• March 28, 2024, 03:52:19 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: FTP Step by step  (Read 36735 times)

ivan

• Level 8 Member
Re: FTP Step by step
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2016, 03:31:21 PM »

Let me see if this works and makes sense to you.

Setting up the NAS FTP Server

Logon to the NAS and select Management.

Select Account Management, then Users/Groups and if necessary create a user  (I have os2 as the user because that is the catch all user here at work).

Now select Network Shares and make sure you have a Share Name and Path (create as necessary for your camera) them make sure it is shared over FTP (mine shows CIFS as well because this is our catch all NAS unit).

Now go to Application Management and select FTP Server.  The default settings as shown in the picture should work (they do for us so we have never changed them).   Don't forget to save settings.

You can log out of the nas at this point.

Testing the FTP Server is next.

Start FileZilla and fill in the Host (shown, 192.168.0.32 the default for the NAS box - you need to use whatever you have set your NAS box to), Username and Password then click Quickconnect.

You should see very close to what is shown in the status box at the top.  If it connects it will show, as the remote site your nas FTP shares (in this example it is the root directory and then Volume_1)

The following is another FTP client connecting to the test NAS.

Assuming you were able to connect to the NAS using FileZilla we come to the FTP settings for the camera.

In this I have used the same settings as in FileZilla for FTP server (Host), username and password, because this is the only way for the camera to see the FTP server.

Ftp mode is set to PASV,  This is the only extra setting you need.

Then click the test button and you should get the Success indication.

If you do, then your camera is talking with your NAS box and what is sent is up to you to set.

I do hope this will help you but as usual, if you have any questions please ask.  Also note the nas settings pages are from a DNS-320 not a DNS-320L so there might be slight differences.

QM75

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2016, 10:06:21 AM »

Hi mate, great work.. loving it..

The FTP connection works in Filezilla, but when I try adding the same details into the camera settings, I get an error saying: "FTP server address error" so not sure whats wrong??

QM75

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2016, 10:38:38 AM »

I assume I would also need to set a DIR on the NAS for the camera to save to? How do I make this DIR accessible online for the camera?

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2016, 11:00:30 AM »

Good, at least we know the NAS FTP Server is up and running.

You should have set up a share directory in the 'Network Shares' section.  May I suggest something like 'camera' with its own user and password (the user and password would be the ones in the camera FTP setup.

Now I will try and guess what the people that wrote the camera software were thinking.  In the example they give for the FTP Server it starts with ftp:// so you could try, as my example ftp://192.168.0.32/  This should get you to the server with the user/password defining the directory (at least that is how it works for our security cameras and we don't need the ftp:// either).  Normally you only need the ftp:// in front of the IP address if you are trying to connect via a browser but then I am not going to try and get into the mind of Chinese programmers.

If you are still not able to connect to the NAS, try using ftp://192.168.0.32/camera and see what happens.

QM75

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2016, 11:35:34 AM »

Success!! Amazing mate.. Cheers for everything :) :)

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2016, 11:43:03 AM »

Glad to have been of help.

Out of curiosity what did the camera FTP client need to be able to see the NAS?

Asked in order that it might help someone else.

QM75

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2016, 12:09:16 PM »

Added the FTP:// bit before the url
Pages: 1 [2]