• March 29, 2024, 03:47:10 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Router won't let computer connect?  (Read 16747 times)

B5B4U

• Level 1 Member
Router won't let computer connect?
« on: January 30, 2010, 07:24:04 PM »

So i have the Dir-615 and two laptops. Both laptops have windows 7, one with 32 bit and the other with 64 bit. I have had my network setup for months. The 32 bit laptop and my 360 are on the network; the 360 is on a wired connection. I recently purchased the 64 bit laptop and am having problems getting it to connect to the Internet. If I hard wire it in through the modem it will connect. If I try to connect to an unsecured network in my area, I can connect. But for some reason I'm unable to connect through my router. Weather I try and connect wireless or through a cable on the ports on the back. If I try and run the network connection wizard it won't fix the problem. I've tried to unplug the router, reconnect and nothing works. The weird part is that i can connect to the router, but can't access either the settings for the router or the Internet. The graphic that is shown in the network setup wizard shows my router but then shows an X in between the router and the Internet. I have tried everything that I can think of. Now I'm in dire need of help!!! Thank you to all who respond! If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Jasu

• Level 2 Member
Re: Router won't let computer connect?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 01:47:56 AM »

Are you sure you don't have enabled MAC-filtering? The problems with connecting to secured wireless network could be caused by bad device drivers so I would try to update them.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 03:58:35 AM »

I experienced a similar problem when I first purchased my DIR-615.  I accidentally enabled MAC filtering without adding my wired PC as an authorized client.  I had to manually reset the firmware on the router to reconnect and reconfigure the device again.

It seems that MAC filtering can't be enabled while still permitting all wired devices to connect (unless someone else knows of a setting/workaround).
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

Jasu

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 04:02:21 AM »

It really seems that MAC filtering affects both wireless and wired connections. I don't know a workaround to allow all wired connections.

Anyway, as MAC filtering doesn't really give any security, I don't know any reasons why it should be used. WPA/WPA2 with a strong password is much better solution.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 04:39:03 AM »

It really seems that MAC filtering affects both wireless and wired connections. I don't know a workaround to allow all wired connections.

I really never understood the reasoning (on this router) for globally enabling MAC filtering across both wired and wireless connections.  For residential implementations, there typically won't be any unauthorized users on the hard line.

Anyway, as MAC filtering doesn't really give any security, I don't know any reasons why it should be used. WPA/WPA2 with a strong password is much better solution.

We live in a densely populated apartment building where there's lots of wireless traffic.  The main concern isn't a security breach so much as simply filtering out other wireless devices while allowing visitors to easily enter our network.  For this purpose, I found MAC filtering much easier to implement and manage without the overhead of WPA.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 04:46:45 AM by JavaLawyer »

B5B4U

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 03:35:00 PM »

So for days I try and try... I post this and within 20 seconds of reading the replies. FIXED!!!! ;D Guess I'll be keeping this laptop!! Thanks guys!!!! Much appreciated!!!

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 04:34:22 PM »

Glad we were able to help.

caper_26

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 05:19:04 AM »

So for days I try and try... I post this and within 20 seconds of reading the replies. FIXED!!!! ;D Guess I'll be keeping this laptop!! Thanks guys!!!! Much appreciated!!!

Please share what fixed it exactly.  I read troubleshooting forums a lot with the last post of "fixed it, thanks!" but no details, and if someone else comes across the thread with the same problem, they won't know what you did to correct it.  Appreciate it, cheer! :)

Jasu

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 12:23:19 AM »

The problem was solved by disabling the MAC filtering or by adding the laptop with problems to allowed MAC addresses list.

iFanboy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 02:26:24 AM »

Hi...I seem to be having the same problem. I accidentally activated the MAC filter, but there wen't any computers added so I'm not able to connect to it or disable the MAC filter to fix the problem. Is there any way to fix it???  :'(

Skello

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 08:11:15 AM »

If you locked yourself out of the interface, perform a hard reset. This will reset all your settings and will return the router to the original factory state. Get a pin and put it into the small hole at the back, between the wan port and power (or something like that). Push gently and you should feel a button being pressed. Hold it down for several seconds then release. The router should reboot. Access the interface with the default http://192.168.0.1, user: admin, no password.