• April 27, 2024, 11:19:05 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: When are we getting new firmware?  (Read 45624 times)

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
Re: When are we getting new firmware?
« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2009, 11:17:34 AM »

Newsflash: Since the ratification of the N specs all draft N models have been declared N certified. So no new firmware especially for getting the N certified label  ;)
DIR-655 H/W: A2 FW: 1.33

Krusher

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #61 on: December 20, 2009, 05:03:31 PM »

H/W A3 w. 1.32 NA.

No problems with 1.21 f/w. Huge problems w. 1.32NA. I am checking this site everyday now for a f/w upgrade. I ditto the comment about updates!

I hate to post a "me too" comment for my first post, but this might help someone else or maybe D-Link tech support.  I had firmware issues above under A3 and it still exists under A4.  I was on the line with tech support for quite some time because I'd have to keep rebooting my router every 1-2 weeks and was convinced that it was simply an A3 router with bad memory.  After finally convincing the upper level tech support that there's no setting that can prevent me from logging into the config page on three separate devices (wired, wireless, firewall on/off) while my LAN works great, they sent me an A4 router with 1.31NA.

Thinking that the problem was fixed, I upgraded to 1.32NA right away and the mysterious "out to lunch" issue came back.  No internet, no config page.  I downgraded to 1.31NA, and 10 days later the same thing.  I did the "big research project" here and found the same issues are in fact very common; so I'm using the latest beta now.  We shall see.

I hope D-Link fixes this; it was a great product with 1.21 and I've recommended D-Link to so many others.  I used to run a Linux server instead of a router a few years ago when I swapped it out for a DGL-4100 that finally died after 3 years.  I'm tempted to go back to the Linux machine now...it sucks more power but was far less buggy.  :D

Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 05:12:36 PM by Krusher »

KnightRid

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #62 on: December 28, 2009, 05:27:19 AM »

I also was stupid enough to upgrade the firmware!  I LOVED my DIR-655 till this 1.32NA crap!  I keep getting wired and wireless disconnects that makes me reboot the router to solve. 

Why cant we downgrade to 1.21 again?  I just dont get that.  You cant physically change anything in the router, so we should be able to clear the EEprom and restart with 1.21 ?  I had some disconnect issues with that one, especially when using a PS3 and trying to connect with laptops at the same time, but nothing remotely as horrid as the 1.32NA has given me.

I actually called some of the people I recommended this too and made sure they did not upgrade the firmware no matter what problems they are having!  Would be too much tech support on my end!

Mike

DAE51D

• Level 2 Member
    • daevid
« Reply #63 on: December 28, 2009, 01:18:32 PM »

I LOVED my DIR-655 till this 1.32NA $h!t  I keep getting wired and wireless disconnects that makes me reboot the router to solve. 

Why cant we downgrade to 1.21 again?  I just dont get that.  You cant physically change anything in the router, so we should be able to clear the EEprom and restart with 1.21 ?
Amen. I don't get the downgrade either.

I tried to go buy a new one with 1.21 and was going to return my 1.32 one (which is still in mint condition aside from the lame-a$$ firmware) -- a little "swap-a-roo" if you will, but the damn employee checked the serial numbers on the box and the DIR-655 and saw they didn't match. UGH. I would have gotten away with it too if it weren't for those meddling kids!
There are only 11 types of people in this world. Those that think binary jokes are funny, those that don't, and those that don't know binary.

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #64 on: December 28, 2009, 01:22:01 PM »

I also was stupid enough to upgrade the firmware!  I LOVED my DIR-655 till this 1.32NA ****!  I keep getting wired and wireless disconnects that makes me reboot the router to solve. 

Why cant we downgrade to 1.21 again?  I just dont get that.  You cant physically change anything in the router, so we should be able to clear the EEprom and restart with 1.21 ?  I had some disconnect issues with that one, especially when using a PS3 and trying to connect with laptops at the same time, but nothing remotely as horrid as the 1.32NA has given me.

I actually called some of the people I recommended this too and made sure they did not upgrade the firmware no matter what problems they are having!  Would be too much tech support on my end!

Mike

Can we expect an experimental report soon from you, trying to erase the chip? There are ways to do it you know. Though I would be curious how you get the kernel in again.  ;)

alphanumeric

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #65 on: December 28, 2009, 02:28:45 PM »

Changes are made by firmware 1.3x during the flash process that are NOT undone by firmware 1.2x. 1.2x was not written with 1.3x in mind so you can't go back. If you managed to actually flash to 1.2x after going to 1.3x you would end up with a bricked router, thus D-Link has blocked you from doing it. If you are determined I suppose you could find a way to do it, brick your router that is. D-Link would have to re-write 1.2x so you could go back. Or write new code to fix the problems with 1.32na. They don't seem to be inclined to do either so you'll just have to live with a router that isn't a router anymore.

Jay13

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2010, 04:47:38 PM »

I also was stupid enough to upgrade the firmware!  I LOVED my DIR-655 till this 1.32NA ****!  I keep getting wired and wireless disconnects that makes me reboot the router to solve. 

Mike

What he said.  Funny, I used to tout my 655 to other people and strongly recommend it.  Like an idiot, I upgraded for 1.32NA with no real problems needing fixing.  It's my own fault, but I hold D-Link responsible too for releases that are buggy and MORE IMPORTANTLY for not leaving a backward migration path.  I will never buy another D-Link product again.

Cobra

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2010, 05:36:34 PM »

Have any of you tried the beta that was after 132NA?

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2010, 08:16:31 PM »

Be patient. New firmware will be out soon I think.

Murr2k

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #69 on: January 14, 2010, 09:05:15 PM »

Why cant we downgrade to 1.21 again?  I just dont get that.  You cant physically change anything in the router, so we should be able to clear the EEprom and restart with 1.21 ?

Many have asked "Why can't we downgrade?" A downgrade is not impossible, it just requires more effort on the part of the engineering staff to figure out. The explanation is a bit technical, but here it is for anyone who cares.

The router's flash memory is divided into two arbitrarily sized logical regions. The first, smaller of the two regions is called the boot block. The second region is called the application block. The arbitrary partition between these two regions is decided on when the firmware is designed and compiled.

The boot block contains the code that the router begins executing when it wakes up from a power-on reset. The microprocessor in the router is obligated by hardware to always begin execution at the beginning of the boot block no matter what. The boot block code is responsible for performing several start-up tasks before eventually jumping to the hard-coded address of the application block which begins at the end of the boot block.

The application block performs most of the functions of the router, and is designed to be replaced by new application code during an upgrade. The boot block code handles the upgrading process and is designed to never be overwritten or upgraded itself. This protects the router from bricking in case power is lost during an upgrade. The boot block is always there and always checks to see if a valid application block is present before jumping to it. Thus the boot block can always recover from a botched upgrade.

So now, why can't we downgrade? Well, we could, but a kink was introduced in the upgrade from 1.2 to 1.3. It seems the application grew so large that there was no room to fit the next upgrade into the space partitioned to the application block up to this time. What to do?  They went ahead and squeezed the boot block down to make room for a larger application block. This requires re-writing the boot block to point to the new partition address where the new application block starts.

So what happens when you try to downgrade from 1.3 to 1.2? The 1.2 code gets loaded into a lower starting address than it was designed to run at, and it wont execute there when the boot block eventually jumps to it. None of the pre-1.3 upgrades are designed to re-flash the boot block back to the way it was, so you can't go back just like that. The boot/application partition has been moved.

So is it impossible to go back to 1.2? No it isn't, but "D-Link" would have to release a down-grader that would include restoring the boot block to the way it was.

Why won't they do this? Well it's very risky. Perhaps nearly as risky as it was to release 1.3 that rewrote the boot block. If they release a new boot block re-writer to downgrade, they risk a new truckload of bricked router complaints that they probably suffered with the 1.3 upgrade. Or maybe, they think that the fix to the 1.32 application code is just around the corner, just around the corner, just around the corner..... and why go through the trouble of making and testing a downgrading re-flasher?

They are probably gun-shy about releasing a fix for 1.32 until they know it's "right". Or maybe the space they gained by expanding the application block for 1.3 is already used up and they are trying to bum a few more bytes of space out of it. Or maybe the only guy that really knew the system well was canned and there's no time for someone new to figure out what to do. Or maybe the upgrade has reformatted the eeprom and going back means having to save and reload parameters and it's too complicated for some engineer to figure out in one sitting. Or maybe their engineering resources are just too strained with new products and the 655 is really taking a back seat. Who knows.

Downgrading to 1.2 is possible, it's just problematic.  /shrug

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #70 on: January 14, 2010, 10:53:58 PM »

And too risky for Joe Average (or, with more respect: the average home user).
There is always a way in computing/software. Question is: if such a tool were released, how many bricked routers does Dlink have to take in. Does kinda ruin your business model.

DAE51D

• Level 2 Member
    • daevid
« Reply #71 on: January 15, 2010, 01:00:32 PM »

Be patient. New firmware will be out soon I think.
I think we've been nothing BUT patient. This s***ty firmware came out on 7/20/2009, it's now 5 days shy of SIX MONTHS...
There are only 11 types of people in this world. Those that think binary jokes are funny, those that don't, and those that don't know binary.

Cobra

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #72 on: January 15, 2010, 01:10:20 PM »

I think we've been nothing BUT patient. This ****ty firmware came out on 7/20/2009, it's now 5 days shy of SIX MONTHS...

Actually the last beta firmware was released in November.

lotacus

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #73 on: January 15, 2010, 01:14:13 PM »

they are waiting for everyone to get tired and fed up to the point where they can the router and purchase another one. *sigh* I did and it happened to be the 825. Should have saved my money from both routers, since I paid premium for both. could have had a half decent enterprise AP or switch.

DAE51D

• Level 2 Member
    • daevid
« Reply #74 on: January 15, 2010, 01:56:54 PM »

Actually the last beta firmware was released in November.
Given the problems I have with the OFFICIAL firmware, I think I'll stay away from some beta code that specifically says, on the page: http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=9246.0

"The following beta firmware is provided on a trial basis only and without any kind of warranty. It is heavily advised not to use this beta firmware for any critical purpose.
 By downloading the beta firmware file, you expressly agree that the use of the firmware is at your own risk and discretion.
It is not supported through the normal support channels. All questions, comments and issues should be directed to this board."

riiiiiiight. I'll get right on that.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6