleep time" - the length of time of inactivity beyond which the drives will hibernate?  I can chose from 5,10,15,20,25,30 minutes & 1,2,3,4,5 hours - you need more than that?

I would love to be able to choose 4 hours, could you PRETTY PLEASE show me how....

~chewy

superxoum

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 02:33:06 PM »

Fordem... sorry but it seems I'm not the only one :
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=6420.0
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=732.0
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=3442.0
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=3481.0
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=3023.0
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=2678.0
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=3394.msg19018#msg19018
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=732.0
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=3772.0

I'm with FW 1.07 / raid 1
I've tried everything, disabling Upnp, Itune Server, reset to factory settings etc....

I'm just hoping we or D-link can find a good solution.
That story about drives not hibernating is not new....it seems it has been the case for the past 2 or 3 FW updates.

If you have the solution please share  ! ;-)))
Max

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 03:32:48 PM »

Just reading the first couple threads I am seeing that they have been solved, either by not understanding the interafctions of the device (as Fordem stated), or firmware (use the newest or else this discussion is moot).

Read you entire examples, as there is no point posting an example that argues against your point.  The first couple I read only make you seem foolish, I quit reading after that and so will most anyone else.
non progredi est regredi

chewy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 06:44:29 PM »

Just reading the first couple threads I am seeing that they have been solved, either by not understanding the interafctions of the device (as Fordem stated), or firmware (use the newest or else this discussion is moot).

Read you entire examples, as there is no point posting an example that argues against your point.  The first couple I read only make you seem foolish, I quit reading after that and so will most anyone else.

I am using 1.06, no need to upgrade to 1.07 as I am not using Hitachi drives.

The only option I get is 5 minutes to 30 minutes......where do I choose hours??

Thank you

~chewy

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 05:51:29 AM »

Chewy I'm running the 1.08 beta, which should be released within the next week or so - by the way - I'd be interested in why anyone would want to set a hibernate time of fours hours, anything over an hour makes little sense to me, and I have mine set for five minutes.

Superxoum - I never said that you were the only one OR that it wasn't a common problem, and I will tell every one experiencing it exactly the same thing, YOU (or THEY) need to track down the cause, rather than venting at DLink, it is more likely than not, something in your environment or the way you have to chosen to use it that is causing it not to hibernate.

For the sake of discussion, let's say you have enabled one of the optional servers - AV or iTunes - and you have some media device accessing the server repeatedly, don't expect it to hibernate, perhaps you have the BT client or the ftp server active and there is constant access from outside your network.

Start by disconnecting the network cable from your DNS-323, if it hibernates whilst disconnected then the cause is external to the device, if it doesn't then the cause is internal - disable any optional servers and clear the print queue and see if it hibernates.

I've had my DNS-323 since late 2006 and during that time the only "known" problem that caused the unit to not hibernate (it would actually hibernate and then spin backup) has been a print job left in the queue, requiring a tedious work around to get it cleared, D-Link has since included a "clear queue" button in the web interface to simplify the task.

chewy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2009, 03:10:02 PM »

Chewy I'm running the 1.08 beta, which should be released within the next week or so - by the way - I'd be interested in why anyone would want to set a hibernate time of fours hours, anything over an hour makes little sense to me, and I have mine set for five minutes.

I use my DNS at home and every odd time when I try to access data from it I have to wait for the drives to spin up.  A 4 hour setting would be ideal, it seems really weird to me that a simple option to choose a custom time has taken such a long time to implement.  I will eagerly await the final release for 1.08 and I thank you for your help.

~chewy

« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 03:19:41 PM by D-Link Multimedia »

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2009, 05:51:48 PM »

If the wait for the drives to spin up is such an irritant, you can simply disable hibernation - and I'm willing to bet you'll find it doesn't make that much of a difference.

chewy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2009, 11:33:59 PM »

If the wait for the drives to spin up is such an irritant, you can simply disable hibernation - and I'm willing to bet you'll find it doesn't make that much of a difference.

The box gets hot and when I go for sleepy time the noise of the Seagate drives disrupts my dreams.

hilaireg

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2009, 09:27:36 AM »

Sounds to me like your after a hibernate/shutdown schedule (between hh:mm to hh:mm) with an option to wake up for the day.

As for lack of hibernation, 'fordem' is correct; you have something on your network accessing the device or something in the device is enabled and preventing hibernation.  Unplug the network cable is see if the device hibernates after 15 minutes - if it does, you have your answer.

;)

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2009, 04:02:13 PM »

The box gets hot and when I go for sleepy time the noise of the Seagate drives disrupts my dreams.

Does it now?  There are two points I want to emhpasize here

With a four hour time to hibernate, it's going to be running for four hours after you last accessed it, that is four hours of idle time whilst it is not being used.

#1 - the temperature at the end of the four hours is not going to be any less than it was at the end of the first 30 mins.

#2 - that's four hours of drive noise disturbing your sleep.