• April 19, 2024, 02:36:03 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: How to Connect 2 Window xp's desktop to D-Link Dir-655 to the Modem DSL?  (Read 7567 times)

Snowhoney

• Level 1 Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello D-Link Forums,

I guess as long as I have a computer there will usually be issues. My issue is this:
I have 2 desktop Winxp, one of them is already hooked to a D-Link router, DIR-655 which in turns is linked to the Modem DSL for internet access.

I am trying to link the 2nd computer to the D-Link Router to be able to access the internet.

I attached the Ethernet cable to port2 on the D-link then ran it to the 2nd computer. Turned off the modem and unplugged the D-link, waited, turned the Modem back on, waited for a steady blinking green light (which it did) then I turned the D-link Router back on. Tried to access the internet on the 2nd Winxp, but no go!

So, I took the 2nd Winxp Processor and plugged in all the cables from the 1st PC, with one exception, I plugged the Ethernet directly from the modem to the Processor, and "BAM", no problem with internet connection.

So, at least I know there's no problem with the 2nd Winxp, as far as being able to access the internet, since the Modem supplies a IP address automatically.

My problem is, what am I doing wrong? How do I connect 2 Winxp's to a D-Link connected to a Modem DSL? Am I missing a step or procedure? Obviously I am, because I can't seem to get the 2nd PC once plugged into the 2nd Port on the D-Link.

Please Help!!

Snowhoney

lotacus

• Level 4 Member
Re: How to Connect 2 Window xp's desktop to D-Link Dir-655 to the Modem DSL?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 10:05:52 AM »

go through the internet setup wizard. in your browswer with a computer connected to the router, type in 192.168.0.1 hit enter.

If you have newer firmware, enter the CAPTCHA code and log in. No password required. Go to setup>internet setup wizard and follow that wizard.

test the internet with the computer after it's done. If you have internet, then plug in the other computer and test. When the second computer is plugged in, on the first computer, to back into the router and go to status and scroll all the way down to the bottom to where it says LAN Computers and see if both computers are listed and have an ip address. If they do then there may be an issue with your second computer and it's configuration. I noticed that alot of firewalls will restrict traffic to a certain network typology. if that changes, sometimes the firewall doesn't automatically update it's settings, detects the new network and denies access. That may or may not be the case.

bigeyes0x0

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 10:31:49 AM »

Or the OP might have enabled Network Filter on this router.

Snowhoney

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 11:27:30 AM »

Thank you for the help.  I'm at work at the moment, but I will try what you suggested, by going to the d-link log in, and do a set up.

Snowhoney

Snowhoney

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 12:26:13 PM »

I did take the Ethernet cable from the Modem and hooked it directly to the computer that needs to be linked with the other Computer, and it booted up just fine in connecting with the internet.  But it was not able to link up to the D-link 192.168.0.1. 

What I did was went to "Run">cmd>ipconfig to show the results, with the Ethernet cable attached to the Modem and when it was attached to the router open port #3.

Here's the results of the Ip Config:

This below is when I connected the Ethernet cable to the Modem

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\default>IPCONFIG
'IPCONFIG' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Documents and Settings\default>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\IPCONFIG

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : myhome.westell.com
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.46
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

C:\Documents and Settings\default>

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This below is when I connected the Ethernet Cable to port #3 on the router

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\default>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\IPCONFIG

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.180.233
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

C:\Documents and Settings\default>

I know in order to connect to the internet i need a beginning number to beging with 192, but as you see above when the Ethernet cable is plugged into the Dir-655 D-link router there is no internet connection or is the ip address starting with a 192. . .  number.

I hope this information helps!

~Snowhoney~

davevt31

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 05:00:30 PM »

The 169 address means its not getting a dhcp one from the router, make sure the dhcp server is running on the router. You can manually put in a static IP address for you netwrok connection so that you can get into the router and check the settings.

The static IP would be in the 192.168.0.X scheme, subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and default gateway of 192.168.0.1
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 05:02:11 PM by davevt31 »

DirtyDawg

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 03:52:29 AM »

Well, since you're plugging it straight into the router you shouldn't have to do this, but I would do it anyway.  Restart your computer.  That may help, depending on what OS you have, it may be necessary prior to you being able to connect with other computers on your LAN.    I have often had to go back to networking basics to get my LAN operating normally.  If it was me, and I received that network address starting with 169, I would restart all three, Router, Modem, and computer.
DIR-655-Hardware A4-Firmware 1.21