• March 28, 2024, 02:12:02 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: World of Warcraft Gaming Application Ports  (Read 18671 times)

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
World of Warcraft Gaming Application Ports
« on: June 14, 2010, 07:44:58 AM »

FYI, Gaming Application Port information. I'm posting here as it was posted in the wrong area:

The ports need updated for the game ("Application") World of Warcraft. The proper ports are now:
TCP: 1119, 3724, 6112-6114, 4000, 6881-6999

UDP: 3724

Source: http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?locale=en_US&articleId=21015
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

Trikein

Re: World of Warcraft Gaming Application Ports
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 11:24:31 PM »

Man thats freaky. I just read that exact page and set up my router for WoW today. FYI though, it worked absoluty fine without doing it manually. From low latency(100-200ms from 1 timezone away) to quick logg in and exit. 4500 has pretty good UpNp. Kudos for the post though

linkbuilder

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 04:05:09 AM »

Can anyone please help me with the ports needed for 'prince of Persia' game. :o

link building software

LookIntoMyEyees

• Level 5 Member
  • Let me lend you a hand & solutions shall follow.
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 07:50:17 AM »

Yes I would assist you in your troubles. First of you will need to login the router than go to Advance> Gaming. Once there, go ahead and name the rule Prince Of Persia. IP Address put the IP of the console or unit you are forwarding. Now you never stated if these ports were for Xbox360, PS3. So the ports for Ps3 version Are, Enter as shown below.
Enable: Check!
Name: Prince Of Persia
IP Address: Your units IP Address
TCP Ports :5223
UDP Ports :5223,3478,3479,3658
Schedule: Always
Inbound Filter:Allow All

Xbox360 Version
Enable: Check!
Name: Prince Of persia
IP Address : Your unit IP Address
TCP Ports :3074
UDP Ports :3074
Schedule: Always
Inbound Filter:Allow All

Hope this Helps.
--
Chris
Did I Help? If So, Say So! ShHHhh!, Just LookIntoMyEyees! No one is perfect, we all make mistakes.

herrjosua

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 10:55:04 AM »

I have a quick question. I have been doing some searches on-line on how to configure my Gamefuel for WOW. I am slightly confused as what I need to enter as most places labels are different than what I am seeing in my own access page and I am seeing different ranges of numbers. Here is what I am seeing:

Local IP Range - I know this would be the IP address that my router assigns out.
Local Port Range - Would the port range be - 1119, 3724, 6112-6114, 4000, 6881-6999, or 3724 to 3724
?
Remote IP Range - What would the Remote IP range be? On the Blizzard site I saw a range of 0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255

Remote Port Range - Would this be the same as the local port range?

Thanks

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 05:34:58 PM »

Try using the Remote Port Range listed in the Gaming and Gamefuel Sticky...See if this works for you.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

Trikein

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 10:09:19 PM »

I believe the 4500 had WoW listed automatically under application in the gaming tab. You still have to add some ports, specailly for Mic, but it should be pretty easy

herrjosua

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 12:42:38 PM »

Try using the Remote Port Range listed in the Gaming and Gamefuel Sticky...See if this works for you.

I have up to 5 different computers running WOW. When I try to create a rule under the Gaming Section under advance it only allows me to create one rule for one computer. How would I set this up for all the computers?

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 01:03:14 PM »

I presume that this one PC is the host of the game and these Pcs are all on the same network?

FYI, Help displays the following:
"This section is used to open multiple ports or a range of ports in your router and redirect data through those ports to a single PC on your network."
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 01:37:00 PM by FurryNutz »

Trikein

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 11:49:55 AM »

I thought it was a easy answer, but after some digging around, your right. This is a toughfy.  I found this post http://forums.devshed.com/networking-help-109/multiple-computers-playing-world-of-warcraft-333793.html which I will repost here since I find it pretty helpful:

Dear TheAaarrrggg:

Your setup is correct, the problem is not on your network segment.

I certified with A+, Linux+ and Network+.

I play WoW also, and I have lag, just as you do, same times of day

My setup is significantly more hardcore, with a dedicated PC running BSD acting as my gateway, and I still lag out at peak times.

Why is your setup correct?:

WoW's client only sends data along a stream that your computer requested to open. When you sign on to their game, your soliciting their server(s) to initiate a connection. A computer served by a NAT connection, will connect to their server(s) fine. A solicited connection.

Port forwarding is the exact opposite. You are explicitly enabling any outside connections, welcoming unsolicited data. Port forwarding (typically) only works with one computer because your telling the gateway to 'Look if someone wants to access my webserver its here on my network'.

The Port forwarding stuff Blizzard is talking about concerns those that aren't running some kind of SPI (State full Inspection Firewall), on a hardened network. NAT is intrinsically a SPI. Blizzard's client won't work on a networks hardened against solicited data, i.e., block everything but port 80. Chances are, unless your at work, your network isn't hardened to block any outgoing data. Most ISPs don't block outgoing data, or solicited incoming data. On a hardened network, the WoW data is blocked from leaving the network.

In your specific case TheAaarrrggg, your router is NAT & SPI enabled, page 40 of its manual found here ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Gateway/dgl4300/Manual/DGL-4300_manual_06292005.zip

With 2+ computers each computer opens its own connection, which your router keeps track of.

Blizzards CLIENT, by design must be functional with NAT, or the teeming millions of players would have to have IT experience to get their game working properly, not mentioning having to call their ISP to tell them to 'oh btw open some port'.

Now the downloader is a different story.

NAT sucks, when you want to have a computer act as a server, like when downloading files via Blizzard's downloader. The downloader can work behind a firewall, albeit slowly since its designed to let other customers download data from you. (Does this sound like an unsolicited connection from who knows where with your computer acting as a server? Exactly.) There you need port forwarding for it to work as fast as possible. But it still works without it.

So what does all that mean? 1 computer playing WoW, doing port-forwarding may or may not make anything better, but won't hurt anything either. 2+ computers playing WoW, you don't use port-forwarding.

192.168.0.1 > Advanced > Firewall > NAT ENDPOINT FILTERING

You need to set your firewall to UDP=Address UDP=Endpoint. If that doesn't work, you may have to set up some port triggers, but that isn't going to be easy, though it probably won't be needed. Let me know how it goes.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 12:25:58 PM »

Wow, nice find.

Well, if you think about it for a minute, say you and you buddies what to play the PC game, any pc game, the game usually has a option on how it connects, host or connect to a host. So you guys decide on who's going to host. The host tells everyone what there public IP address is and then the buddies input that on there side. So when they try to connect, since a router is in-line on the hosts network, it by default, for security and safety reasons, will block these connection, unless, the router has been told by the host to allow and port forward any connection on said port to his/her gaming host PC. This allows the connections to be made. The routers are set up for one PC per port, and I presume per application or game. Now if the host pc didn't have a router in-line and directly connected to the ISP modem, i.e. cable modem, then port forwarding wouldn't be needed either and the connections would be made just by giving the public IP address and any possible installed firewall software would need to be adjusted to allow these connections.

Now this wouldn't be needed or happen on say your having a LAN party at your house. You bring all ur buddies over with there PCs and such, set everyone up around the dinner table. Someone has to start (host) the game that your going to play. All the PC are connected on the same network behind the router and firewall. and the switch just handles the traffic and connections on the LAN side.  I did this a couple of times. Sure is fun. 

I do wonder if using GameFuel and setting up multiple PC would work for PC gaming. I havn't tried this since I only game once in a while on Diablo II and Halo2 for PC and the Gaming is set up for XBL. Gamefuel is setup for my 2 xbox consoles and works great. However still think that it's just basic and simple, One host, multiple clients. Theres no need for multiple hosts for PC gaming. I don't think you can connect multiple clients to multiple hosts at the same time, at least in gaming. Doesn't mean that the clients can't set up Gaming either for there PCs.

My 2 cents

herrjosua

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2010, 03:21:47 PM »

I thought it was a easy answer, but after some digging around, your right. This is a toughfy.  I found this post http://forums.devshed.com/networking-help-109/multiple-computers-playing-world-of-warcraft-333793.html which I will repost here since I find it pretty helpful:

Dear TheAaarrrggg:

Your setup is correct, the problem is not on your network segment.

I certified with A+, Linux+ and Network+.

I play WoW also, and I have lag, just as you do, same times of day

My setup is significantly more hardcore, with a dedicated PC running BSD acting as my gateway, and I still lag out at peak times.

Why is your setup correct?:

WoW's client only sends data along a stream that your computer requested to open. When you sign on to their game, your soliciting their server(s) to initiate a connection. A computer served by a NAT connection, will connect to their server(s) fine. A solicited connection.

Port forwarding is the exact opposite. You are explicitly enabling any outside connections, welcoming unsolicited data. Port forwarding (typically) only works with one computer because your telling the gateway to 'Look if someone wants to access my webserver its here on my network'.

The Port forwarding stuff Blizzard is talking about concerns those that aren't running some kind of SPI (State full Inspection Firewall), on a hardened network. NAT is intrinsically a SPI. Blizzard's client won't work on a networks hardened against solicited data, i.e., block everything but port 80. Chances are, unless your at work, your network isn't hardened to block any outgoing data. Most ISPs don't block outgoing data, or solicited incoming data. On a hardened network, the WoW data is blocked from leaving the network.

In your specific case TheAaarrrggg, your router is NAT & SPI enabled, page 40 of its manual found here ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Gateway/dgl4300/Manual/DGL-4300_manual_06292005.zip

With 2+ computers each computer opens its own connection, which your router keeps track of.

Blizzards CLIENT, by design must be functional with NAT, or the teeming millions of players would have to have IT experience to get their game working properly, not mentioning having to call their ISP to tell them to 'oh btw open some port'.

Now the downloader is a different story.

NAT sucks, when you want to have a computer act as a server, like when downloading files via Blizzard's downloader. The downloader can work behind a firewall, albeit slowly since its designed to let other customers download data from you. (Does this sound like an unsolicited connection from who knows where with your computer acting as a server? Exactly.) There you need port forwarding for it to work as fast as possible. But it still works without it.

So what does all that mean? 1 computer playing WoW, doing port-forwarding may or may not make anything better, but won't hurt anything either. 2+ computers playing WoW, you don't use port-forwarding.

192.168.0.1 > Advanced > Firewall > NAT ENDPOINT FILTERING

You need to set your firewall to UDP=Address UDP=Endpoint. If that doesn't work, you may have to set up some port triggers, but that isn't going to be easy, though it probably won't be needed. Let me know how it goes.

I assume when you mean set my firewall to UDP=Address UDP=Endpoint you mean set the UDP End Point Filtering to Address Restricted ( which is it currently set up to) and TCP Endpoint Filtering to End Point Independent ( currently set to Port and Address Restricted)?

herrjosua

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2010, 03:27:15 PM »

I presume that this one PC is the host of the game and these Pcs are all on the same network?

FYI, Help displays the following:
"This section is used to open multiple ports or a range of ports in your router and redirect data through those ports to a single PC on your network."

In answer to your question. None of my computers are hosting the game. My computers are acting like clients.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2010, 05:16:25 PM »

Then Gaming shouldn't effect any of the clients going out and connecting to the host. Regarding UDP and TCP EndPoint. Have you tried both UDP/TCP for EndPoint Independent? This is what I currently use for my system and seems to work well. I can connect to any thing with my 2 xboxes and all PCs on the network.

Trikein

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2010, 11:22:01 PM »

You cant host a game with WoW(minus Guild Hosts), everything is centralized servers. And theres ALOT of servers. I think your thinking back to the days of Starcraft and UT.

Another thing misunderstood is that Gamefuel will make your connection better. Packet priority only matters when there multiple sources of traffic on the network. If your wired direct to your router, and your the only PC online, Gamefuel doesn't matter. Also, Gamefuel won't make your connection any faster then the performance of the connection through your gateway(modem).

Last misunderstanding; latency is god. So many people look at their ping rates in WoW and MW2 and think all their problems will go away if they can get under a certian number. Its just not the case. I know people with great MS which have all kinds of lag. And people with horrible latency that are fine. Granted, theres a limit to this, and its never a bad thing to have low latency under most conditions, but its not the only thing to consider.