• March 28, 2024, 05:02:32 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Failed firmware update DCS-942L  (Read 33685 times)

geor_55

• Level 1 Member
Failed firmware update DCS-942L
« on: January 18, 2012, 06:00:15 PM »

Had just purchased a new DCS942L unit and had it setup fine.  Registered it on the web and the web  stated that it needed a firmware update.  Connected with hard line and started update.  After 5min webapp said device timed out.  When I went to rest camera could no longer get a connection of any kind.
Have tried hardreset and nothing seams to work  just have red light on solid.  Any suggestions besides return for another?

???

whatnexxt

• Level 1 Member
Re: Failed firmware update DCS-942L
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 12:51:55 AM »

I have the same problem.
Are there no options to unbrick the cam?

jtidwell1

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 11:09:56 AM »

Hi, I also have this problem. I have an email in to support but have not heard from them for 3 days.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 07:21:55 AM »

Hi, I also have this problem. I have an email in to support but have not heard from them for 3 days.

Call their toll free technical support rather than relying on email.
Post back after you speak to them to let us know how things turn out.
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

AzlanKassim

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 09:07:40 PM »

Had just purchased a new DCS942L unit and had it setup fine.  Registered it on the web and the web  stated that it needed a firmware update.  Connected with hard line and started update.  After 5min webapp said device timed out.  When I went to rest camera could no longer get a connection of any kind.
Have tried hardreset and nothing seams to work  just have red light on solid.  Any suggestions besides return for another?

???
It looks like I am not the only one having this problem. I did the same thing on my DCS-5222L using an ethernet connection. Hard-resetting is fruitless. Now my DCS-5222L is no longer working. Have not heard anything from D-Link support since I highlighted on this issue 7 days ago.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 04:52:45 AM »

It looks like I am not the only one having this problem. I did the same thing on my DCS-5222L using an ethernet connection. Hard-resetting is fruitless. Now my DCS-5222L is no longer working. Have not heard anything from D-Link support since I highlighted on this issue 7 days ago.

Did you call D-Link's toll free technical support?  From my experience, the phone support is very responsive to in-warranty issues.  What do you mean by "have not heard anything back from D-Link support since I highlighted on this issue..."?  Was this a phone call or email to D-Link?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 04:54:20 AM by JavaLawyer »
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

AzlanKassim

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 08:04:55 AM »

Did you call D-Link's toll free technical support?  From my experience, the phone support is very responsive to in-warranty issues.  What do you mean by "have not heard anything back from D-Link support since I highlighted on this issue..."?  Was this a phone call or email to D-Link?

I haven't called up the toll free number. I have followed up twice through their mail customer service plus leaving my questions on the D-Link's Facebook page. Maybe I should give it a try tomorrow morning. Thanks for the advice.

By the way, do you think I can recover back my camera ? I really don't want to splash any additional cash for a new unit. Sigh  :(

Popovice

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013, 08:34:33 AM »

By the way, do you think I can recover back my camera ? I really don't want to splash any additional cash for a new unit. Sigh  :(

Yes, I think that you can always reflash the firmware no matter how corrupted it is, but the flashing may require some special tools (such as a JTAG adapter) and opening the device cover. So I recommend that you contact D-Link service if you need this kind of assistance.

AzlanKassim

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 08:42:16 PM »

Finally I have decided to send  my camera to the nearest D-Link service centre for repair. Costs me around USD $ 70 and not to mention an additional 1 month to get it fixed. Damn !  >:(

timtosino

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 09:10:31 PM »

Does anyone know how to get out of warranty service from D-Link for a DCS-942L? I had a failed update and since I bought it off eBay D-Link will not honor the warranty. I tried to email back from the RMA authorization rejection email but have no response. Can you tell me how you got out of warranty service?

happyhere

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2013, 08:12:39 PM »

for firmware update, disable the wifi on 942L to make sure that you connection uses the Lan port.

Sometime back, I accidentally flashed 942L via wifi and it was behaving erratically.
Keeping the power plugged on 942L after the 1st flash, I immediately plug the Lan cable, disable the wifi on router and reflash the 942 via the admin console.  The 942 survived and worked well.

timtosino

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 11:34:48 AM »

I contacted D-Link Customer Service in Canada and they told me they don't accept out of warranty repairs even if you pay for them. Guess I have a camera worth $100+ no one is willing to fix.

megacybercom

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2013, 08:09:32 AM »

Hello. I'm new in this Forum. DCS-942L, I made the firmware update yesterday after that just red light appear, I spent many hours attempting to fix it and I removed the power to the camera.   Today I recovered the camera doing this.
1) Without electrical power, connect the camera to the router with the ethernet cable
2) Press the reset with a paper clip and keep pressing
3) plug in the power cable to the camera
4) Release the reset until red light start flashing
I hope this can help you. 

timtosino

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2013, 01:40:21 PM »

Hello. I'm new in this Forum. DCS-942L, I made the firmware update yesterday after that just red light appear, I spent many hours attempting to fix it and I removed the power to the camera.   Today I recovered the camera doing this.
1) Without electrical power, connect the camera to the router with the ethernet cable
2) Press the reset with a paper clip and keep pressing
3) plug in the power cable to the camera
4) Release the reset until red light start flashing
I hope this can help you.  

I was able to reset my 942 to Green Light Status with this. Thanks! Stupid Technical Support doesn't even know about this. Still having trouble finding it in the setup utility.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 01:50:16 PM by timtosino »

pogmothon

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2013, 03:16:42 PM »

Anyone managed to fix this problem?  I (foolishly) upgraded the firmware on both of the 942Ls, and neither now works.  I uploaded the firmware via wireless connection, but that seemed to go OK, and then in both cases it did a countdown to reset, but on reaching 0 seconds, nothing further happened.  Now playing with one, I connected it by cable to the router, and can see it on the routher's Attached Devices, which gives me an IP address.  I cannot log on to the camera using this IP, nor can I go through the process of reinstalling the camera using the supplied CD. I've tried the process described above ("hold reset while powering up, and keep until red light starts flashing").  I get a green light on the camera, but nothing further.  Help
Pages: [1] 2