• April 24, 2024, 08:30:57 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Windows Home Server  (Read 7084 times)

ficht

Windows Home Server
« on: February 26, 2008, 03:40:55 PM »

Does anyone have any experience using the DSM-520 to receive media from Windows Home Server?  If so, how did that work out?
I am looking for a way of connecting my network to my home theater without having to run a MCE box connected to a media extender.
ficht

mhumphri

• Level 2 Member
Re: Windows Home Server
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 03:50:03 PM »

I'm using the HP SmartMedia server which is running Home Windows Server. I ripped my music to the server using Windows Media Player 11. I was able to get the album art to work but I'm having trouble with Playlists.. They have no content.  I've done a little work with Photos and they work well. I haven't done videos yet.  The active TV has the same video problem reported on the forum.  The Vtuner and Live 365 work fine..

mhumphri

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 08:11:57 AM »

I forgot to tell you a couple of things about the HP MediaSmart server.  It won't play protected WDRM content.  HP doesn't want to do a license.  I currently don't have any protected content but if I did, I would have to use the DSM to connect to my desktop PC rather than the Windows Home Server.

ficht

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 11:36:49 AM »

On my WHS box, I have media player 10 installed.  Any attempy to DL media player 11 results in the error message claiming that there is no MP11 version for Windows Server 2003 (The base OS for WHS as I understand it).
I assume that the DSM-520 doesn't run the WMP11 application - am I mistaken?

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 03:24:19 PM »

Try installing Windows media connect 2 to run as your media server on your WHS.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

ficht

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 06:20:53 PM »

Before this gets away from my original question, allow me to amplify my question.
I currently have WHS running and connected to one XP pro and 3 XP home edition boxes.
I store all the media files on the WHS and some others on a network storage server.  In addition to having the WHS serve media to all the PCs, I would like a way to connect my TV and Home theater to the WHS for playing movies, music and displaying photos which are stored on the WHS and NAS.  I know one solution is with a Mediacenter PC and a media center extender.  I would like to do it without another dedicated box running MCE.
It appears to me that a media reciever may be the ticket.  I am interested in the DSM-520 for, among other things, its claim to handle files on an NAS.  I have not purchased one yet.  I would like to know that it will do what I hope it will before getting it.
Am I on the right track or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks
ficht
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 06:22:31 PM by ficht »

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 10:13:12 AM »

Yes ficht you are on the correct path. The DSM-520 can stream from a PC with media server software or a NAS devices with a built in UPnP AV media server.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

ficht

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 11:59:16 AM »

thank you.  I am off to try it.