• April 24, 2024, 10:37:22 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Only 1 HDD Failed and the both amber light ?  (Read 7034 times)

Pyroa

• Level 2 Member
Only 1 HDD Failed and the both amber light ?
« on: August 18, 2009, 12:07:39 PM »

I don't know what think about this problem.

My probleme is link to my décision to use the upnp av server function of the DNS-323.

After have activated the function, my NAS was unacessible from the network ... i look the NAS and i see the two amber light. At this moment i don't know what is the signification of this color.
I search on the manual and i see that is when a disk failed.

oups !! the both disk are failed ???

Ok, I use the diagnostic tool of the HDD manufacturer, and i found nothing ... on the two drive....
I try to reconnect the two disk on the NAS -> same probleme after few minutes

This afternoon, I connect only one the both HDD on the NAS -> failed, amber light
shut down the NAS, i try the other one, and for this moment the HDD seem to be functionnal.

My question is :

It is possible that the NAS put the two light to amber when only one drive is failed ?

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
Re: Only 1 HDD Failed and the both amber light ?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 04:05:21 PM »

It shouldnt' be possible. It means it is receiving critical errors from both drives.  What kind of drives are these?

Pyroa

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 11:48:41 PM »

The drives are Samsung HD501LJ. The Two HDD was tested with the samsungs diagnostic tool and they are ok.

To be sure of the color of the light i've remove the front face of the NAS. And the light is not amber, it is white for the both HDD slot.
THe White color comes after fex minutes a i'm try to backup my data on my computer but the light becomes white before the end of the copy and the NAS become unaccessible from the network, but the web UI is available.

If i remove a HDD from one slot, the light become amber on the empty slot, and the other one stay blue.

reidar77

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 01:24:14 AM »

I have exact the same problem ! I use dlink firmware 1.07 for "sweden".
Nothing wrong with my hdd drives ... but sometimes it suddenly stops and turns on the amber light's pink/white. I turn power off, restarts then everything works fine for a few hours ...

It's also impossible to transfer ~100Gb of files to my PC at once. The transfer starts but after a few files it stops and says that something is wrong. I guess something is ... :)

I am now trying to move all data to my PC and later reformat both drives and upgrade to fimware 1.8 beta. ??? Maybe try some hdd checking tools to look for hardware errors.

(I remember one of my drives is a samsung 750Gb.)

jazzishouse

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 05:09:48 AM »

I used to get this problem with FW 1.06 and 1.07, using Seagate drives. Large data transfers would fail partway through with an error message about network access or something and both drive lights would go pink! Restarting the DNS would put things wright for a while. I reverted to FW 1.05 and now run the 1.08 beta with no problems.

Pyroa

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 05:56:51 AM »

For me the 1.08 give the sames problemes :'(

Pyroa

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 08:08:20 AM »

I'm back,

All my problems listed in this topic, and in this one : http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=992.0
are solved.

My solution : Backup of the datas on other extern HDD, rebuild of the raid 1 ( so format of the both HDD ).
Copy of the backup datas on the HDD and  all now is working fine : The raid, the acces from the network of the NAS, the upnp AV server, and the lwhite light have disapears ... it is very strange.

My problems was appear only when i have activated the Auto-rebuild, and the upnp-AV ....