• April 24, 2024, 09:03:40 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: DIR-655 Access Control Err "Name can not be an empty string"  (Read 48278 times)

blainem

• Level 1 Member
DIR-655 Access Control Err "Name can not be an empty string"
« on: February 26, 2008, 01:00:47 PM »

When attempting to configure access controls from the advanced menu I enable the access control checkbox. I then follow the configuration wizard completing each step as directed by the wizard. When I complete the wizard and try to save the rule I get the following error message regardless of how I complete the wizard. "Name can not be empty string". Yes, cannot is misspelled in the message. I have tried every combination of choices in the wizard and many combinations of naming the rule to no avail. I contacted support and they offered an RMA but it’s probably out of warranty and I’m not convinced a new unit would fix the problem.

This did work properly on a previous firmware version, probably 1.04 or 1.05. I have not tried back loading to the previous versions to see where it did or did not work. I don’t know how well the router goes back and don’t really care to reload all the settings again by hand if the automatic recovery doesn’t work.

I want to use this feature to control what hours certain machines on the network have access to the internet.

Has anyone experienced this before, or have any advice?

Screen print attached.

Thanks,

Blaine

Dlink DIR-655
Hardware Version A1
Firmware 1.11

Connected:
2 Windows XP machines pro on custom hardware wired Ethernet
Denon receiver with media player wired Ethernet
Dell laptop via 802.11g
3MB Charter broadband
Ambit modem

blainem

• Level 1 Member
Re: DIR-655 Access Control Err "Name can not be an empty string"
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 04:35:12 PM »

It looks like I'm not alone in having this issue.  This is my thread on another forum.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r20007323-Help-Me-DIR655-Access-Control-Err-Name-can-not-be-an-empty-s

Cheers

xnihilo

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 12:02:27 AM »

Hello,
I have recently upgraded my firmware from 1.03 to 1.11, and started receiving same problem.
I have posted on the other forum as well, but posting here as well, as this is the official one.

I have since tried rolling back to 1.03, and the problem goes away. Then I upgrade to, I think 1.04, or whatever the next one was. The problem didn't appear. Then I closed my browser and opened it again, and the problem was there.
Rolled back to 1.03, no problem, even when closing/reopening browser. Tried going to 1.11 directly from 1.03, and no problem. That is, until I closed the browser and opened the page again. The problem started appearing.

Can somebody from D-Link confirm this issue, and possibly point to a solution or when a fix will be released?
Thanks.

P.S. I've read somewhere else that the European version 1.11 does not have this problem, but upgrading to it would void the warranty. Just cant remember the link..

pmcneil

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 04:41:41 PM »

I have the same exact problem. (and it stayed even downgrading to 1.10)  It’s taken a week and a half to move up the ladder to 3rd level support within Dlink, then on to the product team. 3rd level support supervisor and product manager were on the phone with me and say they do not have this issue. I have since sent them the two forum links. They advise me to reset the router even after a firmware upgrade (claiming that some info is still retained even after a firmware upgrade) I have yet to do this and get back to them with feedback. In the mean time I am sharing till I have a chance to kick my family off so I can test the recommendation.
They feel confident they can resolve. (BTW- I had to go thru 3 third level techs before I got one engaged enough to run over to the product design them right there and get a conference call going)

blainem

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 05:07:43 PM »

Thanks for posting the update.  Please post the results of your tests here when you have time.   I have tried the factory reset before and after firmware updates, but it has not resolved the issue for me, besides being extremely time consuming reseting all router settings manually each time.

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 05:33:14 PM »

The issue was determined to be isolated to that specific unit. After a replacement was approved the out going unit was tested for this functionality and passed with flying colors.
If you continue to have this issue please contact technical support and request to be forwarded to Level 3 support.
Once there, explain the issue and the agent will request remote management of your router.
If we confirm that the unit is indeed throwing that error, a replacement should be forthcoming.

Sammydad1

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 09:18:05 PM »

Hi,

Did they say if this error is related to the other variations we have seen ??

Like not being able to create schedules and such

SD1
DIR-655 A2, FW: 1.35NA

Smeden2

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 05:20:19 AM »

Having the same problem, I think I might have a workaround.
After reloading a working configuration, I make my changes and after that I, instead of doing more things before rebooting, I do reboot.
After reboot I can make other changes and I don´t get any error messges.
But starting from a working is however a must.  :-[

Sammydad1

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 10:52:36 AM »

Hi,

I just opened a new thread about FW updates and Browser "interference"... I am wondering if anybody with the error in this thread can verify their browser and post in the new thread....

Thanks...

Sammydad1

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 11:16:28 AM »

I'll look in to this and try to replicate in the lab.

pmcneil

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 04:44:26 PM »

The issue was determined to be isolated to that specific unit. After a replacement was approved the out going unit was tested for this functionality and passed with flying colors.

Yes, I'm the one who has the replacement on its way out to me to see if I can now use access controls. Tech support seems anxious to get my old one to test in their lab. They seems surprised  that it did not work for them. (and it seems like that took a whole week of convincing)
So, I will post when I get , re set it up, and see if all is better.

Smeden2

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2008, 11:39:33 AM »

Now I have the problem that I cannot even resore a configuration.

This is what i get: "Restore Failed

The device may be too busy to properly receive it right now. Please try the restore again. It is also possible that you are logged in as a 'user' instead of an 'admin' - only administrators can restore the configuration file. Please check the system log for any errors.

Please press the button below to continue configuring the router.

Has anyone had the same problem, and in that case, how did you fix it ?

???  ???  ???

Sammydad1

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2008, 11:48:01 AM »

Hi,

Yes..I had that problem...only "fix" as far as I could see, was not really a "fix" at all.... you have to press and hold the router reset button to put back to default settings.... then re-enter everything you need by hand...and it still may not work as expected.

I am using the Beta firmware now and after using the reset button, it finally let me fully re-enter my settings and then add new items to access controls and such....  The error seems to be all related to the v1.11 firmware not fully clearing the rom when you press the reset button..but I could be wrong.

There are enuff people now with this very same error to confirm it as an issue to me...at least.

SD1

Smeden2

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2008, 11:56:43 AM »

That´s good to hear. Or not.
At least I´m not alone with this problem.

Hopefully we have someone from D-Link Support in here that can forward this issue to have something done about it. Hopefully also forwarded to EU-support for them to resolve.

Has anyone tried to downgrade fw to say 1.03 and tried to restore from there?
Obviously it has to do with 1.11 so I hope that something is done rapidly to get this problem resolved.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 02:04:24 PM by Smeden2 »

blainem

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2008, 03:00:27 PM »

D-Link support has said they will RMA my DIR-655, but I'm still waiting to hear back from the RMA team if my router is still covered under warranty or not.  Sent in proof of purchase via email yesterday. If not I guess I am out of options.  I still have to believe this is a firmware issue though.  I have an early version of the hardware (A1 with green LEDs.)  What does everyone else have? 

I have not gone back as far as 1.03, got tired of having to reconfigure everything each time.  As far back as 1.05 I still had the same problem.

Cheers
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6