• March 28, 2024, 06:12:09 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: Western Digital Advanced Format Drives - Read before you buy!  (Read 166875 times)

James_CSE

• Level 1 Member
Re: Western Digital Advanced Format Drives - Read before you buy!
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2010, 08:08:25 PM »

Thanks for the info ... I have always bought WD drives ... They should have made this 4K advanced format issue more well known ... I guess that's how they push new HW w/ new specs out there.
The next drive I buy might not start with a "WD".

Anyway I'll remove my WD10EARS from my DNS-323 and make a usb drive out of it.
I currently have a WD10EACS 16MB Cache - not listed as a supported drive here - but no 4K issues
Does anyone know of any potential issues with a WD10EACS for the DNS-323?
Other than WD not supporting it. Thanks

jimsy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2010, 10:07:21 PM »

I just purchased this NAS today unfortunately frys didn't happen to have a big sign saying dont buy wd20ears so that's what i did...

given that 4k AFT is incompatible does that mean that wd20eadds drives will work in a 323? Or are there additional issues with using 2TB hard drives in raid 1 mode?

Rodent

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2010, 10:54:25 PM »

Sorry for asking again but I don't think my question was answered.

If I use the WD20EARS drives in standard mode NOT Raid 1 mode will I have problems ???

I can see that plenty of people are having problems with Raiding these drives but I don't want to Raid them.

R.

Boogieman

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2010, 04:08:25 AM »

Thanks for the info ... I have always bought WD drives ... They should have made this 4K advanced format issue more well known ... I guess that's how they push new HW w/ new specs out there.
The next drive I buy might not start with a "WD".

Anyway I'll remove my WD10EARS from my DNS-323 and make a usb drive out of it.
I currently have a WD10EACS 16MB Cache - not listed as a supported drive here - but no 4K issues
Does anyone know of any potential issues with a WD10EACS for the DNS-323?
Other than WD not supporting it. Thanks
I am using 1 WD10EACS-22D6B0 in JBOD and it seems to work fine.
I will buy a new large drive soon and i love the cool and quiet WD greens, so I will try to get one from the supported list since D-link seems to have huge problems with supporting certain WD drives :(

The current drive never hibernates with FW 1.08 though (not even after disconnecting cable longer than "set hibernation time" - the blue HD Light is allways ON and so is the NAS)
After searching google it seems i need to reset to defaults and enter all settings again.
I had a huge problem when i installed 1.08 - since all files on drive seemed to disappear after loading config from 1.06FW. At last I reset to defaults and loaded it again - removed alla accounts and re-added them and then i got the files.

Did not think it should be this messy getting a NAS to function as specified.

bennychains

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2010, 06:58:06 PM »

Who the heck checks the vendor's website before buying electronic to make sure there is only a specific list of items that are compatible with it?

Am i suppose to check CusianArt(dot)com before i buy their coffee grinder to make sure it can blend all types of coffee beans? 

Im like almost irritated.

I just bought: 2 WD7501AALS brand new, and this DNS323.  The drives are in the mail, and doubt are returnable / exchangeable.

Does anyone know if those drives are compatible? 
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=487 

ill update when i get them.     

Buhric

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2010, 04:51:55 AM »

dont start comparing coffee beans with hard drives.....

let me you ask this...

when you buy a motherboard.... do you make sure it will support the CPU you are buying for it..

or when you buy a TV... do you make sure it has the inputs you need?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 04:56:52 AM by Buhric »

dosborne

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2010, 05:24:52 AM »

When a product such as the DNS323 releases BEFORE a HDD manufacturer makes a new drive (EARS) with a new technology (AFT), it is pretty hard for DLink to claim or reject support. I guess their crystal ball was broken that day.

I think DLink has done a great job with their product and is significantly better than some vendors in providing updates. It has encouraged me to buy more DLink products based on my experience with the DNS323.
3 x DNS-323 with 2 x 2TB WD Drives each for a total of 12 TB Storage and Backup. Running DLink Firmware v1.08 and Fonz Fun Plug (FFP) v0.5 for improved software support.

bennychains

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2010, 07:55:33 AM »

dont start comparing coffee beans with hard drives.....

let me you ask this...

when you buy a motherboard.... do you make sure it will support the CPU you are buying for it..

or when you buy a TV... do you make sure it has the inputs you need?

its more like you buying a TV to find out certain channels are not compatible.
Its more like buying a motherboard/chip to find out that its not compatible with any previous components you have that youre trying to pair with it.

but i found out my model hard drives are compatible, so this part is a non-issue for me now.   Though i cant get the print server to work.  probably cause my printer is incompatible.

so let me you ask this...

When a product such as the DNS323 releases BEFORE a HDD manufacturer makes a new drive (EARS) with a new technology (AFT), it is pretty hard for DLink to claim or reject support. I guess their crystal ball was broken that day.

I think DLink has done a great job with their product and is significantly better than some vendors in providing updates. It has encouraged me to buy more DLink products based on my experience with the DNS323.

yeah i know, i was just irked that i just bought two drives that may not work with it  but then i found a compatibility list that showed it does.

http://www.mydlink.co.kr/backoffice/notice/file/DNS-323_Compatible_Lists_-_20100108(0322105531).pdf

Is this list legit?

lozinthevilla

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2010, 01:23:43 PM »

Great thread! Just wish I'd read it last week before ordering some WD EARS drives!

whywouldyoudothat

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2010, 12:19:13 AM »

So....its only these drives with models EARS etc..

If mine is FALS it should be fine?

dosborne

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2010, 04:03:36 PM »

The WD posted earlier in the thread lists the specific drive models.
3 x DNS-323 with 2 x 2TB WD Drives each for a total of 12 TB Storage and Backup. Running DLink Firmware v1.08 and Fonz Fun Plug (FFP) v0.5 for improved software support.

OlegMZ

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2010, 08:42:16 PM »

OK. I have NAS-323 with 2 WD15EARS as RAID-1 with EXT3  already 30% filled with files. What should I expect in the future with these "unsupported" drives? Data loss? Speed degradation?
So far speed has been on 1 Gb link with no jumbo  130-160 Mbit/s (on new empty drives) and 7-8 MBytes/s (72-85 Mbit/s) over 100 Mbit/s network (I ran NAStester and watched link utilization at the same time).
Any forecast?

amunoz_tico

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2010, 02:38:11 PM »

As my supplier no longer supply WD20EADS drives and only supply's WD20EARS drives and the only 2TB drive on the Supported Hard Drive list is the WD20EADS what 2TB drive should one get?

If I plan to only use the DNS323 in standard drive mode can I use the WD20EARS drives with no problems?

Thanks
R.

I still can get the WD20EADS model from some online retails. Here one of those = http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140408833777    It is the BEST price available that I have seen !!

Regards!

Rodent

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2010, 04:22:16 PM »

I still can get the WD20EADS model from some online retails. Here one of those = http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140408833777    It is the BEST price available that I have seen !!

Regards!

Thanks for that but I am in Australia so the cost involved will be to much for these drives. I checked the Australian eBay and the cost is still to much, I would prefer to buy HDD's locally for warranty return as I have had problem in the past with returning HDD's for warranty.

Thanks
R.

MyDNS323

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2010, 10:45:20 AM »

I noticed that NetGear has announced that they will support the 4K drives (it "will be ready when it is ready"), and that Drobo and Synology already supports them. It definitely sounds like it is a firmware update. While I don't expect a solution tomorrow, I would hope that D-Link is working on this problem now.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11