• March 28, 2024, 03:29:56 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: VLANS, Trunking, and TAG vs untaged (again!)  (Read 69222 times)

dajohnso

• Level 1 Member
VLANS, Trunking, and TAG vs untaged (again!)
« on: August 20, 2009, 08:35:42 AM »

So, here we go again. I have read numerous messages asking the same question and yet not one of the answers was clearly able to provide a complete solution with example. This website looks fantastic and the forum is a great benefit but given the number of years that the product has been out I am flabbergasted at the lack of white papers and examples on setting up VLANS/Trunks especially with the number of requests for info on setting up multiple switches with several vlans.

Let me prefice this with, I have been working with Cisco products for years. I understand TCP/IP networking, routing, VLANs, and trunking quite well (just not the dlink way). I have tried several times to no avail in getting what I consider a very simple task completed. Consider the following:

I have a basic understanding of what I think needs to be done but every time I try it I lose all connectivity between the switches. ???

Here is what I tried: I created vlans 2, 3. I placed ports 1-3 in vlan 2 untagged. ports 23-24 in vlan 3 untagged. Made port 25, 26 trunks and placed in vlans 2 & 3 as tagged for this trunk? At least that what I think I did, every time I go to look at the vlans, there appears to be random settings for egress, none, tagged, untagged, etc... I prefer CLI but I tried both. The more descriptive the better on any answer (a list of cli comands for each switch configuration would be fantastic). When I get everything working I hope to write a whitepaper to but this issue to bed! 8)

I reference vlans 2, 3 here because I read somewhere to leave vlan 1 alone and make sure that its untagged on all ports?

Fatman

• Poweruser
  • Level 9 Member
Re: VLANS, Trunking, and TAG vs untaged (again!)
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 09:06:48 AM »

You can use VLAN 1, in this situation leaving VLAN 1 alone would actually be detrimental.  Either use it or remove it from all ports.

You describe the correct process, below is a CLI script for it, I haven't tried it in silicon since I am typing it from memory, but where it is wrong it will be obviously wrong.

create vlan vlan2 tag 2
create vlan vlan3 tag 3
config vlan default delete 0-26
config vlan vlan2 add untagged 1-3
config vlan vlan2 add tagged 25-26
config vlan vlan3 add untagged 23-24
config vlan vlan3 add tagged 25-26
save
non progredi est regredi

dajohnso

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 10:41:48 AM »

yeah, when I read "do not touch vlan 1..." it didnt make sense from my experience. Right now the defualt vlan is on all ports and devices 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, 11, 12, 13 are all on vlan 1. I have no issue with leaving them there. So is the following correct then? (the diagram was "generic", in reality, I only need ports 23, 24 on a new vlan, the existing cameras are all on vlan 1 (defualt) already. I am adding devices on ports 23, 24 of each switch for a different network (ie: not cameras)

config vlan default add untagged 1-22
create vlan vlan2 tag 2
config vlan default delete 23-26
config vlan vlan2 add untagged 23-24
config vlan vlan2 add tagged 25-26
save

I dont see anything here that makes ports 25 and 26 "trunks"? Dont I have to enable vlan trunk (remember its a 3028P) and then add the tagged vlans to ports 25, 26? There is an option in the GUI that specifically says "vlan trunk" which is disabled, when I enable it I can add ports 25, 26 to it. Does this just do the same thing as the cli commands given?

new diagram
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 11:09:29 AM by dajohnso »

zebfink

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 12:47:31 AM »

Dlink mashes up words between devices in hopes of simplifying things.
But it causes too much confusion.

On the DES-1228, "Trunking" doesn't mean what you think it does.
It means Link Aggregation... tying multiple ports together for increased bandwidth capacity.
Nothing to do with VLAN Trunking.... the way you are use to.

Ignore the Trunking section and put it back to default settings.

To do what you want to do in your picture you just have to do what was posted:

VLAN-01:
Ports 1-3 = untagged
Ports 25-26 = tagged

VLAN-02:
Ports 23-24 = untagged
Ports 25-26 = tagged

This will allow the same VLAN ports to talk to each other across all the switches

Hope this helps

Zeb

Fatman

• Poweruser
  • Level 9 Member
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 10:21:06 AM »

Not only is this a dead thread, but you are speaking to the wrong product.

It is worth noting, however, that the issue of "mashing up termonology" is an interesting one.

VLAN Trunking is (or was) a Cisco catchphrase, and link trunking (as in link aggregation) is vendor neutral to my knowledge.  Personally, I avoid using the term trunk at all to avoid confusion, instead referring to tagged VLAN links and LACP groups.  There is no terminology that would be universally unambiguous as long as every vendor has to reinvent the wheel for every "cutting edge" feature, and ride that terminology until it ceases to support that feature.  Standards support the development of homogeneous terminology if nothing else, which makes them worthwhile if only for that reason.
non progredi est regredi

bit_bucket

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 07:49:15 PM »

So do any of the proposed solutions work?  This seems to be a problem that many people suffer from.  Like the OP, I too, am having difficulties with this despite having vast hands-on experience with true enterprise-class equipment implementing much more sophisticated solutions than simply trying to trunk VLANs.

Unfortunately in the consulting world one sometimes comes across a business (a non-profit in this case) that can't afford better equipment.

-Bit

Fatman

• Poweruser
  • Level 9 Member
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 09:51:10 AM »

All of our managed switches support IEEE802.1q fully.  If there is some confusion as to terminology, or what config is needed, then give me the scenario.
non progredi est regredi

Planck

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013, 11:59:58 AM »

Here is my advice for setting up VLAN on the Dlink products:

Admin VLAN=1 and should be untagged ALL the way through the network... can be used for discovery of wireless products too. If you don't want a port to have access to this vlan, then = Not member.

ALL other VLAN's = tagged between switches/trunks, and untagged out of the destination port. if you remember this, you will never lack connection:-)

If you are using tag-aware equipment, then you need to tag too:-)

Did this make sense?

djshaunvt

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 01:39:24 AM »

Hi there.

Just a further question to Planck.

i understand your comment fully and thanks for clearing that up.

I just would like to know if tagged option would still work if those ports in question are members of LACP group.

I have 3 ports / LAN Cables between switches in a LACP group. Would tagging all of these ports send the Vlan info over these ports in question. Or rather can a LACP group of ports tag aswell.

Thanks very much..