• March 28, 2024, 11:23:56 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Problems logging onto Yahoo. Is this a router setting problem?  (Read 8481 times)

1968 Torino GT

Problems logging onto Yahoo. Is this a router setting problem?
« on: November 24, 2008, 03:36:18 PM »

I am having problems logging onto Yahoo. This happens quite ofter. I get the Can't find site screen in IE. Also it is slow logging on/finding sites at times. Usually when I can't log onto Yahoo I can log onto a different site like Google or something else.
 I am running 1.13 firmware, it is in G mode & have good signal.

Please help. I don't know much about wireless setups or routers for that matter. Is there a setting that should be changed? If there is a setting that need to be changed what is it, where is it, what should it be & what does it do?

Thanks for the help.

arod

Re: Problems logging onto Yahoo. Is this a router setting problem?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 03:58:12 PM »

1968 Torino GT,

What kind of wireless adapter do you have? Have you tried to update the driver for it? Please give us more detail on what's connected to the router and how the devices are connected to it.

1968 Torino GT

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 01:34:31 AM »

Hi,
 Thanks for the help. I will list what I have the best I can.

1) The router is hooked into a Westell Model 6100 DSL modem.

2) I have a USB flash drive connected to the router.

3) Those are the only items hard wired to the router.

4) My computer is a Averatec 7100 series laptop with intergrated wireless. To the best of my knolwodge it is a Ralink Technology 802.11b/g MiniPCI Wireless Adapter (this is what XP-Pro reports). The chipset is a RT2561T
Specs: AMD Turion 64 MT-30 1.6Ghz cpu with 2Gig of memory.

5) There are a total of 2 Averatec 7100 series laptops (same specs) on the system.

6) HP 8180 All in one printer.

I just now had XP look for a new driver & it didn't find one. I then checked the Ralink website and it lists a new driver I think is for my card. I am downloading it now, will try and install it & will let you know.

What other info do you need?

arod

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 08:43:07 AM »

1968 Torino GT ,

That's pretty much the info we need. Try giving that driver a shot and see if makes any improvements. Also, I noticed in your previous post you're running 1.13 firmware on the router. If you're familiar with upgrading the firmware try to upgrade to 1.15. Keep in mind you'll probably have to re-configure your router from scratch.  Once you're up and running test those sites you're having issues with. If still having issues we'll go into configuring MTU's.. but first try the driver and firmware upgrades.

chrisnclovis

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 03:50:45 PM »

If the westell modem is not bridged then you might be having an issue because of be double natted meaning that the westell modem is natting or givng a private IP to the DGL-4500 and of course the DGL-4500 is assigning private IP addresses to your wireless network. Sometimes being connected to the internet behind two NATs can cause connection problems, it might not effect every computer on the DGL-4500's network or the problems can be random.

You might want to contact your internet service provider and see about having the westell modem put into bridge mode so that it assigns a public IP address to the DGL-4500.

Have a super day.

gshaghoian

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 04:14:37 PM »

Try lowering your MTU to 1472. This will be in the WAN settings of your router. That should fix the issue.

Kakashi::.

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 09:47:44 PM »

You can also try changing the NAT Endpoint Filtering to "Endpoint Independent"  or even disabling SPI from the Advanced/Firewall settings

Give it a run and see how that changes your results. . . 

1968 Torino GT

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2008, 12:00:10 AM »

Hi,
 Sorry I havn't gotten back sooner. I am just now able to check back & have 1 update to give. I upgraded the driver for my wireless card in my laptop & gave that a try. It still is acting up & having the same problems. I also have noticed that the problem is not just limited to the Yahoo site and that sometimes it doesn't have a problem. As soon as I can I will start trying in order all your sugestions. I will probably need some help walking through some of them but will let you know.
 I will update you as I try the different suggestions. I will try & do them one at a time so we know what works. (I have upgraded the router firmware from the 1.02 to 1.13 so I won't need help doing the upgrade to 1.15)
 One question. Should I try to see if I have the same problem when connecting the laptop to a LAN port on the router? Could this make a difference in the solution if I have the same issue?
(Note: the laptop has a built in Agere Systems ET-131x Gigabit Ethernet Controller)

Thank you all again for the quick help. Hope everyone had a good & safe Thanksgiving.

gshaghoian

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2008, 08:15:41 PM »

Do you have DSL or Cable?

If you have DSL I'd be willing to bet the only thing you have to do is lower your MTU.

If you don't know how to log into your router refer to support.dlink.com and put your model number in.

There will be an FAQ on how to log in.

The MTU setting is in the WAN section under the Basic tab (click Manual Internet Connection Setup).