• March 28, 2024, 01:53:54 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: problems copying files from pc  (Read 5811 times)

Wyrdmya

• Level 1 Member
problems copying files from pc
« on: April 17, 2010, 04:48:16 PM »

Hi,
We have been using the DNS-323 for backup, mainly for digital photos. I have only just noticed that we have been having a problem for a year now - every month, I "copy" a folder of digital photos over onto both discs, however, not all the files within the folder are appearing. Those that do appear, appear to be duplicated. e.g. in the folder for June 2009 on my pc, I have 410 files. On the storage, I have only 357 files but some of the files are duplicated/triplicated. There is plenty of space on both discs, so why can't I transfer all that I want to?

Wyrdmya

• Level 1 Member
Re: problems copying files from pc
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 10:28:53 AM »

Are there no clever people on here with any ideas about this? I want to use the DNS-323 as a backup but if it won't even store files....

Could a reason be due to firmware? I have just noticed that the firmware has not been updated since 1.01 (hardware revision A1). I'll probably have to back up the two drives onto pc or dvd. Do I then take the plunge and upgrade to 1.08 or would I need to install each upgrade (1.03, 1.04, 1.05..... )?

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 11:16:06 AM »

I'd always recommend updating to the latest stable firmware. You don't need to update to each version, go straight to 1.08. Then perform a factory reset and reconfigure your setting. Make a note of them first.

Whether or not that will solve your issue, I don't know. I'd have another look at how you are copying the files. None of us know exactly how you are doing that.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 11:21:21 AM by jamieburchell »
If your little 323 is not working right,
You've racked your brains and been up all night
Take a deep breath and wipe away the sweat,
Login as web admin and try a factory reset!

Wyrdmya

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 02:31:55 PM »

I've tried ftp, and just copy & paste with  windows explorer on Vista. Everything worked up until April 2009 perfectly (with copy & paste) - no ghostly duplicates and everything was there. Since then, not all the files selected and ctrl+c appear when pasted. Individual files (one at a time) appear ok, however, even copying and pasting 11 jpg files (0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10) don't all appear (came out as 0 0 3 3 4 4 6 6 7 7 10 10).
Space isn't a problem - 276GB used, 410GB free on one disk.

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 02:44:55 PM »

Are you saying they appear duplicated in the same folder, with the exact same filename i.e. 0.jpg and 0.jpg? Are you also saying that the same issue is happening when using FTP?

Do you have similar issues copying other, multiple files to other destinations on the NAS?

Do you have access to another computer where you could try copying files?

Have you checked your hard drives with the scandisk function of the web UI?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 02:48:08 PM by jamieburchell »

novina

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 08:28:16 PM »

I had same/similar problem. Raid 1, 2x500Gb.
At some point i noticed that all I moved to DNS323 was not there or some filed are visible but cannot read.
Older files are ok.
Something happened on certain date. I guess setting up autobackup function to save to that DNS on my pc/vista home premium  caused the problem. .

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 01:12:05 PM »

Could be a seperate issue but without a reply from the OP we're all blind.

novina

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 09:36:04 PM »

I also noticed that some files from that time disappear and appear in random order or by whole folders. Anyway if visible then still not able to read.
What you mean by OP? I am only home grown computer "expert". :)

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 10:39:17 AM »

What you mean by OP? I am only home grown computer "expert". :)

OP = Original Poster

He's the guy who's thread you hijacked. ;)
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 04:20:13 PM »

I can't help but think this is an error between the chair and keyboard... :)

Wyrdmya

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2010, 09:51:25 AM »

Are you saying they appear duplicated in the same folder, with the exact same filename i.e. 0.jpg and 0.jpg? Are you also saying that the same issue is happening when using FTP?

Do you have similar issues copying other, multiple files to other destinations on the NAS?

Do you have access to another computer where you could try copying files?

Have you checked your hard drives with the scandisk function of the web UI?

Yes, same file names but only one of the "files" was the real thing. FTP at first seemed better, but on look via windows explorer, files again appear to be duplicated. Files originally copied before April 2009 are all there and happy, files since - hit and miss whether they got copied and ghostly duplicated.

Both discs scandisked fine....

Now, I have just upgraded firmware from 1.0?, original version, to 1.08. I tried to reformat drives but only one successfully formatted (both are seagate 750GB). Then, vista kept wanting to install device drivers but couldn't find (not even the goodies I downloaded from dlink website) - do not recall installing device drivers before.... I was able to copy some stuff onto volume 1, but ran into problems - it couldn't access the odd file here and there from the pc I was copying stuff from. Then, I have a pink light on the "re-formatted" drive (standard, ext3). The other disk, volume 2, had error code 1 and more recently, error code 2 on reformatting. It also wouldn't allow scandisk to work on it.
Currently starting again - attempting raid 1, ext3....
(vista wired to router, wired to nas. hadn't thought of trying to access from the other wirelessly connected pc, not running vista, to access nas..... )

Delay in replying - slowly copying properly copied files from nas to other media.

edit to include current status - both volumes successfully formatted. Didn't enable auto-build...

Found the picture I made via the "snipping tool". Reason for the last file to be small - attempted a night/dark shot but it didn't come out!!!

2nd edit - Volume 2 successfully scandisked. However, I thought I selected RAID 1, but it appears the two disks are just formatted to standard, rather than RAID 1.
Vista still complains about device drivers even though, "INTERNET CAMERAS, STORAGE ENCLOSURES, PRINT SERVERS, MEDIA PLAYERS and POWERLINE PRODUCTS
These are all network elements that do not require to be installed on a particular computer. They are all O/S independent." from the dlink site. Any ideas how to shut vista up...
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 11:06:20 AM by Wyrdmya »