• April 26, 2024, 04:42:12 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Incorrect signal values, unwanted RTL8186-default SSID on 5G  (Read 17215 times)

_dirk_

• Level 1 Member
Incorrect signal values, unwanted RTL8186-default SSID on 5G
« on: April 28, 2015, 03:49:04 AM »

Hi everyone,

I bought a DAP-1665 in January 2015. I'm using the device in client mode only, a handy feature. A month and a half later I had to send it back because it suddenly stopped working (as if the power was constantly resetting the device, quite weird). I got a new one and it seemed to work fine.

A few days ago I discovered the signal values reported in the web interface were incredibly low (15) for an access point only a few meters away. Some SSIDs picked up by my mobile and tablet remained "invisible". I updated to the latest firmware but no luck. I reset the device, swapped the antennas (left became right and vice versa) restored the configuration and it seemed solved. However I noticed the 5G led was now constantly on (strange, the wifi client was connected to an 2.4G network) and an SSID "RTL8186-default" had appeared (as open network) on 5G. I rebooted and the 5G SSID disappeared.

Afterwards I tried swapping the antennas again and it seems like their order influences the bad reception somehow. Are both antennas in the back used for sending/receiving? Anyhow I'm wondering whether something is wrong with the antennas or the device as a whole. I'm starting to loose confidence. This isn't normal behaviour... In addition the SSID "RTL8186-default" is also back and I have no clue how to get rid of it.

Anyone with similar experience? Should I contact support or send the device back? As far as I know I can't telnet into it to have a look myself which is a real pitty. I definitely prefer more open firmware...

Thanks for helping me out!

Best regards,
Dirk

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: Incorrect signal values, unwanted RTL8186-default SSID on 5G
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 07:08:51 AM »

Link>Welcome!

• What Hardware version is your DAP? Look at the sticker under the DAP.
  • Link>What Firmware version is currently loaded? Found on the DAPs web page under status.
  • What region are you located?
What is the Mfr and model of the main host router?

• Was a Factory Reset performed before and after any firmware updates then set up from scratch?
>FW Update Process

Wireless Configurations
Links>Wireless Installation Considerations and Managing Signal Congestion and Good Neighbour Policy
  • Ensure the default (dlink) SSID name is changed. Ensure that different SSID names are used between each WiFi 2.4/5Ghz radios. Can be anything and not something that's already in use by any neighbouring WiFi routers. Under Setup/Wireless/Manual.
  • What wireless modes are you using?
  • 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz routers: Try single mode G or N or mixed G and N on 2.4Ghz and single mode N or AC on 5Ghz?
  • Try setting a manual Channel to a open or unused channel. 1, 6 or 11. 11 for single mode N if the channel is clear. 13 for EU regions. Try channel 48 or 149 on 5Ghz.
  • What security mode are you using? Preferred security is WPA-Personal. WPA2/AES Only. Some WiFi adapters don't support AES, so you might want to try TPIK only or Auto TPIK and AES.
  • What wireless devices do you have connected?
  • Ensure any devices with WiFi adapter drivers are updated.
  • Any 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz cordless house phones or WiFi APs near by that maybe causing interferences?
  • Any other WiFi routers in the area that maybe causing interferences? Link> Use InSSIDer to find out. How many? Use v3, its free.
  • If you have any of these options, Try turning OFF or ON Short GI, WLAN Partition, Extra Wireless Protection and HT 20/40 Co-existence if you have it. Also testing with HT20/40Mhz Co-existence enabled will impact results as well. I prefer to use this option OFF. Recommended settings are default. Under Advanced/Advanced Wireless.

Router/DAP Placement
Forum User - "Well I feel really dumb. After moving the router away from other electronic devices my speeds are back to normal. Just a heads up for anyone experiencing slow speeds, you might want to move it away from other electronics and see if that helps."
3-6' feet minimum safe distance between devices.
Placement on main level floor and central in the building and WELL ventilated is preferred. Not in basements or closets as building materials, or near by electronics devices could interfere or hinder good signal propagation.
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-basics/31083-smallnetbuilders-wireless-faq-the-essentials

Could you post a screen shot of this SSID from where your seeing it?  Adding Screenshots In A Post
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

edimer

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 11:17:25 AM »

Hallo, it is interesting think.I keen on similar ... on 5 GHz and help me this.

https://youtu.be/8l6suT2ico8

But signal is different :-)

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 08:39:55 AM »

Link>Welcome!

• What Hardware version is your DAP? Look at the sticker under the DAP.
  • Link>What Firmware version is currently loaded? Found on the DAPs web page under status.
  • What region are you located?
What is the Mfr and model of the main host router?

• Was a Factory Reset performed before and after any firmware updates then set up from scratch?
>FW Update Process

Wireless Configurations
Links>Wireless Installation Considerations and Managing Signal Congestion and Good Neighbour Policy
  • Ensure the default (dlink) SSID name is changed. Ensure that different SSID names are used between each WiFi 2.4/5Ghz radios. Can be anything and not something that's already in use by any neighbouring WiFi routers. Under Setup/Wireless/Manual.
  • What wireless modes are you using?
  • 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz routers: Try single mode G or N or mixed G and N on 2.4Ghz and single mode N or AC on 5Ghz?
  • Try setting a manual Channel to a open or unused channel. 1, 6 or 11. 11 for single mode N if the channel is clear. 13 for EU regions. Try channel 48 or 149 on 5Ghz.
  • What security mode are you using? Preferred security is WPA-Personal. WPA2/AES Only. Some WiFi adapters don't support AES, so you might want to try TPIK only or Auto TPIK and AES.
  • What wireless devices do you have connected?
  • Ensure any devices with WiFi adapter drivers are updated.
  • Any 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz cordless house phones or WiFi APs near by that maybe causing interferences?
  • Any other WiFi routers in the area that maybe causing interferences? Link> Use InSSIDer to find out. How many? Use v3, its free.
  • If you have any of these options, Try turning OFF or ON Short GI, WLAN Partition, Extra Wireless Protection and HT 20/40 Co-existence if you have it. Also testing with HT20/40Mhz Co-existence enabled will impact results as well. I prefer to use this option OFF. Recommended settings are default. Under Advanced/Advanced Wireless.

Router/DAP Placement
Forum User - "Well I feel really dumb. After moving the router away from other electronic devices my speeds are back to normal. Just a heads up for anyone experiencing slow speeds, you might want to move it away from other electronics and see if that helps."
3-6' feet minimum safe distance between devices.
Placement on main level floor and central in the building and WELL ventilated is preferred. Not in basements or closets as building materials, or near by electronics devices could interfere or hinder good signal propagation.
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-basics/31083-smallnetbuilders-wireless-faq-the-essentials

Could you post a screen shot of this SSID from where your seeing it?  Adding Screenshots In A Post

Hallo, it is interesting think.I keen on similar ... on 5 GHz and help me this.

https://youtu.be/8l6suT2ico8

But signal is different :-)
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

_dirk_

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 03:18:36 AM »

Short update: a few days after posting my issues, I was able to fix the "RTL8186-default" SSID issue. I did a factory reset from within the webinterface, rebooted, did another factory reset (maybe not needed but to be sure  ;) ), configured the device in access point mode, disabled the 5GHz radio in access point mode, reconfigured it afterwards to use client mode and then manually reconfigured all remaining settings. I explicitly avoided to import my previous saved settings. Even after a normal reboot of the device, the "RTL8186-default" SSID did not show up again and the 5GHz led is dark.

I still have to test the antennas... swap them and check the reported signal! More later.

Dirk

Note: D-Link, please make this product more "open"... e.g. allow telnet access to console, re-enable syslog as in older products, etc... Asus did and it's great!!!  If not I'm not sure whether I will buy a D-Link product in the future... No console access makes my life harder  ;D

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 07:16:46 AM »

Glad you figured it out. May have been a corrupt saved configuration file. I recommend not used saved config files for troubleshooting. I tend to save config files with IE or FF only. Seen other browsers mess up config files on saving.

I recommend contacting D-Link and asking about telnet on the back end of this model. They may have left it out for some reason.

Let us know how the antenna experiences go.