• April 19, 2024, 08:55:40 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: FW 1.06 Blocker: Data wipe out when adding 2nd drive  (Read 9667 times)

7oby

• Level 1 Member
FW 1.06 Blocker: Data wipe out when adding 2nd drive
« on: December 17, 2008, 09:39:44 AM »

The following procedure wipes your data at least with FW 1.03 and 1.05:

. install harddrive A in right bay (seen from in front of device)
. store data on harddrive A
. shutdown device and add harddrive B in left bay
. log into webinterface and recognize message: "Your new second drive will now be formatted. The existing hard drive will not lose any data." The vendor/model/serial no/size is presented of harddrive B
. click "next" to confirm that step
. harddrive A (!!!) containing your data will be formatted.

This is a prove of the screen that's going to be displayed:

The new harddrive was the one presented in this dialog. The one that was going to be formatted was a different one namely WD10EACS.

I didn't screw up or mixed anything. DNS-323 did.

The bug has been around a long time:
http://forum.dsmg600.info/t885-OMFG%2C-Lost-data!-D-link-terrible!.html
http://forum.dsmg600.info/t3113-Arghhh.-Drive-wiped.html

Although I read a lot of wikis, forums, documentation, FAQs etc. This bug was not documented. I just added it to the know issue list ("Adding an extra disc can wipe data on existing drive!"):
http://wiki.dns323.info/information:known_issues
Please note that the already documented bug "Adding an extra disc can wipe both!" is related, but different. And please also address this one as well!

Please hold back FW 1.06 until you resolve those ugly bugs! And I really wonder how any of the previous firmwares got past quality control.

If I'd known this bug, I'd easily walked around that problem by formatting the drive without having the other one inserted. But since the GUI promised "The existing hard drive will not lose any data" ... Thank's D-Link!

One question regarding this FAQ entry:
http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.asp?prod_id=2531&question=DNS-323
Shouldn't its last sentence be: "Volume 2 is always on the right and Volume 1 is always on the left." Since this is the behavior people observe and not what's printed in the FAQ. First posting here:
http://forum.dsmg600.info/t885-OMFG%2C-Lost-data!-D-link-terrible!.html

hilaireg

• Level 3 Member
Re: FW 1.06 Blocker: Data wipe out when adding 2nd drive
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 12:09:45 PM »

Yup,

Experienced the same anomally in f/w 1.05 a few months back ...

... and experienced the same anomally with f/w 1.02 on the DNS-343 when recovering a failed RAID5 member.

A few other forum seniors have done some extensive recovery tests and discovered additional anomalies; I'm certain you probably reviewed those posts as well.

Cheers,

JerryatDLink

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 02:08:32 PM »

A bit strange here. I am using fw1.05, did almost exactly same thing you did. The only difference is: the second drive is same as the first one: WD1001FALS.

And I am running fine for over a week now.

keiron

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 10:25:57 PM »

Interestingly enough, if you highlight the text (including the table header and the checkbox about RAID), then paste it into notepad, it actually displayes BOTH hard drives, whereas visually you can only see the one hard drive.... the first row of the table is hidden

Now I don't know enough about javascript coding, so couldn't fully understand all the script, but perhaps this is what is causing the incorrect hard drive to be formatted??

PeterF

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 04:19:17 AM »

I am running 1.05 and I thought the same thing happened to me.  I put my second 1.5TB drive in the left slot and formatted it in standard mode.  This normally would set it to Volume_2.  When the format completed and I restarted the Web Interface and went to Status.  Much to my surprise, I only saw Volume_1 with no data on it.   I really thought I had lost all my data on Volume_1.  I REBOOTED the DNS-323 and when it came up, I saw Volumes 1 & 2 with all my original data on Volume_1 intact.  So from my perspective the bug is in the interface after a standard drive format.  A reboot clears everything and you're good to go.   

iampedro

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 06:44:52 AM »

Please hold back FW 1.06 until you resolve those ugly bugs! And I really wonder how any of the previous firmwares got past quality control.

I agree D-Link...

7oby

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 11:33:52 AM »

I REBOOTED the DNS-323 and when it came up, I saw Volumes 1 & 2 with all my original data on Volume_1 intact.
Your's is different from what I observed, but I can't tell whether you did something different or whether the outcome is really non deterministic even when performing the same steps.

The reboot didn't help in my case. After the reboot it came up and wanted to format the drive again. I skipped this one and ended up with just one drive. The one that formerly contained data and was now empty. The reason why I skipped the format message after the reboot is that this is a known and documented bug see Adding an extra disc can wipe both! in the link which I provided.

Also naming is different for me than for you in a two drive configuration:
/dev/sda2 = /mnt/HD_a2 = Volume_2 = right bay
/dev/sdb2 = /mnt/HD_b2 = Volume_1 = left bay

kenyloveg

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 03:04:43 AM »

Well, obviously it is a stupid and serious issue which could not happen on a brand like DLink.
Here is my exp:
http://forum.dsmg600.info/t3057-Urgent!!!Data-recovery-after-formatted-disk.html
And another one's:
http://forum.dsmg600.info/t3462-dns-323-formatted-wrong-drive-ext2-gurus-help-wanted....html

Come on, Dlink should find and fix this problem even in alpha build of 1.00 firmware.
What else we can say? Any user (add new hdd) will experiece this kind of scenario and screw his important (or not big deal to Dlink) without any caution.

Execuse for my bad english, but i've been through this and you know how i hate DL*NK

chienpourri

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 06:12:01 AM »

Hummm....  one thing strikes me however.  In the manual/quick start, I clearly remember that something along those lines was written:

"When using a single drive, always put it in the left bay".  However you guys say that you put the first drive in the RIGHT bay...  and then days/weeks later filled the left bay.  This might explain why it doesn't work?

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 08:17:58 AM »

Hummm....  one thing strikes me however.  In the manual/quick start, I clearly remember that something along those lines was written:

"When using a single drive, always put it in the left bay".  However you guys say that you put the first drive in the RIGHT bay...  and then days/weeks later filled the left bay.  This might explain why it doesn't work?

No offense meant, but, maybe you'd like to pull out your manuals and refresh your memory - and feel free to tell me which page I should look at - and I have both versions of the manual AND the quick start guide.

If you place a single disk in the right bay and format it, it will be Volume_1, if you add the second disk to the right bay at a later date, when you format that it becomes Volume_1 and the original disk Volume_2, resulting in users unable to find their files so much so that D-Link published this FAQ

Why canīt I see my files, on the first drive, after adding a second drive?

If you start with one drive, and it is in the left bay, it will be Volume 1. And when you add the second drive it will become Volume 2 and the right drive will become Volume 1.

At this point, when the user accesses Volume 1, it will appear as if all of the information is gone, but itīs actually on Volume 2.

If you switch the physical position of the first drive to the Right bay, you will be able to access the files.

The reason this happens is:

There are logical volumes and physical volumes.

A physical volume refers to the actual hard drive.
A logical volume refers to a formatted partition.

In Standard mode with one disk , the physical volume is irrelevant and the logical volume is Volume 1 regardless of which bay the drive is in.

In Standard mode with two disks, the physical location of the disks will determine which volume is which drive. Volume 1 is always on the right and Volume 2 is always on the left.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.