• March 28, 2024, 08:40:19 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Dropped packet ... (IP protocol 17) as unable to create new session  (Read 19422 times)

momcat1

• Level 2 Member

OK, this was weird. I was working in my local address book, not even accessing anything online, when all of a sudden, my hardline connection died. I switched over to wireless and it works fine. I checked the router logs and found a succession of entries like 'Dropped packet from xxxxto xxxxx (IP protocol 17) as unable to create new session. The router did not reboot, nor did I lose my modem connection. At the time this happened, only one of my computers was on, so activity from another device was not possible.

I respect that dropped packets can happen, but I never lost my hardline connection only because of it, with any of my previous routers. Fortunately, the machine I was using this time was my laptop, and so therefore it had a wifi to use. My desktops do not.

Reconnected to hardline, and it works again, like nothing happened. All of my connections have reserved leases, so it's not like one of them had to be renewed.

Never mind, I checked the modem logs, and it had automagically rebooted, for no explainable reason. Funny thing was, I could not use the hardline connect for a couple of minutes, but the wireless picked up first. Strange.

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
Re: Dropped packet ... (IP protocol 17) as unable to create new session
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 01:14:29 PM »

Any outside activity?
DIR-655 H/W: A2 FW: 1.33

momcat1

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 01:38:36 PM »

None at all.

Clancy

• Level 3 Member
  • I am not a number. I am a free man!
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 04:30:57 AM »

I'd like to revive this thread if anyone is interested in chiming in. Hands?

My log fills up pretty fast with these messages: Dropped packet from 169.254.1.148 to 169.254.1.255 (IP protocol 17) as unable to create new session.

I'm pretty sure they are coming from my cable set top boxes. I have 4 and there are always a group of 4 messages. Each with a unique, but always the same "from" addess and the destination is the same. They don't seem to affect anything but I would like to know why they are being generated and if there is anything I can do to stop them. Internet and cable are provided by Verizon FiOS and I "think" the set top boxes are trying to call home to momma.  ???
Thread derailment: So easy a caveman can do it.

Demonized

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 06:38:40 AM »

I get the same message (but different protocol) when two clients on my LAN are configured to do IPv6 through a tunnel and only one of them can really use the tunnel. But this is just an ordinary UDP connection.

Do the messages disappear when you turn off ALG?

lizzi555

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 10:25:16 AM »

As 169.254.x.x is th APIPA address space, is it possible that these boxes are UPNP enabled ?
There might be a so called Auto IP function which will force the device to attempt to receive a second IP for UPNP.
If you assigned static addresses, the router won't release a second one to the same MAC.
This will lead to the APIPA addresses the devices assign themselves.

As they are not in the propper LAN subnet, the router will drop these connection attempts.

Just my first thought as I had similar experiences with my printers.

Clancy

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 09:10:51 PM »

I get the same message (but different protocol) when two clients on my LAN are configured to do IPv6 through a tunnel and only one of them can really use the tunnel. But this is just an ordinary UDP connection.

Do the messages disappear when you turn off ALG?

Demonized, you have me here. I don't even know if I have clients configured on my LAN. I do have the WindowsXP IPv6 TCP/IP loading along with the "regular" TCP/IP. ALG was an acronym I was not familiar with so had I to go and look it up. sheesh. I looked at my ALG service and saw that it was not running so I immediately started it and saw that there was no change. Then I re-read your post and noticed that you said "OFF". So, it looks like having ALG On or Off makes no difference.

Lizzi, thank you for your input. I do not know if the boxes are UPnP enabled or not. I did have IP addresses assigned to each of them so I unassigned them, checked the logs and the messages are still coming in. Every minute or so. Tons of them. Millions of them. BILLIONS of tons of them. A GAZILLIO..... never mind. After I unassigned the addresses I noticed that one of them had lost the name I assigned to it so I now had a device connected that only displayed an IP address. I compared the MAC address to my list of allowed devices, saw that was a cable box, removed that MAC address from the Allowed list and now I get a Log message that says: Access denied to LAN system with MAC address 0019A662ABCC. This is the MAC address I removed so it confirmed that these messages are being created by my Set Top Boxes.

Verizon is now pushing a new "Feature" that will allow you to program your DVR through the Internet. I have yet to allow Verizon to add me to their list. I wonder if all of these constant attempts to call home are a product of this new service they're offering. I will be replacing a defective STB soon and after I do and I see that they are all playing nice and the home service can see them and run it's little diagnostic, I'll probably bite the bullet and let them add this service to my DVR's. Once that is done, I'll see if I still get these status messages. In the mean time, if anyone else, or you Demonized, or you, Lizzi, have any other ideas I'm all thumbs, er, I mean ears.

Hypno

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 02:33:41 PM »

Hi,

I have a similar problem. The funny thing is, it just happend for no reason after the router has been running without any problems/errors for months now. It's only one of my computers that give the error and it cannot connect to the network. This laptop is working fine. The only difference i can see between this computer and the other is that this is is running mode 802.11g and the other 802.11n. My PS3 also connects to the network without any problems.

From the router log:

Dropped packet from 169.254.127.97 to 169.254.255.255 (IP protocol 17) as unable to create new session

I have googled and searched the net for hours now reading different topics without solving this :(

I have:

Restarted the computer a few times.
The router a few times.
Hardcoded the ipv4 adress to a one within range. (169.254.127.97 isn't)
Uninstalled/installed the network card drivers..
Messed around with most settings on the router that might have anything to do with this.
DHCP reservations
WPA/WPA2settings...
Been at it for hours.

When i hardcode the IPv4 adress to 192.168.0.3 within range, i get access to the network but i don't get access to internet. The router sees the ip adress as 0.0.0.0 when i do this.

HELP!

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 02:37:32 PM »

If your PC has an address starting with 169.254.x.x then you have failed to pull DHCP and have reverted to an APIPA address.  Try changing your DHCP lease time.  I would just put my machines on static IPs though as that would fix the issue for real.

If you want to fix it without rebooting try repairing the connection or running the command "ipconfig /renew"
non progredi est regredi

Clancy

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 08:09:37 PM »

Is Verizon your ISP and cable TV provider?

Cartel

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2015, 02:12:15 PM »

I notice I get these logs if I create a port filter.
I wanted to filter port 1900 on all IP's and it I use windows to ping a host, say google, it generates the logs (IP protocol 1) as unable to create new session and unable to connect 0.0.0.0:1 and repeats upwards 0.0.0.0:2 etc.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2015, 03:01:02 PM »

What HW version and FW version do you have?

I notice I get these logs if I create a port filter.
I wanted to filter port 1900 on all IP's and it I use windows to ping a host, say google, it generates the logs (IP protocol 1) as unable to create new session and unable to connect 0.0.0.0:1 and repeats upwards 0.0.0.0:2 etc.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

Cartel

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2015, 07:36:34 PM »

Firmware Version: 1.37NA
Hardware Version: A4

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2015, 07:20:18 AM »

Ensure the configuration is set up correctly?

What Mfr and model is the ISP modem?
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.