• April 25, 2024, 01:01:30 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Change MTU / edit jumbo frames setting  (Read 9833 times)

Jdlnk12

• Level 1 Member
Change MTU / edit jumbo frames setting
« on: September 19, 2015, 03:42:03 AM »

Dear,

Does anybody know how to edit the MTU setting on the DAP-1665 and/or where to enable or modify the jumbo frames setting?

According to the manual, the MTU setting can be changed as follows:

"... Click OK to enter the web configuration page for the device. Click on Setup and then click Manual Configure. To change the MTU enter the number in the MTU field and click Save Settings to save your settings."

On the web configuration page however, I don't have the "Manual Configure" button or tab. I can choose between three options  Setup Wizard, Wireless setup and LAN Setup. When I choose Wireless setup or LAN Setup, I am able to manually configure the unit (as I did when setting up the device initially because I don't want to be using the wizard) but I can't find any setting related to MTU or jumbo frames on these pages.

Does anyone know how I can edit these settings?

Background info: I have the DAP-1665 connected to switches which support jumbo frames up to 9K. When performing tests with a client connected to the switches by cable, I can indeed use frames up to 9K. When testing with the client connected to the DAP-1665 using the wireless signal, I can't use frames up to that size, allthough the wireless NIC of the client supports it and has it enabled.

I have read online that the DAP-1665 supports jumbo frames so I am looking into changing the related settings. I asked through Dlink support already but have yet to receive an answer.

I have the DAP-1665 set up in 'Access point' mode

Hardware version  A1
Firmware  1.11

Kind regards,

Joeri

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: Change MTU / edit jumbo frames setting
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 10:45:49 AM »

Link>Welcome!

• What Hardware version is your DAP? Look at the sticker under the DAP.
  • Link>What Firmware version is currently loaded? Found on the DAPs web page under status.

MTU value is usually needed for specific ISP modem and service installations where a external router may not be present. Like if you connected this DAP directly to an ISP modem, and the service was DSL and uses 1472, then the MTU value could be set. I'm wondering if it maybe hidden or not supported if its not directly connected to a modem. However I don't see any MTU configuration settings listed in the user manual.

Jumbo Frames may or may not be supported on this or maybe if it is, automatic. You might phone contact your regional D-Link support office and ask about these features...Let us know what you find out.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

Jdlnk12

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 08:42:07 AM »

Dear FurryNutz,

Thanks for your reply.

Hardware Version = A1
Firmware Version = 1.11

In the meantime I have also tested after updating the firmware to Firmware Version: 1.13 but there isn't any MTU option either. Note that when I let the AP check for itself if there was a new firmware version, using the Check Now button next to 'Check Online Now for Latest Firmware and Language pack Version', it reported having the latest version. However when I checked on the Dlink support site myself, there was a newer version available (1.13). Nevertheless the firmware update hasn't had any impact related to MTU. One difference I noticed in the newer firmware is that the configured wifi security key on the web interface is now hidden (shown as bullets), whereas previously it could be read from the interface.

I have also received a reply on the support ticket I opened at Dlink. They answered "that MTU/jumbo frames is only for Ethernet. Given the fact that this is an accesspoint, the option is not available on this device".

While I can accept the fact that the option is not available on the device, I did notify them that if this is the case, they would best modify there manual. See the manual on this link, describing how to modify the MTU on page 94. The instructions are not correct however, which is why I contacted them. If the option is not available they would be better to simply remove this topic from the manual.

ftp://ftp2.dlink.com/PRODUCTS/DAP-1665/REVA/DAP-1665_MANUAL_1.00_EN.PDF

In the end / all together, it is not that vital for me to be able to change the MTU on the accesspoint since everything is working 'fine'. However, if it was possible, I wanted to know how to be able to experiment with different values to try to optimize bandwith between some of the clients on my local network that are connected to the DAP-1665's wireless signal.

Kind regards.

Joeri
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 08:49:57 AM by FurryNutz »

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 08:55:23 AM »

Thanks for the update and feed back.

I corrected your URL link. For any FTP URLS, please use the 4 icon to the right of the 2nd Hyperlink icon for settings FTP URL links. The 2nd icon from the left is for HTTP URLS.

As for the MTU information. The information is correct and is categorized under troubleshooting, however it maybe mis-leading as it should reference making any MTU settings or changes on the main host router or ISP modems. I believe if they directed users to there modems and routers regarding MTU, this would be less confusing. Any MTU changes and configurations are done on ISP modems and or routers only.

Hope the DAP works well for you.

Enjoy.  ;)
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.