• April 18, 2024, 05:38:51 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Any resolution to one letter file folders during backup?  (Read 13728 times)

zmcmahan

• Level 1 Member
Any resolution to one letter file folders during backup?
« on: January 10, 2010, 03:48:13 PM »

I've read a few posts about file folders being given one letter, and then being empty, however found no resolutions. Example: Backing up my music will yield my music folders, but then also an empty folder with a capital letter "C". This doesn't happen all the time and not to every letter. I've also noticed that it only happens when I have folders that begin with that letter. Quite weird actually. I have not been able to replicate by clicking "Download Now"...this only happens with scheduled backups that I do overnight. I am doing scheduled downloads from Volume 1 to a Shared Folder in Volume 2, for certain things to be accessible over FTP.

UPDATE: I believe this is only happening with incremental backups.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 04:56:33 PM by zmcmahan »

gee0000

• Level 1 Member
Re: Any resolution to one letter file folders during backup?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 06:23:27 AM »

I'm having this issue right now. I've tried creating a new user account and tried recopying the data, still no luck. I've searched around the forums a bit but no luck. It looks like there's a user (irotjaf) in this thread that is also having the problem.

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=14130.msg82697#msg82697

Can anyone shed some light? I was thinking of trying a factory reset. Does that wipe the data off the drives?

I'm running firmware 1.08.

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 04:05:40 PM »

No it doesn't wipe the drives. Have a backup to hand though.
If your little 323 is not working right,
You've racked your brains and been up all night
Take a deep breath and wipe away the sweat,
Login as web admin and try a factory reset!

gee0000

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 05:04:02 PM »

Well, reset to factory defaults didn't help. That's disappointing. It seems like everyone else that was having this issue gave up. I suppose I will add this to the ongoing issues thread.

irotjaf

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 12:51:11 AM »

I still have this issue.

And hope the data is safe (the NAS is only creating and not deleting any folder "by mistake").

Can somebody from DLINK investigate this problem. What kind of NAS is one that create folders on it's own. You never know where or what has been created by you and what by the NAS.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 12:53:11 AM by irotjaf »

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 07:47:12 AM »

I want to help but I'm completely confused as to how you are making this happen.
What do you mean "Download now..."? So you are saying incremental backups are causing this?

I've never seen this problem in 2 years, but then I don't use any "incremental" backups facility.

Did you run a scandisk on the drives?

Could you give us an example of folder structure/what's appearing in those folders and when?

irotjaf

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 06:39:43 PM »

The problem is folders are created out of nothing. And they are named with a single letter. Here is an image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 01:33:07 AM »

And that happens as the result of running an incremental backup? Is there any significance in the folder timestamps all being the same and different from the other folders?

irotjaf

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 12:54:08 AM »

I dont know if the folders are created because the backup is "incremental" or not. The timestamp is that of the daily backup I have set at 5:30 in the morning. The problem seem to be in the Download Scheduler application. Something happens there to create these folders.

Just a guess, I kind of remember having the computer on and using the NAS at that time. Can it be that is happens when I am using the NAS only? Boh, what about the others, do you remember any coincidence?

gee0000

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 05:53:19 AM »

I've managed to confirm that the issue does only occur with incremental backups. I haven't had the problem when doing a full volume copy. Obviously it isn't ideal to have the NAS copy all the contents from Volume_1 to Volume_2 every night, or every week for that matter.

The letters it chooses are the first letters of the names of the folders it's supposed to copy. For example, on Volume_1 I have folders Data, Media and Work, and when the incremental backups happens, it creates folders D, M and W. All these folders are empty and nothing is copied to them ever. Even if I let the incremental backup run again the next night, nothing happens.

irotjaf

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2010, 10:52:25 AM »

Great gee0000, I cannot confirm right away because there I haven't updated anything from saome days. But will check better to see if your observation is correct in my NAS too.

Thank you.

irotjaf

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2010, 07:49:53 PM »

Hello all,

I haven't changed anything in the backup folders, yet it happened again that the backup from one disk to the other have new one-letter folders.

So, the letters are not taken from folder with new material affecting the incremental backup. I don't know how does the NAS choose the letters to create these folders.

Buhric

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2010, 02:35:33 PM »

I can confirm that its not only with incremential backups...
 tried to copy over 1 folder that contains a bunch of folder over the 2nd second
and at the end. I had a bunch of empty 1 letter folders, and it ahd NOT copied over ALL the folder from the 1st drive...

And before this can resolved, I thing wee need to know how the DNS-323 does its backups/file transfers..
Is it using rsync ? or what else?

irotjaf

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 06:21:23 PM »

Can any DLINK engeneer write here a word on the problem. At least that the issue will be addressed sooner or later.

This is a pure bug. And bugs should be resolved asap, not just ignored and left in some forum thread.

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2010, 05:57:01 AM »

Is it using rsync ? or what else?

I doubt it's rsync. It's not available by default.
Do you guys have any modifications installed/running i.e. Fonz Funplug (FFP) ?
Pages: [1] 2