• March 28, 2024, 12:58:18 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: VPN - L2TP - Not working  (Read 19757 times)

wonders81

• Level 1 Member
Re: VPN - L2TP - Not working
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2018, 10:28:53 AM »

Sorry, I just found it on the upgrade page. Sorry. It says the FW date is 2018-10-09. Is this the one I need?

[Before I do a factory reset: where can I check  the current Fw date? How can I be sure that the beta upload was successful?]
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 10:32:07 AM by wonders81 »

GreenBay42

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2018, 10:31:06 AM »

In your web browser, enter http://192.168.0.1/version.txt    (IP is the LAN ip of your router)

wonders81

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2018, 10:44:25 AM »

Thank you GreenBay42, the internal version is V1.11B01, so it should be the right beta, but still, if I turn on the SPI the VPN does not work.

My router is behind the ISP-s router, but in it's DMZ. Is it possible that this is the problem?

GreenBay42

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2018, 01:08:22 PM »

it could be. VPN through double-NAT is not suggested even if DMZ is enabled. That just forwards all ports to the 2nd router, but the 1st router is still using NAT and inspecting all the incoming traffic so with the SPI enabled it may be blocking the incoming VPN connection from the 1st router. it is better to bridge it or get just a modem from the ISP.

I know this issue is hit or miss. My unit does not work no matter what firmware version I have but it did work for me_iauras. When SPI is enable, VPN does not work.

One thing to test, maybe if you have a friend or family you could try their network and see if the router works at their location...one without a modem/router combo.

wonders81

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2018, 11:17:03 PM »

OK, thank you GreenBay42, I'll try to put the first router into bridge mode if I get there once.

Edit: sorry, I missed to turn on the pptp passthrough. After turning it on the outgoing vpn works fine.

[But one more strange thing: trying to connect to a PPTP VPN from the inside network through the D-Link and the ISP's router. With my previous router (which I replaced with the D-link) it worked without any problem. Now I can't connect through the D-link router. I connected my client into the middle network, right behind the ISP's router and before the D-link, and it also worked. So it seems like D-link is different in handling the VPN traffic than other routers.]
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 12:02:42 AM by wonders81 »

wonders81

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2018, 12:42:47 PM »

I put the ISP-s device into pptp pass-through mode and now the VPN works fine. But is there a way to put the VPN clients into the same subnet as the inside network? It would be great if I shouldn't use the default gateway over the VPN.

GreenBay42

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2018, 01:20:41 PM »

Your clients behind the router should get the IP settings from the VPN server.  Do not change the IP settings on your clients since when using a VPN it creates a virtual "adapter" that takes on your VPN IP settings.

If you can connect to your VPN and access shares, etc on that network, it is working.

Pages: 1 2 [3]